Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

Don't read too much into that. The community manager running the Muv Luv twitter account is also doing some CM work for Sekai Project so I guess the crossover will just be for some cross-promotional stuff.

Meanwhile, on their twitter, they're saying an awful lot of stuff needs to be approved by Age. The extra routes aren't even approved yet?? What the hell? They're making a whole lot of really bold claims about what they think they'll be able to do without seeking approval first. 

Don't read too much into that. The community manager running the Muv Luv twitter account is also doing some CM work for Sekai Project so I guess the crossover will just be for some cross-promotional stuff.

Meanwhile, on their twitter, they're saying an awful lot of stuff needs to be approved by Age. The extra routes aren't even approved yet?? What the hell? They're making a whole lot of really bold claims about what they think they'll be able to do without seeking approval first. 

The way I saw it and essentially this confirms it, they are seeing what the fans want most.

Then they'll bring it to Age. Age will either approve or not. If not, they'll bring the 2nd most wanted and so on until they get a bunch of stuff that's approved.

At worst none of it will happen. At best all of the most wanted will happen.

I'll refrain from commenting whether this is smart or not, but I never saw any of it as confirmed, as much as the mere wishes they want to try and make a reality.

I don't see additional routes being created for the game...if anything maybe licensing of other muv-luv games...definitely don't see the anime or additional routes happening which is why I voted for rumbling hearts translation. More information should be revealed at the panel for it.

I don't even care if the original route is also preserved. Having several routes is both tonally and thematically inconsistent with MLA and tampering with it 10 years after like that feels pretty gross. And why are they using terms like "more immersion" like it's fucking skyrim?

Isn't Kiminozo like just as long as Extra/Unlimited + Alternative? Who is going to translate this? And if they intend to raise enough money to translate a title that is just as long as the Muv-Luv series why can't they use that money to fund a retranslation of Muv-luv instead? :blink:

I don't think it's as long as both put together but yes. It's a 4mb script whereas the whole muv luv series is around 5mb. That's still very long and since it would be a translation from scratch it wouldn't be cheap.

And it would probably need licensing for the voices and music and stuff as well, it's not Jam Project but that still can't be cheap.

yeah the whole thing with them going kickstarter is abit...wouldnt have expected that from a company partly owned by 5pb, normally one would think them having enough finacial possibilities to stem it by themselves. dont think that age would milk the fuck out them either, when coming to the costs...

Well, look at Shenmue 3.  Sony is backing the the development but they still did KS to gauge interest.

Well, look at Shenmue 3.  Sony is backing the the development but they still did KS to gauge interest.

Pretty sure that got debunked a while back.  Latest I've seen is that Sony is helping with marketing and the PS4 release, but isn't actually funding the development.

nah sry if i wasnt clear enough with what i meant above. thing is degica is partly owned by 5pb, who are on the other hand a part of age, so yeah dont see them milking eachother when it comes to licensing muv-luv, cause it somehow stays in the "family". of course it can be considered like with shen mue, the ks only for gauging interest, but if so then it should be made more clear. as for now it appears they need the upcoming ks campaign for getting an amount of money together, needed for licensing costs etc. and yeah i know that there are other things that will be pricy, like technical improvement, retranslation etc, nothing they couldnt handle by themselves. Of course if age/mages doesnt like taking the financial gamble with games in english without an kickstarter campaign, looting out if there´s actually enough interest in doing so, than its fine by me, as long as the average backer is informed correctly for what & why his pledge is needed. u simply cant expect every one of them googling things up, only to be on the safe side.
from my point of view kickstarter is supposed to be some sort of plattform, enabling people (companies) who are not able to stem the costs by themselves, getting their projects done, when offered financial help from likeminded people, who might back them up, in case the product gauges catches their eye/gauges their interest - meaning ur broke/non financially independent, but having good ideas/plans, so u getting helped if the campaign succeeds for realizing ur dreams.
In degicas case its the same fuck as with shen mue, where sony actually helping out from the shadows wasnt made completely clear from the start, making backers (unintentionally?) believe they would help some fragile "startup" company/new developer, where it normally should be clear that creating such game DOES cost way more than 2-5m dollars/eur. but you simply cant expect every naive backer beeing well versed in such things, as many of them choose to plege based on the projects page description.
point is main western localizers always talking about jap developers beeing overly reputable, mainly disliking new modells like ks by calling them shady, or non serious, so that they have to look after other opportunitis/ways getting things done, so they wont complain, leading to a future partnership, but on the other hand those who staedily refused going the ks way, are watching now that, whats been considered taboo, beeing stated by themselves (jap devs).

sry for them length of them text/sentences, whats done is done, consider urself happy for me even using dots & spaces...

edit: what i´ve stated above are my personal thoughts, in which i do believe unless proven otherwise & its definitely NOT as i´m spreading missinformation by ill will, cause i´m human, means making failure is apart of my very self.

edit2: cant see the point sony them only helping out abit, considering the actual funds needed creating the game, even if stated by themselves otherwise, be it for granting them the credits alone, or for increasing the likelyhood of one backing.

In degicas case its the same fuck as with shen mue, where sony actually helping out from the shadows wasnt made completely clear from the start, making backers (unintentionally?) believe they would help some fragile "startup" company/new developer.

Exactly the opposite.  With Shenmue 3 there was a lot of hesitation past the initial E3-hype fueled surge for people to pledge because they mistakenly believed that Sony was going to be footing the bill, and that the Kickstarter was just being used to gauge interest.  The truth turned out to be that Sony is not contributing to the game's development, so Shenmue 3 will do as well as the Kickstarter allows, as Ys Net is a relatively fragile independent development studio.  

Now can we stop talking about Shenmue in a Muv-Luv focused topic on the visual novel forum?  I'd rather not have this thread turn into an argument about that game, as a lot of people that don't actually follow the news on the subject just end up talking out their ass and spreading misinformation.

More News:

Kickstarter happening Late August to Early September; Sounding more confident about anime series and movies

There was also a tweet about other VN localizations, but nothing really new or specific.

Same.  I hope they can actually be as open as possible about it, though, since I don't really like having to interpret hidden meanings.  Man, someone should just make a Kickstarter clone that allows openly 18+ stuff.  I honestly don't even see why they care, aside from their image, which isn't that great in the first place aside from with content creators and such.  One can only handle so many potato salad-esque projects before viewing the entire site as a joke...

Same.  I hope they can actually be as open as possible about it, though, since I don't really like having to interpret hidden meanings.  Man, someone should just make a Kickstarter clone that allows openly 18+ stuff.  I honestly don't even see why they care, aside from their image, which isn't that great in the first place aside from with content creators and such.  One can only handle so many potato salad-esque projects before viewing the entire site as a joke...

Is that because of extra taxes because of the 18+ stuff?  I heard that something like that was one of the reasons Kickstarter doesn't allow openly 18+ stuff on their site.  And thanks for telling me about IndieGoGo, I'd heard about it but didn't actually know about their rules or anything.

Ah, that's it.  Dunno why I thought it was taxes.  I bet they're going to get lobbied pretty hard by eroge producers if they really hit the big time with funding localizations through Kickstarter.  Wouldn't be surprised if they changed their rules sometime in the future, because, honestly, it's a little silly, and occasionally hypocritical when they don't bring down the hammer on projects that have 18+ merchandise for rewards.  Aaaaanyway...probably should stop derailing :sachi:

Ah, that's it. Dunno why I thought it was taxes. I bet they're going to get lobbied pretty hard by eroge producers if they really hit the big time with funding localizations through Kickstarter. Wouldn't be surprised if they changed their rules sometime in the future, because, honestly, it's a little silly, and occasionally hypocritical when they don't bring down the hammer on projects that have 18+ merchandise for rewards. Aaaaanyway...probably should stop derailing :sachi:

This isn't derailing. This is still on topic and is a very interesting one too. Please continue.

"getting lobbied pretty hard by eroge producers" is something that will never happen to Kickstarter. Combine all of the VN campaigns together and it's a miniscule drop in the bucket of Kickstarter's overall profit. They are super small time, why would Kickstarter care?

Well, yeah.  I'm not talking about "big eroge" or anything, but if Kickstarters for translations of eroge start to get quite commonplace, I really doubt that the campaign starters will be content with just keep sweeping the fact that they'll have 18+ content in their product under the rug until the end of time.  Considering the rest of Kickstarter's rules, regardless of why it's implemented, it's rather strange, since they take a hands off approach to just about everything else.  All it's going to do is drive the people that are interested in 18+ content to other platforms, or just make the producers break the rules on the down low like they're currently doing, and that still doesn't seem like a safe approach for them, since if someone breathes a word about it on the Kickstarter page their project could get nuked if some butthurt or easily offended person reports them.

• 1 month later...

Prefundia page updated with stretch goals and backer rewards.

However not a single number in sight. Quite concerning when it's only 2 weeks away.

Improvements to the game being stretch goals instead of included in the base goal is just ridiculous considering they're offering a translation that's been out for four years now and not even really improving it that much as far as we know. Although this is just arbitrary marketing I guess.

Photon Flowers and Melodies don't really seem interesting either.

Some rewards look cool, a bunch of collector merchandising, but the fact that they're not even sure about including Integral Works is weird, that's the best artbook. The Memorial books aren't very interesting.

Considering how it's handled I wouldn't have invested a single cent in this kickstarter if it had been another game, to be honest. However it's Muv-Luv so I must get at least the collector's box...

Prefundia page updated with stretch goals and backer rewards.

However not a single number in sight. Quite concerning when it's only 2 weeks away.

Improvements to the game being stretch goals instead of included in the base goal is just ridiculous considering they're offering a translation that's been out for four years now and not even really improving it that much as far as we know. Although this is just arbitrary marketing I guess.

Photon Flowers and Melodies don't really seem interesting either.

Some rewards look cool, a bunch of collector merchandising, but the fact that they're not even sure about including Integral Works is weird, that's the best artbook. The Memorial books aren't very interesting.

Considering how it's handled I wouldn't have invested a single cent in this kickstarter if it had been another game, to be honest. However it's Muv-Luv so I must get at least the collector's box...

The way it looks right now, even for Muv-luv, I don't think I'll be investing anything.