Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

I'm skeptically hopeful and will likely be supporting it. I think it's great that this series is finally coming outside of Japan and I think is very likely that if the kickstarter succeeds we will likely get both versions and most people are probably right that they just want to make sure kickstarter doesn't boot them before they can try it. People will need to pay very close attention to the wording because most likely we will have to read between the lines until the kickstarter is done.

I'm surprised Age suddenly began to care so much and it's suspicious. But then, if they're going to release it like that, with both all-ages and 18+ versions available and it's going to become a success, there may be an influx of interest towards decent sci-fi vn's. More interest means more potential customers and that might bring us more high quality titles in the near future. It's quite promising.

I'm surprised Age suddenly began to care so much and it's suspicious. But then, if they're going to release it like that, with both all-ages and 18+ versions available and it's going to become a success, there may be an influx of interest towards decent sci-fi vn's. More interest means more potential customers and that might bring us more high quality titles in the near future. It's quite promising.

It seems like that japan starts slowly to embrace the west more. In addition it is also a growing trend on Steam and Consoles that they port more games.

The golden age of eroge, in terms of production, was around 2000-2005. It was around then that companies kept popping up. The last decade has been more about most of those companies closing down. 

Much like anime, really. People say there's always more anime being produced but we've yet to reach the levels that were reached in 2006. Among other factors it makes sense because that period is between the economical bubble burst of the 90s and the crisis that started around 2008.

From that point of view, makes perfect sense.

I was thinking that more Japanese men are becoming less interested in "3D" girls and more into the virtual "2D" relationships.  I'm using the term the otaku guy in Majikoi uses. ^_^

You must have lived in some sort of fantasy world because that was never really the case. The large majority of all anime have traditionally been based on manga. There are also anime based on a variety of games and LNs (LNs are now a huge source for adaptations these days), and even fewer TV-original stories. But probably the lowest number of them all are anime based on VNs. That really never happened even close to as often as you seem to think.

seems only to happen when coming to hentai vids, there you´ll find plenty nukige-related ones, though they can be considered mostly weird nonsense, often without a real story & stuff.

You must have lived in some sort of fantasy world because that was never really the case. The large majority of all anime are based on manga. There are also anime based on a variety of games and LNs, and even fewer TV-original stories. But probably the lowest number of them all are anime based on VNs. That really never happened even close to as often as you seem to think.

Ahh crap you`re right. I was thinking in terms of fansubs rather than what was actually coming out. Back when I started watching anime, stuff was coming out from every generation of anime without much regard for seasons and stuff, so I think there was just a period of time when fansubbing VN adaptations was trendy or something since a bunch of them were coming out and the club I was in was watching them all. I confused that with what was actually being released in Japan each season, which now that I look at it, is much different from what we were watching at the time.

It doesn`t help that most anime produced now are ads for LNs rather than VNs. Back in the day there were about as many VN-based anime each season as not. Now we`re seeing maybe one or two a season, if that.

That's a good thing. I would much rather not have more anime adaptations that ruin the story. 

I feel as if this conversation has veered away from the muv-luv localization...may I suggest creating a separate thread to discuss the other features.

Perhaps we shall receive some more information on the muv-luv localization attempt now that anime expo has begun. I understand why a lot of people do not care for the series but as a huge fan of science-fiction in general (game reminds me a ton of starship troopers and independence day if they were one entity) I am again excited for this...I hate the fact it is kickstarter though as kickstarter seems lazy...I suppose if this does well perhaps future games will not be via kickstarter but I'm worried that we will only get vns through kickstarter. It's a bit of a troubling issue because kickstarter has a shit ton of limitations and issues for visual novels. 

yeah the whole thing with them going kickstarter is abit...wouldnt have expected that from a company partly owned by 5pb, normally one would think them having enough finacial possibilities to stem it by themselves. dont think that age would milk the fuck out them either, when coming to the costs...

In business you always have only so much time, so much manpower, and so much money. You can't always do everything you want do even if a licensor is giving you free reign. Degica is making us make the hard choices, by putting up for vote whether Rumbling Hearts or the Muv-Luv side-stories should be put up as a kickstarter stretch goal: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UJoSye2rEC-UylsMXqxKIWxIFcZtwPqavo6QAVtuGLY/viewform

Interesting note, one of the options for how to improve the game is updated art, including no mosaics and more gore. So that should tell you something about how they want to handle 18+ content.

It is also the most wanted thing so hopefully they'll be able to see that. I'm probably the only person who voted for rumbling hearts...although dear god a muv-luv trilogy anime vs. rumbling hearts translation not an easy pick.

They also had adding english voices to the game...that would be interesting in a probably negative way but doesn't make it less interesting. The idea of the lore thing really sounds cool as does additional routes and the like...which makes me wonder exactly how huge this kickstarter is going to ask for...it's probably going to be a huge asking for amount.

To be clear, the voices thing wasn't for dubbing the entire game in english, but basically better voices for the non-Japanese characters, and also fully voiced Takeru. I voted for that and the better art. I also voted for Rumbling Hearts. 

I'm really worried about the option for added content and routes honestly. I can't see adding those working well at all in Alternative. And considering how age's latest VNs have had a pretty shitty reception I'm not sure I'd even want any new content if it was written by like Kouki or something.

This poll is really weird. Translating KimiNozo is an ambitious goal (although I'm not sure why would you guys want 4 mb of romance drama and PTSD forever) but that doesn't even compare with a Muv-Luv anime which probably doesn't even depend on them and would be pretty damn hard to pull off.

And I'm totally with Beato here, I wouldn't even trust Kouki with changing stuff in MLA to add routes or whatever.

I'd totally fap to a physical copy of Integral Works though, I don't even have the japanese version yet. CG/Sprites updates would be really cool if they do manage to keep the extremely good scripting and movement of the original (or even improve it if they can).

They're definitely handling their PR well but I'm a bit worried about those talks of irrealistic goals and about how much they're willing to alter the game depending on fan response.

It seems the muv-luv people are making a brief cameo at Sekai-Project's panel today...wonder if they are helping them with the kickstarter or the (eventual) publishing of the 18+ version...definitely interested to find out.