What makes Grisaia no Kajitsu so great?

starlessn1ght

What I find pretty amusing about your experience is that Michiru's route seems to be pretty widely considered to be one of the worst routes in the entire VN, aside from Yumiko's, due to the bullshit pseudoscience involved, the erratic behavior of a few of the characters compared to the other routes, and the overall ridiculousness that's ever-present after the halfway point and the "big reveal".  The story of Michiru's route was actually retconned in Meikyuu, so I think that says something about the quality of the route itself, or at least the general Japanese fan reaction to it.  Amane and Sachi's routes are generally thought of as the best, with some people swapping out Sachi's for Makina's.  Would you mind explaining why you didn't like either of their routes?

i know i am in the minority regarding liking Michiru's route, i just really liked Michiru's personality, i know many people consider her to be annoying/boring but i admired the fact that she tried so hard to appear 'normal' (by using her tsundere acts etc), i also liked her back story a lot. like i said her route could have been better because:

Hidden Content

So yeah, Michiru was easily my favorite character. Regarding Amane and Sachi's route, i liked Amane's personality in the common route but once her route started i was a bit disappointed, first of all i did not like the fact that most of the route was a flash back of her past, i thought it was boring and they should have done it like Michiru's route where a little bit about her past is revealed then the vn goes back tp present and so on, it felt like we didn't see Amane and Yuuji interact much, also regarding the angelic howl, oh boy..too much bs was happening and in my opinion i thought it was a bit stupid.

Hidden Content

well for Sachi's route

Hidden Content

I loved Michiru's route the most cause of the character development. I didn't like her in the common route and her route managed to make me like her. That's how good it was.

Nothing's great about it, it's just only of like 2 VNs translated into English in the past 5 years. So everyone plays it, and in comparison to these other 10 year old VNs they have to play, it seems great. Look at places like reddit's visualnovels, it's just the same 5 VNs over and over and over and over and over. With localisers only providing nukige, of course they're crying out for something non-shit.

Edited by Kelebek1

Nothing's great about it, it's just only of like 2 VNs translated into English in the past 5 years. So everyone plays it, and in comparison to these other 10 year old VNs they have to play, it seems great. Look at places like reddit's visualnovels, it's just the same 5 VNs over and over and over and over and over. With localisers only providing nukige, of course they're crying out for something non-shit.

I may be blinded by the fact that it was my first VN, but I love it anyways.

Yumiko and Michiru's route were okay, I don't think they were as bad as most people make them out to be, but Yumiko's was certainly not as..exciting as the rest? And while Michiru's had some pretty bullshit moments logic-wise, I still think it was decent. Makina's and Sachi's routes were great imo, and Angelic Howl is borderline god tier. It's not just popular because it's one of the few TL'd VN's in the past few years, that's just silly :sachi: 

Grisaia is mediocre. It has an incredible common route carried by the on point humor, and how well the characters interact, but it's character routes are horrible because it suddenly takes away its strengths to attempt to have a heavy story. It eliminates the fun comedy, and great character interaction, for inconsistent stories that end up changing a characters personality all together (biggest offender is Michiru's route in regards to Yuiji suddenly becoming a dense, cliche male VN protag instead of the smart, thoughtful, witty, character of the common) 

Yumiko and Michiru's route were okay, I don't think they were as bad as most people make them out to be, but Yumiko's was certainly not as..exciting as the rest? And while Michiru's had some pretty bullshit moments logic-wise, I still think it was decent. Makina's and Sachi's routes were great imo, and Angelic Howl is borderline god tier. It's not just popular because it's one of the few TL'd VN's in the past few years, that's just silly :sachi: 

I still think Yumiko is the best girl. I have a thing for Kuuderes.

unpopular opinion: the common route was too long and dragged out to the point of not being funny anymore.

I loved the common route, but I agree, it's too long and drags sometimes. Some scenes were still funny though.

unpopular opinion: the common route was too long and dragged out to the point of not being funny anymore.

I loved the common route, but I agree, it's too long and drags sometimes. Some scenes were still funny though.

I fully agree. Also that heartwarming ending! weirdly enough the bad ending was a good ending as well, while all the other bad endings were pretty fucked up.

Edited by Stormwolf

but that's true of many VN's. (Look'n at you Sharin no Kuni) Grisaia's common route was better than Yumiko's and Michiru's by a long shot also.

Let's bury my girlfriend underground for three days and see if she lives. There's no way that can end badly for anyone!!

I fully agree. Also that heartwarming ending! weirdly enough the bad ending was a good ending as well, while all the other bad endings were pretty fucked up.

I never got the bad endings for the routes just because I didn't feel the need to get them. Maybe when I eventually play it again, I'll get the bad endings.

Common in Grisaia was nowhere near Majikoi for me... Damn I'll state it right here Maji's common route is the best I've ever read( I haven't read too many VNs tho) I was sad when Majikoi's common finished...

Majikoi's common route was awesome. I think it's a tie between Majikoi and Grisaia fr the best common route, for me anyways.

I never got the bad endings for the routes just because I didn't feel the need to get them. Maybe when I eventually play it again, I'll get the bad endings.

Whoa! You should play the bad endings. No need to re-play it, just go back to the last choice and choose the other option. The bad endings are rather short, and worth it. Amane´s route actually has plot that you dont get to see unless you play the bad ending. Yumiko´s has a … rather special case as well for the "bad" ending. 

Sachi, Michiru and Makina will just leave you emotionally damaged though. No real need to play those unless you want to be emotionally damaged I guess. 

Whoa! You should play the bad endings. No need to re-play it, just go back to the last choice and choose the other option. The bad endings are rather short, and worth it. Amane´s route actually has plot that you dont get to see unless you play the bad ending. Yumiko´s has a … rather special case as well for the "bad" ending. 

Sachi, Michiru and Makina will just leave you emotionally damaged though. No real need to play those unless you want to be emotionally damaged I guess. 

I like emotionally damaging myself so I'll probably go play those endings when I have time today.

I agree that he should go back and read the bad endings, but I have to disagree with you about them all being good.  Sachi's actually made me laugh with how bad and nonsensical it was (this is coming from a Sachifag), and Michiru's felt really abrupt and didn't make much sense to me, even though it was, admittedly, quite sad.  Yumiko's was meh, for the very reason it can be called "special".  Makina's and Amane's bad ends, though, were great and well worth the couple minutes it took to read through them.  Makina's was delightfully dark with a minor twist that left my jaw dropped, and Amane's made me tear up a bit.  That CG set and the lines of that scene are still pretty well ingrained in my memory.

I agree that he should go back and read the bad endings, but I have to disagree with you about them all being good.  Sachi's actually made me laugh with how bad and nonsensical it was (this is coming from a Sachifag), and Michiru's felt really abrupt and didn't make much sense to me, even though it was, admittedly, quite sad.  Yumiko's was meh, for the very reason it can be called "special".  Makina's and Amane's bad ends, though, were great and well worth the couple minutes it took to read through them.  Makina's was delightfully dark with a minor twist that left my jaw dropped, and Amane's made me tear up a bit.  That CG set and the lines of that scene are still pretty well ingrained in my memory.

oh god fuck no, not that ending, it was the most horrible ending I have ever seen, talk about lazy fucking writing. god.

So'k, I was just a little confused there.  I thought you were talking about her's, it's the worst bad end in the entire VN, IMO.  You're right, it was very lazily written, and it also happened way too fast for me to actually feel anything, hence my utter amusement at how poorly executed it was.  It could actually pass as a soap opera twist, and that's definitely not good.

Yeah I didnt say they are all good. I personally think Yumiko's and Amane is the good ones, then the other 3, like I said, left me emotionally damaged. Cant say I enjoy that.

The sachi one was seriously just ... What the actual fu..?!

The Michiru one actually felt a litte more like it could have happened though, which in turn made it feel more "real". Cant say it was good, but it felt a lot more "scary" knowing that this actually could have happened knowing how michiru was at that point in the story.

Edited by Dergonu

I couldn't help laughing at Sachi's bad ending. It was pretty horrible, and not horrible in a sad way, just a horribly stupid. 

Michuru was pretty screwed up and sad no matter how you look at it. 

Makina was pretty damn stupid as well, while also pretty screwed up.

And Yukino had a pretty good bad ending actually. 

And as my previously disliked opinion, Amane's bad ending is informative and sad at the same time. Actually i think the good ending was relatively bad as well. Includes some rambling so read at your own peril!

While the story was pretty damn awesome and engaging, the romance was shoddy at best. She remained depressed the whole time since the accident until she was thanked for living by her granddaughter after Yuuji had died, and that just makes it sound like she and Yuuji had a pretty coldish marriage where important things was left unsaid between them. The only good thing i really can see for the ending is that they remained by each others side until the end, and i guess after (but then Amane said she'd be a big sister to Yuuji even in the next life so....). I guess that's really my biggest gripe with the romance in the route. There is so much through this route and the epilogue that can contradict her love for a sense of deep responibility.

It's a shame though that they included the life story in this title though instead of the afterstory in the sequel, kind of makes you think that the sequel's afterstory for Amane just isn't that important anymore since you know the jist of what happens.

I'm working into Michuru's route currently. Am I getting my hopes up? Because, logically, thus far it sort of makes sense (but it's still early) and I kind of feel it's a bit more realistic than the route I first read, which was Amane's, which I found thoroughly unbelievable. At the time of reading it feels gripping at times, but then I go back and think logically and the whole route is a complete farce, considering the circumstances and the fact the story takes place in 2005, not 1975. It has all the same problems I had with The Blair Witch Project, which is why I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a great movie.

I'm working into Michuru's route currently. Am I getting my hopes up? Because, logically, thus far it sort of makes sense (but it's still early) and I kind of feel it's a bit more realistic than the route I first read, which was Amane's, which I found thoroughly unbelievable. At the time of reading it feels gripping at times, but then I go back and think logically and the whole route is a complete farce, considering the circumstances and the fact the story takes place in 2005, not 1975. It has all the same problems I had with The Blair Witch Project, which is why I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a great movie.

I quite liked Amane's route despite everything you said. Hell, I'm probably blind to all the problems with this game except for the length of the common route (Way too fucking long). It's a great read and it's one of my favorite games.