Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

I wasn't a huge fan of Muv Luv, but the idea of such an "unattainable" title suddenly being up for an official release is some pretty exciting news, so this is still great news for fans of the series and the industry as a whole, especially if there could be another new company coming out of it. 

If anything, maybe this will FINALLY get us a KimiNozo translation if it does well.

I wasn't a huge fan of Muv Luv, but the idea of such an "unattainable" title suddenly being up for an official release is some pretty exciting news, so this is still great news for fans of the series and the industry as a whole, especially if there could be another new company coming out of it. 

If anything, maybe this will FINALLY get us a KimiNozo translation if it does well.

Err, I'm not so sure it was really unattainable to begin with, seeing as how they were looking to get it localized with MG while Ixrec was working on it. Apparently from what people say they wanted KimiNozo done first, but Ixrec didn't want his translation of Muv Luv to sitting on hold for years for only the chance if it getting done. I guess they just gave up on having KimiNozo done and went ahead with this, since it would require a lot less, seeing as how they already have translation and whatnot done. Though it's a shame they won't bother doing a better re-translation since they're going to be getting a ton of money through Kickstarter, so they easily could if they wanted to. 

I don't know what the holdup was, but kimonozo might not have had anything to do with it, because apparently they were in talks for close to a year and nothing happened. The story I heard was that negotiations were just taking longer than Ixrec had patience for and he released his translation as a patch, torpedoing the whole thing.

I don't know what the holdup was, but kimonozo might not have had anything to do with it, because apparently they were in talks for close to a year and nothing happened. The story I heard was that negotiations were just taking longer than Ixrec had patience for and he released his translation as a patch, torpedoing the whole thing.

There were rights issues with the MuvLuv franchise.  It was a no-go at the time. (Source)

Regrettably, the best article on this issue is no longer hosted on encubed (and I'm pretty sure it was there a year ago).  Looks like the site lost all articles dated later than January 2011, probably due to a server issue.

There were rights issues with the MuvLuv franchise.  It was a no-go at the time. (Source)

Interestingly, the best article on this issue is no longer hosted on encubed (and I'm pretty sure it was there a year ago).  I wonder if encubed was compelled to take down the article by one or more parties involved with the current project.  The Wayback Machine doesn't index encubed either, so the article appears to be gone without a trace.

About a month after that, we were told that ML/MLA could not be licensed after all, and age had instead offered MG the option of licensing Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

They could have licensed Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and they didnt took the offer? Thats ... wow  :cry:

Many people do because we don't already have a patch for that. But eh... I've never really jonesed as much for that one as many others seem to do.

if they censor it or put an all age's ver I'm not going to back it (same thing with grisaia), sorry but muv luv censored is a no no for me.

They are already talking about a Steam version and haven't mentioned anything else. Although really, the h-scenes are 99% inconsequential to the plot, and regarding that last bit, we'd be better off without it.  :makina:

edit: I will also say that Degica is a relatively respected company who does serious business with a lot of non-gaming-related partners. If they released uncensored eroge in any capacity, that would probably deliver a hit to their reputation that they definitely don't want. I can't see them releasing an 18+ version at all.

They could have licensed Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and they didnt took the offer? Thats ... wow  :cry:

It was either take them up on the offer and put their completed Muv-Luv translation on-hold indefinitely or release Muv-Luv and give up on the deal. Ixrec most likely chose the second because he wasn't very happy about the idea of having his completed Muv-Luv translation be put on-hold with the possibility of never even being released. That and from the way he talked, it seemed some of the stuff that happened got him fairly frustrated with them, as he gave up on going after official localizations of his projects after that. 

Many people do because we don't already have a patch for that. But eh... I've never really jonesed as much for that one as many others seem to do.

They are already talking about a Steam version and haven't mentioned anything else. Although really, the h-scenes are 99% inconsequential to the plot, and regarding that last bit, we'd be better off without it.  :makina:

edit: I will also say that Degica is a relatively respected company who does serious business with a lot of non-gaming-related partners. If they released uncensored eroge in any capacity, that would probably deliver a hit to their reputation that they definitely don't want. I can't see them releasing an 18+ version at all.

do you really think that they are not going to censor all the violence?

the sex scenes are really meh but they do add something to the plot, for example when sumika saw all your memories and she saw you fucking with everysingle girl and then goes nuts, that's a big part of the plot...are they going to show you kissing the girls or holding hands instead?

The part when sumika tells you about how she was raped is really important too, a bit too much yes but is something really important to the plot itself because it shows you that even after seeing something like that takeru doesnt care and still wants to be with her, it shows you how he is not the same shitty and egocentric takeru of the past.

If there is something that needs to be censored in muv luv is that stupid and super happy ending :P

The violence will almost certainly stay, there is no reason for them to remove that. This is probably not the place to talk about sensitive spoilers about MLA's story, don't take my jokey off-hand remark about the h-scenes too seriously.

The violence will almost certainly stay, there is no reason for them to remove that. This is probably not the place to talk about sensitive spoilers about MLA's story, don't take my jokey off-hand remark about the h-scenes too seriously.

from vndb of all ages version

Scenes with explicit content were rewritten their CG's replaced some gory CG's are censored.

so yeah, is going to be that version translated then.

Why would you work with a +18 version and then censor it if you already have an all ages one to work with, the point is to release an all ages version in the first place, right?

The point is to make it sellable on Steam. It takes no extra effort to use uncensored CGs over the censored ones where it doesn't matter.

Why would you work with a +18 version and then censor it if you already have an all ages one to work with, the point is to release an all ages version in the first place, right?

I would imagine the point was to target the largest audience possible, which would mean removing the sex scenes. Removing the violence does nothing from a practicality perspective and may even prove counter-productive, whereas keeping sex scenes in would eliminate a large section of the potential audience in favour of a niche group who have probably pirated the game anyway.

Because of restrictions imposed by the platform holder and CERO? Despite the censored CGs, it still got a CERO D. It probably would have received a Z if they used the uncensored CGs and generally they want to avoid that kind of thing.

Age rating doesn't matter on Steam, and they might not bother rating it at all.

I don't know, if you think about it logically you are right but I know how publishers think...you only need to look at games like if my heart had wings, grisaia, eden* etc etc and I'm not talking about censoring lolis or ero (which im against but I can understand by some degree.)

I hope I'm wrong about this.