Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

Yeah, I don't get it still, if they're already using the amazing translation, then the licensing and production costs are all this Kickstarter is for? Isn't that uh, what a company is for? I dunno, I just hate seeing bullshit like this on Kickstarter. It does not belong. Every company and their sister company is on Kickstarter these days, even ones with publishers, it's sickening what it has become. Like that Shenmue 3 recent "Double dip" kickstarter.

That's the Twitter post I saw on Reddit and I very much disagree with this, and people are talking about stretch goals like not even translating Alternative? I mean, that's a waste. Muv Luv Extra is nice and all, but it's kinda shit compared to Unlimited / Alternative, so if you miss out on THAT...well, what is even the point?

I read through all of them using Amat's translation and they were incredibly high quality, and I've not seen finer ones even in professionally translated VNs, so now hearing that they need all this money and are going to translate it again...I somehow feel like the new translation is going to be awful. Above posts mention they aren't re-using the old one.  I see no reason for this, it'd be for their own benefit. Contact Amat, ask for the rights to it, say they'll be given credit, do a quick QC just incase, use the Kickstarter for Licensing and production costs(What even? The thing is already made, licensing costs should be it.), and just sell it with their patch once they have the rights to, and profit, far more than retranslating it would do.

I just see no good cause to re-translate it. It made sense with something like Higurashi, because it had a shitty fan translation, but something like Muv Luvs?  I just don't want another JAST USA situation on our hands.

Also, reading through this topic abit more, people are saying it's going to censor the excessive violence and gore? The H was always censored, and I don't really care about that, but censoring the violence, gore and all that? In a game like Muv Luv? That's insanity. The whole VN is about hopelessness, to censor it...why? America has no problem with gore and blood.  We hate nipples, surely, but we're ok with watching a TV series about someones organs being pulled out slowly and all that.

It's cool this getting an Official release, more chance for people to play it, I think that's great, but so much already has me worried what with this talk of "Professional Japanese translators", and censored CG's.

Alternative will not be a  stretch goal but part of the base goal. They will not be translating it again, but using Amaterasu's translations. Also Amaterasu's translations, despite your feelings on them, are highly criticized throughout the scene and are considered to be in heavy need of translation checking and editing by many people. Also it is highly possible that Degica  would not be able to do this without Kickstarter, which is the entire point of the service in my eyes.

Also, licensing is the single biggest cost for VN translations. Not paying the translators or programmers or QCers, but paying the original license holders for the game and also the voicework. The costs for that are WAY higher than paying your staff and can get quite extreme. That's why kickstarter is needed.

Contact Amat, ask for the rights to it, say they'll be given credit, do a quick QC just incase, use the Kickstarter for Licensing and production costs(What even? The thing is already made, licensing costs should be it.), and just sell it with their patch once they have the rights to, and profit, far more than retranslating it would do.

You're misinformed on some things. Sekai Project is not involved with this, Degica is the company doing this, and they ARE working off of the translation that has been around for years. The licensing and production costs are still high and they're still running a kickstarter because of that. 

Also, it's starting soon, probably today: https://twitter.com/muvluvseries/status/645569785149980672

OH GOD, Ayamine Kei is one of the heroines that gets a pillowcase! Depending on how neat the collectors box is I might have to actually find a part time job while I'm still in college. Im actually kinda hopefull that the same thing that happened to the Grisaia kickstarter happens again so I don't have to get off my fat ass to support my addiction. 

I was really hyped about the Muv-Luv kickstarter but in the end... I don't even know if I should back it...

They probably won't bother improving the script at all, they don't seem very serious (this title is the cherry on the cake after the way they handled the pre-campaign lol) I already have the game and the add-ons are kinda lackluster. I'd like to have that Collector's Box on my shelf but the exclusive artbook seem really slim, too. The figurines don't seem to be kickstarter exclusives. Plushie and jackets are really expensive and who the fuck even buys dakis. I'm really disappointed by Integral Works and Lunatic Dawn being digital only.

Idk. Maybe I'll still get the box. But I'm no sure.

It sure is going to get through the roof though.

The kickstarter is now up at this link. Below are some quick details that I found interesting.

Main Project: Goal 250,000 (as of posting this it's already at 100,000).

I would like to also mention that anyone picking up any version of the physical edition will also be receiving the digital versions with it (likewise if you get the tier of the physical ost you also get a copy of the digital).

There is no mention whatsoever of the 18+ version anywhere on the kickstarter but they've already said elsewhere (facebook, prefundia, twitter) that it would be released as a free patch. A bunch of people will likely overreact to the lack of any mention on the kickstarter but kickstarter is cracking down on 18+ even more now that they switched to a benefit corporation so it is in there best interest to simply not mention it. Once the kickstarter is done they will likely be able to send an email to interested backers but not until it ends.

Release is planned for Extra/Unlimited in March 2016 and Alternative by the end of Summer 2016. 

Translators: Mix of dedicated fan translators as well as professional translators from Japan to work directly with the creators of the series. 

Our main focus is to provide a polished, high quality, English release of Muv-Luv (Extra and Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative for the PC. This will include:

• The latest and most up-to-date HD graphics available. We'll be using assets not only from the PS3 version of Muv-Luv (Extra + Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative (including Takeru's voice) but updated stuff directly from âge-soft. 
  • An updated game engine to ensure full compatibility with Windows 7, 8, and 10. (The current version only supports Win XP and 7)
  • Updated User Interface, Options, and Menus. Additional enhanced functions never before seen in any version of Muv-Luv (Extra + Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative.

- Please Remember if you prefer reading muv-luv without Takeru's voice they will have the option to mute it.

Stretch Goals

400,000: At almost double the goal there are actually quite a few interesting additions that may be added

• Additional Brand New CGs  
  • Additional OSTs and BGMs 
  • Special Unlockable Content 
    - All Original/New content to be specified

- 500,000: Vita and Android Ports (seems rather than choosing one they decided to just offer both...they've worked with Sony before as well and Android is not Apple so this likely is quite possible)

- 600,000: In my personal opinion this is actually pretty damn cool even if  a physical version would have been better...by going digital though they can do both plus there might be some new stuff included in the official world guide.

• A digital lore browser with content from Lunatic Dawn and Integral Works in English. 
  • An official guide to the Muv-luv world put together by the Muv-Luv team with never before seen content including images, lore, backstories, and more!

- 720,000: The final stretch goal is for two games originally only on PS3...this would port them to Windows and would likely be available to a Japanese audience as well assuming they had any interest in it. Photon Melodies and Photon Flowers each have pieces of a few different smaller muv-luv games which we may never actually get.

I'm unsure how much I'm willing to back but I'm currently thinking the 150 tier since the collector's box seems interesting plus once stretch goals are reached you get all the digital ones for free at $150 and above.

afOMkHM.png

note: The artbook does look quite thin but my guess is they haven't actually decided what to put in it yet so not sure we should base it on that. I also kinda want the damn destroyer plushy but not sure it's worth paying an extra 50 dollars

zq3jsaH.png

The best deal in this overall though is definitely the $80 dollar tiers (digital and physical editions of both games or a digital edition of both games with a digital OST). If you want just the two (technically three) games then you can get just those for $60. The point I'm trying to make is that this kickstarter's deals early on are a lot better than frontwing/sekai projects for Grisaia trilogy.