Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

Shoot, with 4 grand pledge, you get your name added on the credits? How cool is that? xD

Wait, people skip the credits anyway? Bummer!

Actually from my understanding they will mention your name in the game as a squad or fort or something...it's not just a credit thing but will be in the actual game. I might be misunderstanding it mind you.

I just backed 200 because I want the destroyer beta plushie. Apparently the beta plushie idea originated from a joke article. I might lower my pledge if they don't manage to hit any of the stretch goals but for now I'll keep this one.

They did mess up though as they needed a few more backer goals spaced out with different rewards since most people will likely just go for the best deal which is the 80 tier. It can still add-up but if more people liked the rewards at higher tiers they might actually be willing to support more.

There is no mention whatsoever of the 18+ version anywhere on the kickstarter but they've already said elsewhere (facebook, prefundia, twitter) that it would be released as a free patch. A bunch of people will likely overreact to the lack of any mention on the kickstarter but kickstarter is cracking down on 18+ even more now that they switched to a benefit corporation so it is in there best interest to simply not mention it. Once the kickstarter is done they will likely be able to send an email to interested backers but not until it ends.

Is that confirmed? I'd like to know before I pump all my hard earned money in to this.

I think there is no chance it reaches the $500k stretch goal. The $400k stretch goal is feasible but will be difficult. 

Yeah with this pacing of funding, we would be lucky to hit $350k, but then again, there is usually a huge influx of pledges on the last 3 days for almost all kickstarter campaigns, so I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly goes up by $100k-150k on the last week.

no +18 version, only 15% of the money goes to license and 32% development? what is development? they are translating the game from 0 not using the amaterasu version at least that's what they say in the KS page...

The Translation 

With more than 2.7 million Japanese characters, the Muv-Luv series is a huge project to translate.

We're assembling a joint task force to tackle this. A mix of dedicated fan translators and professional translators from Japan will work directly with the creators of Muv-Luv series to ensure the highest quality translation for this release.

Is that confirmed? I'd like to know before I pump all my hard earned money in to this.

Considering you posted the entire thing I'm going to assume you mean all of it and say yes.

As for the 18+ part: "It will not be a part of the Kickstarter campaign directly because we have to abide by their rules, however we will have a patch (already officially approved by ixtl) which can be downloaded from our website (or any means possible), and can alter the versions back and forth, and will work 100% for both physical and digital copies. At least that's the idea we have so far. We hope for your understanding, it's the best we can do to support the regular, uncut edition."

I also went digging a bit and found this...

"The physical copy of the game can be installed without Steam using the CD keys provided in the box, and the said keys works for Steam as well. It's the same solution we use for our other games. :)"

they are translating the game from 0 not using the amaterasu version at least that's what they say in the KS page...

If they were actually re-translating it, they'd mention it clearly, so you can assume they won't. The question is the extent to which they'll rework it, and there's absolutely no mention of that, probably because not enough people even care about the translation quality.

no +18 version, only 15% of the money goes to license and 32% development? what is development? they are translating the game from 0 not using the amaterasu version at least that's what they say in the KS page...

18+ will be available via patch. Uncensored will not be available via patch since the patch will still have mosaics. The patch will put in the cut content however and has been confirmed in multiple locations. The game is also being translated from the start butAmaterasu and the Muv-Luv translators working on kiminozu seem like they may be the fan translators they are talking about. Also it's unlikely they are translating it from nothing when considering the expected release dates.

If they were actually re-translating it, they'd mention it clearly, so you can assume they won't. The question is the extent to which they'll rework it, and there's absolutely no mention of that, probably because not enough people even care about the translation quality.

best we know at the moment regarding translation and grammar.

Muv-Luv  kyrt  8 days ago

Hi kyrt,

Good day, thanks for letting us know your concerns. If you’re worried about grammar, we have a full roster of native English speaking staff members who will double check the script. The Japanese translators we have are also special, as some of them have been living in Canada and are quite exceptional when it comes to their English writing and speaking skills.

Last but not the least, we have fan translators and staff aboard the project. Most experienced Visual Novel readers knows well enough that Muv-Luv fans are on a different level. We wouldn't allow low quality translations and removal of important contents from the regular version slide past our eyes, as we want our new players/comrades to experience Muv-Luv series at its best possible form.

We hope this clears out your concerns over translation quality!

best we know at the moment regarding translation and grammar.

Muv-Luv  kyrt  8 days ago

Hi kyrt,

Good day, thanks for letting us know your concerns. If you’re worried about grammar, we have a full roster of native English speaking staff members who will double check the script. The Japanese translators we have are also special, as some of them have been living in Canada and are quite exceptional when it comes to their English writing and speaking skills.

Last but not the least, we have fan translators and staff aboard the project. Most experienced Visual Novel readers knows well enough that Muv-Luv fans are on a different level. We wouldn't allow low quality translations and removal of important contents from the regular version slide past our eyes, as we want our new players/comrades to experience Muv-Luv series at its best possible form.

We hope this clears out your concerns over translation quality!

I don't want to be nasty, but having 'native English speakers' check the script means very little apart from 'the most obvious linguistic mishaps will probably (but not necessarily) be caught'. Having people 'live in Canada' is also irrelevant when talking about 'English writing skills'. They do mention that the translators they've brought on board have exceptional translation and writing abilities, but whether you believe that or not is up to the individual. At the end of the day the proof will be in the product they release, we'll just have to be patient and see what they produce... a practice which doesn't apply to those laying down a lot of money for the Kickstarter, but c'est la vie. Like Down said, I don't think people really care overly much.

I can't believe how much money it has already. That's insane.

I remember famous developers doing Kickstarters with promising new series barely breaking that in the first day. VN fans are scary...

Also, how would a steam Release go? It'd have to be heavily censored, not just for sex, but for violence and gore, no?

I can't wait to see a comparison between the current translation and the one they are releasing.

I can't believe how much money it has already. That's insane.

I remember famous developers doing Kickstarters with promising new series barely breaking that in the first day. VN fans are scary...

Also, how would a steam Release go? It'd have to be heavily censored, not just for sex, but for violence and gore, no?

I can't wait to see a comparison between the current translation and the one they are releasing.

Nah - at least not for the violence/gore - it would be a double-standard when compared against disgusting murder-sims like Hatred, and Steam knows it.

the_dive, on 24 Sept 2015 - 4:31 PM, said:

$720,000 stretch goal for fucking translating side stories? That's the least I would expect from the kickstarter considering they're not retranslating it @_@ My feelings are mixed towards this

To be fair that is quite alot of side stories.

Development costs are likely related to porting the games to the new engine.

I pledged $60.  $25 more just for a box is excessive.  J-List sells entire LE bundles for only $5-10 more.  Honestly that LE should be around $90 rather than $150.

I'm a bit annoyed that they're implying you don't get the stretch goal rewards included unless you pledge $150 or more.  Lame.

$720,000 stretch goal for fucking translating side stories? That's the least I would expect from the kickstarter considering they're not retranslating it @_@ My feelings are mixed towards this

There's like a dozen of them. It's a ton of work actually. It's a fair exchange but heck, it's a real tough goal to get and almost impossible with the way the pacing of pledges are coming in.

Usually KS campaigns post somewhat unrealistic stretch goals like that to increase the rate of overall pledges. It does work VERY EFFECTIVELY especially meeting the minimum goal and you know how to market your stuff especially the exclusives.