What makes Grisaia no Kajitsu so great?

starlessn1ght

Maybe this isn´t the right place to say this but i´m new at this so i hope you´ll forgive me. 

The truth is I´m a great fan of this series both anime and visual novel but so far i just managed to play the first one.

Just wanted to know if Grisaia no Meikyuu Visual novel is out so far and if not when it will be.

Thank you for your help

Meiykuu is currently being translated by Sekai Project, like VirginSmasher said. Here is the most recent update they have made on ther progress:

"Same as last month, there's been some schedule slips but we're still on track, once it's closer to being done we'll let you know. There's still technical/editing/qa work required after that so we do not have a firm release date just yet."

Now the game is significantly shorter than Kajitsu, so it probably wont be as long to translate, not to mention that a good portion of the extra content in meiykuu is H-Scenes, that SP probably wont release, so thats less translating for them. (I believe that Kajitsu took about 2 years.) But we wont know anything for sure until they come with a more firm statement about its progress.

I really hope they release the uncensored version anyways. I don't want to have to look at CGs just to see them. Even if they'll probably bog down the story for me, I've heard the major route in there is pretty good. I hope it doesn't turn out like how Majikoi S did for me.

Yeah it is likely that they will release the uncensored version through denpasoft like they did with Kajitsu a little after the main game's release. (I personally hope so too, as the H-Scenes are quite enjoyable in Meiykuu :illya:)

As for the story, the main route is really good, yes. Also, the H-scenes have very little to do with the plot so its essentially uncut when it comes to story. Most of the H-Scenes are in either the heroines after routes or in non cannon H-scenes added as a bonus in the game. One thing that is slightly annoying with Meiykuu is that the ending is a cliffhanger, and that cliffhanger will be resolved in Rakuen, so when the game comes out, it becomes a patience test to wait for Rakuen.

Overall I think fans of the first game will be very happy with Meiykuu though, even if the H-Scenes are cut.

Mmmmm I love Amane in all that leather. The S&M scenes were hot.

Also Makina's mom gets some rough sex action and that bitch deserves it.

So I've finished the VN. Great art. Excellent dialogue. The protagonist is pretty decent, for the most part. Stories tend to start off well, but they mostly peter out by the endings. Most of the endings disappointed me. The exceptions being Sachi's good ending, and, for some reason, Makina's.

7/10 overall. Solid effort.

My thoughts:

• It doesn't focus on panty shots, sexual jokes, and embarrassing sex scenes
  • Yuuji acts like a tough guy who doesn't care about the harem situation he is thrust into. He makes witty sexual jokes (with the principal) and treats the girls like they are morons (but in a good way)
  • The girls have a lot of interesting scenes and occasionally act human. The scene where they talk about their sexual desires for Yuuji is such a scene. I felt like a female writer made this scene happen, which is such a rarity in a male focused genre
  • The VN deals with darker themes that always attract readers if done correctly

Just my thoughts.

I agree, personally i really like Grisaia and am looking forward to Mekyuu and Rakuen which sekai project is working on : D

Damn, I never thought of that before.

Although, the way I see it its just Kazuki being so extremly smart to the point where she doesn't neccesarily predict everyones future directly, but instead consideres every option based on what she knows of the individuals, and concludes that it is likely they will act like that. Pretty standard psychology. She says it clearly, "it might not go down like that". Its just her prediction based of human nature in extreme situations, and what she knows of the people involved. That is also the reason why she concludes that Amane most likely wont do the same, but she still isn't sure. This is probably why she gives it a lot of time before truly concluding it will truly end like that.

The part about Yuuji, is it really that strange that he wants to help chracters get back into whats considered "normality"? The girls are in a very fragile state, mentaly, not to mention that they are essentially blocked off from the "normal" outside world. Helping them back into that normality is a good thing, because the way things were going, they would not be very well off on their own when the graduate. This does not mean that its wrong to be different, but it mearly states that helping them get more into "normal" lives will make it easier for them to choose their own future when they get to that point.

You have a good point, I never even thought of this before, but I personally don't think its that much of a problem. It's primarily just Kazuki analyzing people, and Yuuji attempting to mimick the same behavoir that he clearly learned from his sister. The blunt thruth of it is: humans are extremly easy to predict, especially if you have prior knowlegde about said person.

None of this really conflicts with my observations on the game, it's just down to a matter of whether or not you think there's subtext. 

Like, the fact that Kazuki is so extremely smart that she can figure out the actions people will take weeks in advance, almost like she's clairvoyant, has deeper meaning than just her being smart. It means that people CAN be predicted to that extent by someone who is adequately smart. I don't really think this is true in reality, but it's taken to the extreme in the VN to illustrate a point. 

Honestly, i think Kazuki became a crappy character as the story progressed. I didn't mind the photogenic memory and all that, but when she suddenly was revealed to be probably twice as smart as Einstein, renowned painter and as mentioned earlier seemingly a clairvoyant then this character just didn't work for me anymore. Same as the crappy protagonists in certain moeges that are 15-18 years old and have mastered martial arts, strength to lift a cow on each shoulder, is the smartest academically, vast knowledge about everything from life experience or some nonsense that doesn't fit the characters age.

It's quite simple, too much is too much. 

Edited by Stormwolf

She was always like that. For example, in Angelic Howl there was something about her 'reading' books she'd memorized in her mind. Sorry, that's just not possible. I like her, but that's mostly just personality. As a character, she basically just screams out Mary Sue. 

Honestly, i think Kazuki became a crappy character as the story progressed. I didn't mind the photogenic memory and all that, but when she suddenly was revealed to be probably twice as smart as Einstein, renowned painter and as mentioned earlier seemingly a clairvoyant then this character just didn't work for me anymore. Same as the crappy protagonists in certain moeges that are 15-18 years old and have mastered martial arts, strength to lift a cow on each shoulder, is the smartest academically, vast knowledge about everything from life experience or some nonsense that doesn't fit the characters age.

Yeah Im not a fan of omnipotent/godlike characters. I prefer someone with potential/character growth... 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Well, i think what she has is a bit too far out there, and that they should have watered her down just a notch so that she could be a more believable character.

I think it was already discussed that this visual novel does not try to make everything believable. Also, in the case that her character was watered down, it would take away from her image of perfection. Kazuki is supposed to be an unbelievable, genius character that can consider all the possibilities of the future. 

But to be honest, in a situation like Angelic Howl, there are only 3 generalized outcomes. It does not take a genius to predict what will happen.

1. Rescue comes to save them.

2. They have a leader that can organize themselves and get them out of there.

3. They fall into despair and becomes like Lord of the Flies or even worse.

She just considered all the possibilites to a greater detail and prepared for them. That said, if she was an omnipotent character that could do anything, then the story would have just concluded with her saving everyone with her knowledge. The visual novel also shows that even though she is exceptionally smart, she is still human, in that she is plays favorites, does not have extensive real world experiences and also feels loneliness.

I quite liked Kazuki as a character, but her "memory" tended to get pretty extreme at points, I have to admit. She's still one of my favorite characters and I can't wait to see her again in Meikyuu,

Well just to poke a few sticks in the wheels here, I would just like to point out that the things that are seemingly "impossible" with Kazuki is actually not impsosible at all. I already talked about her "psychic" ability earlier. (Its basic psychology to predict a human beings' actions.) And for her memory, that as well is actually completely possible. In fact, I can personally do something quite similar myself. Its a mental exercise that just requires practice. Of course, memorizing entire books is not exactly easy, but if you have a photgraphic memory or simply "trained" your memory for a long time its not impossible.

Those factors taken into account mixed with the fact that we know she has an incredibly high IQ, (once again, not impossible), its not hard to believe that she would act like she did in the VN.

Not saying that I wouldn't have minded a little bit of a died down version of her myself, but for the people stating its not enjoyable because its simply not possible, thats not actually true.

(Also, everyone knows that turkey's make for great plane engine-stoppers!)

Well just to poke a few sticks in the wheels here, I would just like to point out that the things that are seemingly "impossible" with Kazuki is actually not impsosible at all. I already talked about her "psychic" ability earlier. (Its basic psychology to predict a human beings' actions.) And for her memory, that as well is actually completely possible. In fact, I can personally do something quite similar myself. Its a mental exercise that just requires practice. Of course, memorizing entire books is not exactly easy, but if you have a photgraphic memory or simply "trained" your memory for a long time its not impossible.

Those factors taken into account mixed with the fact that we know she has an incredibly high IQ, (once again, not impossible), its not hard to believe that she would act like she did in the VN.

Not saying that I wouldn't have minded a little bit of a died down version of her myself, but for the people stating its not enjoyable because its simply not possible, thats not actually true.

I disagree. Kazuki's clairvoyance extends heavily into "impossible" territory.

She didn't just see how things would generally turn out, she predicted every last detail. My complaint wasn't one about realism, but the message it sends. If Kazuki was less perfect, or if she was able to save everyone, then the VN couldn't deliver its message on determinism.

I disagree. Her clairvoyance extends heavily into "impossible" territory. She didn't just see how things would generally turn out, she predicted every last detail. My complaint wasn't one about realism, but the message it sends. If Kazuki was less perfect, then the VN couldn't deliver its message on determinism.

I merely wanted to state that everything she does can at least be explained as possible in the real world. It was not really intended directly against what you said earlier. I actually do agree to a lot of those points. But I felt that some people were trying to imply that the VN isn't as enjoyable because of the impossibility of her actions, which I feel isn't really justifiable. 

Like I said, I wouldn't have minded a less "extreme" version of Kazuki myself.

The VN is indeed built quite strongly around the acts that Kazuki makes during angelic howl and what Yuuji does regarding the girls in Mihama and the "requirement" to return to normality. These factors do send a little bit of an iffy message overall, though for me it doesn't lower the quality of the VN in any big way. Opinions will always differ after all. 

Kazuki does have her flaws - for instance she's not overly great in dealing with or expressing emotions, so sometimes she comes off as rather awkward when dealing with something like that. And her strict adherence to society's idea of hierarchy could potentially be argued as to why the tragedy ended as it did.

Yumiko's route is generally considered an average one, the most popular routes would be Amane and Makina's route. Most of the routes were written by different authors, only Amane and Makina's were written by the main writer. "Rewrite" is the same way, with only Kotori, Akane, and the Moon/Terra routes being written by the main writer. I'm sure its no coincidence that these routes tend to be better.

Anyways, as to what I like about this visual novel:

1) Amane's route, especially the last bits and the endings. Even Kazuki's Mary Stu-ness was tolerable if it weren't for how many fanboys she has due to it.

2) The Common route. This is the main charm of this vn for me. There's no stupid harem aspect where all the girls want a piece of him for no freaking reason, its just about the whacky personalities and interactions between the characters, of which I found amusing. The girls could had been all guys and it wouldn't really change much about how the route felt to me. This was also why I liked Majikoi, until it turned into a harem waifu fest (ESPECIALLY Majikoi S) which caused me to stay far far away from it.