Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

I like the Muv-Luv series, but I can't even imagine what they could legitimately do with all the extra money that they aren't going to need to get the work done. By the time this is over they'll be able to create about 3 new games with the extra cash if they wanted to.

I can dream, I guess.

Nope, kickstarter campaigns like that will require to raise 2-3 million if you want them to "create 3 new games". There's way too much money involved with game development. Muv Luv kickstarter campaign is basically remastering and localization (westernizing) of an existing game.... They aren't exactly creating something from scratch or reinventing the wheel here.

Marketing dollars most likely by the end of the day but I doubt they'll have extra money to play around with.... Technically, even with all this money, this will barely cover half the costs due to all the fees and upkeep...... It all depends on how profitable the sales are going to be afterward once they launch this whole thing.

CeruleanGamer, on 26 Sept 2015 - 9:06 PM, said:

Nope, kickstarter campaigns like that will require to raise 2-3 million if you want them to "create 3 new games". There's way too much money involved with development. This is basically remastering and localization of an existing game.... They aren't exactly creating the wheel here.

Marketing dollars most likely by the end of the day but I doubt they'll have extra money to play around with.... Technically, even with all this money, this will barely cover half the costs due to all the fees and upkeep...... It all depends on how profitable the sales are going to be afterward once they launch this whole thing.

Which is a bit worrying, considering pretty much the entire demographic that are likely to purchase MuvLuv will have already backed the kickstarter.

It's sad that you're absolutely correct. 

I'm not sure how much life this has in it though...it's almost at 400,000 but I find it unlikely we'll get to the codex...let alone vita/android. I really think they should have swapped those around. People are just going to stop and be content with 400,000 stretch goal knowing there is very little chance for the 600,000 goal. I also don't think the codex would need to cost nearly 100,000 to throw in. The kickstarter is lacking in some very basic ways to help them get further in their goals. I think they needed some smaller in between stretch goals but whatever I guess.

I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of life yet.  You have the typical final 72 hour push, plus I've seen people on Reddit say that they're waiting to see the Vita stretch goal unlocked before they pledge in.  I personally am planning on upping my pledge when we get close to the end once I've got a more concrete grasp on how much cash I'm going to have available.  Actually, I would have pledged more already, but I had to spend $500 to replace my air conditioner, so I'm down from where I was expecting to be right now.

Yeah, KS works funny like that.

There's usually hundreds of thousands of dollars in people waiting to pledge...once it reaches it's goal or a certain stretch goal. It's ironic because if these same people just...pledged, the goal or stretch goal would be hit instantly. It's just human nature, even though you lose nothing if a KS fails...and you can cancel your pledge at any time before the KS ends...and the money isn't taken out right away anyways...

That's true, but in some ways, I think it works out in the campaign's favor.  Getting some good momentum at the start is great, of course, but having the inevitable lull can also be a good thing because it makes people work harder to get the word out.  I mean, obviously the best thing would be if we could just smash through all the stretch goals from the start, taking degica and age by surprise and forcing them to come up with new and exciting stretch goals to keep people interested in pledging(e.g. Bloodstained pretty much did this towards the end of its campaign), but if the goal is to hit the existing stretch goals, giving people motivation to spread the word is as important as getting the people already interested to pledge in.

Lastly, confidence in the product. The Muv Luv team would not have started this campaign in the first place if it isn't gonna sell. With Muv Luv already in existence for many years and the VN market slowly expanding due to different "mediums" and sources of getting them, it is about the right time to fully monetize on this opportunity. They already built the "standard" for "ideal" visual novel by getting overwhelmingly positive reviews throughout the years and having a VN that's ranked very highly in many VN websites and stores, so it's rather easy to get people to commit to pledges.

I'm just surprised they had the balls to translate it after it's already been done by fans, I would assume that everyone already had it since it's "free" and no one would bother with a paid version. Good on them.

I wish they did the kickstarter in Yen and not US dollars, our dollar is about 30% weaker in just a matter of months. So that $300 pledge has now turned into very close to $500. Our dollar compared to Yen is still very similar.

I'm just surprised they had the balls to translate it after it's already been done by fans, I would assume that everyone already had it since it's "free" and no one would bother with a paid version. Good on them.

I wish they did the kickstarter in Yen and not US dollars, our dollar is about 30% weaker in just a matter of months. So that $300 pledge has now turned into very close to $500. Our dollar compared to Yen is still very similar.

They can't.  KS is a US corporation.  To even kickstart anything you actually need to have a US business/corporation in the US.  Saw this problem before on another KS project when the creator wanted to see if he could do it in Canadian dollars.

Here's a quick update they posted about meeting the first stretch goal;

"Hi Everyone, 
Wow, we’ve just hit our first stretch goal! 
Thank you all so much!

This means that the following are now going to be a part of the Muv-Luv Trilogy: 
- Additional brand new CGs 
- Additional OSTs and BGMs
- Minor voice acting improvements of some scenes with English voices
- Special unlockable content

We’ll be providing more info on what exactly will be included with this over the next few weeks. We’re also planning an update for early October that will better showcase some of the merchandise available.

The next stretch goal is the Android and Vita port at 500k. I know a lot of you are excited for this and hopefully we can make it there!

We’re also working hard to get our hands on some additional TSFs to refill some of the reward tiers that have been selling out amazingly fast. We should have an update on this by Monday.

Thank you once again for the amazing response to our Kickstarter and all the great comments, feedback, and encouragement you’ve been sending us. We are truly humbled.

The Muv-Luv Team

I'm just surprised they had the balls to translate it after it's already been done by fans, I would assume that everyone already had it since it's "free" and no one would bother with a paid version. Good on them.I wish they did the kickstarter in Yen and not US dollars, our dollar is about 30% weaker in just a matter of months. So that $300 pledge has now turned into very close to $500. Our dollar compared to Yen is still very similar.

I supported it because on Windows 8 parts are unplayable and the resolution sucks hopefully this release fixes those problems.

kingdomcome, on 27 Sept 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:kingdomcome, on 27 Sept 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Um, did you completely forget about Clannad and Steins;Gate? Both had fantranslations out for quite awhile before someone offically localized them. There is also that vid on the kickstarter (around the 5:16-5:33 mark to be exact) that seems to hint that if the kickstarter does well they will work to release other MuvLuv titles to the west. It's kinda like what alicesoft is doing with mangagamer, except age chose their biggest title and not a relatively unkown vn that didn't even sell all that well in Japan.

Now at $420,000.Very good pace :)

Hurr hurr, blaze it up with Muv-Luv, brah  :makina:

I'm thinking about backing either the $80 or the $150 tier.  I'd rather only back the $150 tier if the Codex gets funded, and if the photons got funded that'd be the cherry on top, but I'm still kind of on the fence.  Should I just back $150 and change it at the end if the Codex doesn't happen?  I've only Kickstarted one project before (HRP), so I'm still kinda cautious about using Kickstarter, since I don't have much experience with it.

Zenophilious, on 27 Sept 2015 - 2:43 PM, said:

Hurr hurr, blaze it up with Muv-Luv, brah  :makina:

I'm thinking about backing either the $80 or the $150 tier.  I'd rather only back the $150 tier if the Codex gets funded, and if the photons got funded that'd be the cherry on top, but I'm still kind of on the fence.  Should I just back $150 and change it at the end if the Codex doesn't happen?  I've only Kickstarted one project before (HRP), so I'm still kinda cautious about using Kickstarter, since I don't have much experience with it.

I've kickstarted a few projects and it's pretty easy to change your tier amount at the last minute, so you could go either way.

Um, did you completely forget about Clannad and Steins;Gate? Both had fantranslations out for quite awhile before someone offically localized them. There is also that vid on the kickstarter (around the 5:16-5:33 mark to be exact) that seems to hint that if the kickstarter does well they will work to release other MuvLuv titles to the west. It's kinda like what alicesoft is doing with mangagamer, except age chose their biggest title and not a relatively unkown vn that didn't even sell all that well in Japan.

Yeah, you're right. I'm surprised that they bothered to KS as well. I backed them myself, even though I've completed them.I suppose I think of most people as pirates..

They can't.  KS is a US corporation.  To even kickstart anything you actually need to have a US business/corporation in the US.  Saw this problem before on another KS project when the creator wanted to see if he could do it in Canadian dollars.

Actually, more countries are accepted now. Australia and Canada can actually do it in their currency. Not sure about Japan though..

I'm getting mighty annoyed with people complaining about the cost of tiers and add-ons. The primary reason you should be backing a kickstarter is to help fund a project, the rewards are just bonuses that come with it. Kickstarter is a crowdfunding website, not a online store.

IMO many companies are treating it as a store. I'd say Sekai project has done a bit of that.

Also, you can pledge any amount and retract it. I almost had to pay 10,000$ because of that, so be careful, as you can't pull your pledge out if it would make a game go under it's goal. But  since this has hit it. I learned my lesson then, but it was kinda fun to troll witht he 10,000$+ random donations.

As for you saying Kickstarter is a funding website - not really, not in the traditional sense. Since it's inception, it's always been more of a "Pre-order" website. As you get the game usually for 'donating', but it will take years, think of it as advanced pre-ordering.  Nobody is going to give Star Citizen it's 100M for nothing in return, eh?  Same with several other KS. OF course they can complain about how some of the tiers are stupidly priced for what they give. The whole point of KS is to show interest, and that a game will sell.

People who see Kickstarter as "donation" website, obviously haven't been on it long.

@KT89 what do you mean the resolution sucks? It's widescreen for me, and it loosk pretty beautiful on my 27', 1440p monitor or my 50'' TV.   If you're thinking they're gonna go back and re-daw all the art assets in 4k or some such...you're wrong. Touch up here or there, maybe a filter, but yeah, it looks good enough as is.

Also, off-topic, but  people keep mentioning that Grisala serie sin this thread, and it's KS did reach almost 500k I see - is it any good? Worth it for the story, basically? I looked at on VNDB and I thought it looked like harem comedy.

Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:

Also, you can pledge any amount and retract it. I almost had to pay 10,000$ because of that, so be careful, as you can't pull your pledge out if it would make a game go under it's goal. But  since this has hit it. I learned my lesson then, but it was kinda fun to troll witht he 10,000$+ random donations.

You are an asshole man.

Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:

As for you saying Kickstarter is a funding website - not really, not in the traditional sense. Since it's inception, it's always been more of a "Pre-order" website. As you get the game usually for 'donating', but it will take years, think of it as advanced pre-ordering.  Nobody is going to give Star Citizen it's 100M for nothing in return, eh?  Same with several other KS. OF course they can complain about how some of the tiers are stupidly priced for what they give. The whole point of KS is to show interest, and that a game will sell.

People who see Kickstarter as "donation" website, obviously haven't been on it long.

Perhaps you have a point, but do you really think that these people have any right to complain about the cost of the tsf model when a simple search can find the same product for $50? There was also a twat sandwich earlier that was trying to get a "side-deal" for just a custom sketch because he claimed that the tier cost didn't make sense.

Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:Mkilbride, on 27 Sept 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:

Also, off-topic, but  people keep mentioning that Grisala serie sin this thread, and it's KS did reach almost 500k I see - is it any good? Worth it for the story, basically? I looked at on VNDB and I thought it looked like harem comedy.

It is one of the more known visual novels, so of course opinions are divided. I can say for certain that it isn't a common harem comedy, each of the heroines have a dark past that you discover through their routes.

I'm getting mighty annoyed with people complaining about the cost of tiers and add-ons. The primary reason you should be backing a kickstarter is to help fund a project, the rewards are just bonuses that come with it. Kickstarter is a crowdfunding website, not a online store.

It's not suppose to be, but it is done all the time. In fact, companies do it all the time to increase the incentive to buy their future products and is quite effective if they are high quality. It works well in a marketing perspective. Like Mkilbride said, it's like a pre-ordering website. You get some nice exclusives that normally you wouldn't get if you buy the game later.

Earlier in KS life it could be said that it was for small companies or individual looking for some funding to get something off the ground.  Now really it does feel like a early pre-order store and larger companies do a KS just for marketing buzz and early income to offset there risk.  I think Shenmue 3 probably is the best recent example of this.  Honestly though I don't really have a problem with it too much.