What makes Grisaia no Kajitsu so great?

starlessn1ght

I'm working into Michuru's route currently. Am I getting my hopes up? Because, logically, thus far it sort of makes sense (but it's still early) and I kind of feel it's a bit more realistic than the route I first read, which was Amane's, which I found thoroughly unbelievable. At the time of reading it feels gripping at times, but then I go back and think logically and the whole route is a complete farce, considering the circumstances and the fact the story takes place in 2005, not 1975. It has all the same problems I had with The Blair Witch Project, which is why I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a great movie.

I quite liked Amane's route despite everything you said. Hell, I'm probably blind to all the problems with this game except for the length of the common route (Way too fucking long). It's a great read and it's one of my favorite games.

The saving grace of the route was Amane and Kazuki's interaction during the ordeal. The problem being the ordeal was just too unbelievable for a modern-day story. I get I need to suspend some disbelief for fictional purposes, but I'm already doing that with the idea of the teenaged protagonist being a government killer. Adding a two-week lost campers scenario where the parents and government are just completely stupid at a proper search-and-rescue in the year 2005... sorry, I can't buy into that as well.

I'm working into Michuru's route currently. Am I getting my hopes up? Because, logically, thus far it sort of makes sense (but it's still early) and I kind of feel it's a bit more realistic than the route I first read, which was Amane's, which I found thoroughly unbelievable. At the time of reading it feels gripping at times, but then I go back and think logically and the whole route is a complete farce, considering the circumstances and the fact the story takes place in 2005, not 1975. It has all the same problems I had with The Blair Witch Project, which is why I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a great movie.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I can already accept the teenager being an assassin because teenagers are the only people who can apparently do that in VNs and anime, but it sucks that you couldn't get into it like I did.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I can already accept the teenager being an assassin because teenagers are the only people who can apparently do that in VNs and anime, but it sucks that you couldn't get into it like I did.

Like I said, I can suspend disbelief for certain things, and usually the protagonist has some sort of extra thing about him to make him stand out, so I'm fine with Yuugi being what he is. But if we're taking that into account, as well as time factors and the world itself, it just feels like Amane's route is too hard to buy into totally.

But take heart, I'm only 1/5th through with it. There's still 4 other chances for me to love it.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Like I said, I can suspend disbelief for certain things, and usually the protagonist has some sort of extra thing about him to make him stand out, so I'm fine with Yuugi being what he is. But if we're taking that into account, as well as time factors and the world itself, it just feels like Amane's route is too hard to buy into totally.

But take heart, I'm only 1/5th through with it. There's still 4 other chances for me to love it.

Sachi and Michiru's routes are great. I liked all the routes in Grisaia but those were my favorite.

I think Grisaia is rated so highly because it is a visual novel that does a lot of things right.

1. The main characters are very interesting. 

Each main character has their own particular traits that goes beyond the surface because the characters have a sense of depth that you get to explore as you play the routes. The most eye-catching character would have to be the protagonist because he is a tough and reliable individual that seems to demand your attention. He is cynical and crass at times but still has a gentle and compassionate side to him. 

2. The plot features some darker themes that contrast heavily to the comedic slice of life common route.

As you progress further into the routes, it deals with the dark parts of human nature and raises questions about extreme situations. It appeals to our fascination towards the wrong and vicariously guides us through extreme situations; in which we sympathize with the main characters. This brings out a greater sense of connection with the main characters that we got to know so well during the long common route.

3. Colorful and crisp artwork.

I think that the artwork is actually one of key factors why this is so well received. Whether consciously or unconsciously, the artwork does play a part in how you interpret a game because we are just naturally attracted to beautiful things and tend to view them more favorably. Even though it may not be the deciding factor, it really does make the visual novel a complete package. 

What I find pretty amusing about your experience is that Michiru's route seems to be pretty widely considered to be one of the worst routes in the entire VN, aside from Yumiko's, due to the bullshit pseudoscience involved, the erratic behavior of a few of the characters compared to the other routes, and the overall ridiculousness that's ever-present after the halfway point and the "big reveal".  The story of Michiru's route was actually retconned in Meikyuu, so I think that says something about the quality of the route itself, or at least the general Japanese fan reaction to it.  Amane and Sachi's routes are generally thought of as the best, with some people swapping out Sachi's for Makina's.  Would you mind explaining why you didn't like either of their routes?

i know i am in the minority regarding liking Michiru's route, i just really liked Michiru's personality, i know many people consider her to be annoying/boring but i admired the fact that she tried so hard to appear 'normal' (by using her tsundere acts etc), i also liked her back story a lot. like i said her route could have been better because:

Hidden Content

So yeah, Michiru was easily my favorite character. Regarding Amane and Sachi's route, i liked Amane's personality in the common route but once her route started i was a bit disappointed, first of all i did not like the fact that most of the route was a flash back of her past, i thought it was boring and they should have done it like Michiru's route where a little bit about her past is revealed then the vn goes back tp present and so on, it felt like we didn't see Amane and Yuuji interact much, also regarding the angelic howl, oh boy..too much bs was happening and in my opinion i thought it was a bit stupid.

Hidden Content

well for Sachi's route

Hidden Content

Wait? What?

So you are okay with Yuuji burying Michiru alive at the risk that she never comes out, thus killing her, but blowing out a school is too much? Between bargaining with people's lives and destroying a mere building, I think blowing the school is the best and safer choice.

Here's a few quotes that makes Grisaia so great for me... cause I was laughing my ass off while reading them.

When students shut themselves up in their rooms, homework and masturbation are the only things that come to mind. - Yuuji
Suo Amane's a bitch in heat. Rolling around in a man's bedsheet. Good for you. Good for me. Hmm good. - Yuuji & Makina
Quit your bitching, Fishface. I'll stuck that phone so far up your ass you'll feel the ringtone in your colon. - Yuuji
I've seen grannies with shriveled ovaries put their holes to better use in the behalf of the nation! - Yuuji
What's this, maggots?! I've seen senile ol' men fuck harder than you move! Worthless buncha putrid-pussies! - Makina
Sa-Sachi! Oxygen! Bring me oxyge... - Michiru
(Is there more about the story of your pillow-raping friend?) Wasn't rape. He had the pillow's consent. - Yuuji
Who are you calling dried out anyway?! Am I some leftover rice stuck to your shirt? How dare you imply that I'm rice? Who are you calling the rice Goddess?! - Michiru
A conversation between men is a very efficient thing. Step one: Both sides communicate their business. No step two. - Yuuji
Well, my mouth might be gettin' worse but my other holes... are gettin' in better shapes, if ya know what I mean. - Makina
I'm an exemplary modern kid ya know. I believe everythin' I see on th' teevee! - Makina
You are a clown, Michiru. Makina will now amuse herself at your expense. All right, Makina, look at this girl and chortle heartily. - Yuuji
"That's right, yelp for me. Enjoying this aren't you? Squeal for your classmate like the dirty sow you are." "Haa... haa... that ice-cold tone... these firm smacks on the bum... yer gonna turn me into a naughty girl." - Sachi & Makina
Hey, Yuuji! Did you really volunteer to become our communal sex slave?! - Amane
My heart is throbbing with excitement at the prospect of witnessing you engage a shark in bloody mortal combat. - Sachi
I'm afraid my anxiety as the owner of a much-craved piece of man-meat hasn't diminished in the slightest. - Sachi
Yes... your manly words left my heart at peace... and my loins moistened. - Sachi
Never mind that! I'm pumped! There's a fire in my belly and a vacuum cleaner in my mouth!! - Amane
Truly powerful words. I could almost feel my heart trembling in my chest and my genitals moistening in my groin. I very nearly took out my cell phone and tweeted "The rain in Spain falls mainly on my lady jane #wet." - Sachi
The time has come... The moment to unleash your "dere!" - Sachi
Gotta stick some stuff in Chizuru's sewage pipe every once in a while or it'll get all blocked up, right? - Makina

Wait? What?

Hidden Content

I do agree that was too much too, and it could have been done better.

I wouldn't say that what Yuuji did was the right thing with Michiru (if we wanna speak realistically) but he wanted her to decide whether she wanted to live or die for sure. yes it was extreme no doubt. In Sachi's case, he did not only involve Sachi, but he invloved the whole school with her, i think this is even more extreme, he blew up the whole school...and what made the situation more bizarre is how everyone was just fine with it, come on...at least make it a little bit more conniving, for me it made me feel like the vn just thinks i am a stupid reader who will accept anything. So i guess between Sachi and Michiru, Yuuji helped Michiru in a way that didn't harm anyone else, but in Sachi's case he involved basically everyone else in that vn.

In the end everyone interprets everything in their own way so i understand where you are coming from. 

Edited by MikeY91

Here's a few quotes that makes Grisaia so great for me... cause I was laughing my ass off while reading them.

When students shut themselves up in their rooms, homework and masturbation are the only things that come to mind. - Yuuji
Suo Amane's a bitch in heat. Rolling around in a man's bedsheet. Good for you. Good for me. Hmm good. - Yuuji & Makina
Quit your bitching, Fishface. I'll stuck that phone so far up your ass you'll feel the ringtone in your colon. - Yuuji
I've seen grannies with shriveled ovaries put their holes to better use in the behalf of the nation! - Yuuji
What's this, maggots?! I've seen senile ol' men fuck harder than you move! Worthless buncha putrid-pussies! - Makina
Sa-Sachi! Oxygen! Bring me oxyge... - Michiru
(Is there more about the story of your pillow-raping friend?) Wasn't rape. He had the pillow's consent. - Yuuji
Who are you calling dried out anyway?! Am I some leftover rice stuck to your shirt? How dare you imply that I'm rice? Who are you calling the rice Goddess?! - Michiru
A conversation between men is a very efficient thing. Step one: Both sides communicate their business. No step two. - Yuuji
Well, my mouth might be gettin' worse but my other holes... are gettin' in better shapes, if ya know what I mean. - Makina
I'm an exemplary modern kid ya know. I believe everythin' I see on th' teevee! - Makina
You are a clown, Michiru. Makina will now amuse herself at your expense. All right, Makina, look at this girl and chortle heartily. - Yuuji
"That's right, yelp for me. Enjoying this aren't you? Squeal for your classmate like the dirty sow you are." "Haa... haa... that ice-cold tone... these firm smacks on the bum... yer gonna turn me into a naughty girl." - Sachi & Makina
Hey, Yuuji! Did you really volunteer to become our communal sex slave?! - Amane
My heart is throbbing with excitement at the prospect of witnessing you engage a shark in bloody mortal combat. - Sachi
I'm afraid my anxiety as the owner of a much-craved piece of man-meat hasn't diminished in the slightest. - Sachi
Yes... your manly words left my heart at peace... and my loins moistened. - Sachi
Never mind that! I'm pumped! There's a fire in my belly and a vacuum cleaner in my mouth!! - Amane
Truly powerful words. I could almost feel my heart trembling in my chest and my genitals moistening in my groin. I very nearly took out my cell phone and tweeted "The rain in Spain falls mainly on my lady jane #wet." - Sachi
The time has come... The moment to unleash your "dere!" - Sachi
Gotta stick some stuff in Chizuru's sewage pipe every once in a while or it'll get all blocked up, right? - Makina

Haha. Yeah, thats one of the things I love about Yuuji as a main character. He says something funny or inappropriate every other sentence. Also, how that rubs off on Makina is priceless. Michiru and Sachi together is also incredibly funny.

Wait? What?

Hidden Content

I do agree that was too much too, and it could have been done better.

Hidden Content

In the end everyone interprets everything in their own way so i understand where you are coming from. 

Well, he did involved the other girls by telling them Michiru died. Great emotional scene but kinda cruel for the girls. And even if the school was destroyed, it is planned to rebuilt it just after so in the end, no damages and no psychological trauma. I still don't believe that Michiru is A-ok after all this time spent buried in a coffin... but let's go with it.
But I get your point that it's a little too much that everybody is cool with blowing up the school and rebuilt it after just like that. Personnaly I think it was awesome so I just went with the flow. 

Point is, I don't think you should stop reading Grisaia just for a small incoherence like that. Sachi's good ending is just the best and it would be a shame if you missed it. So ganbare! :)

In other news, the team behind Grisaia no Kaijutsu is kicking out a new game this month that I'm really looking forward to, Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori.  It's about a Japanese zero pilot from WW2 who somehow gets transported to a fantasy world - shenanigans ensue.  The demo was very good, and I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

In other news, the team behind Grisaia no Kaijutsu is kicking out a new game this month that I'm really looking forward to, Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori.  It's about a Japanese zero pilot from WW2 who somehow gets transported to a fantasy world - shenanigans ensue.  The demo was very good, and I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

It looks pretty interesting and if it's by FrontWing, I'll try it out if it ever gets translated into English.

Oh yeah I forgot this before, but I've actually gotten 3 people and counting who hadn't even heard of Grisaia to read it based on the aforementioned screenshots alone. Kinda spammed them into submission. The first two have finished, the 3rd is reading it now and we're talking about it, which reminded me. Not sure I've done that with any other work before, and even if I have it would certainly be one person max per VN/anime/manga.

Oh yeah I forgot this before, but I've actually gotten 3 people and counting who hadn't even heard of Grisaia to read it based on the aforementioned screenshots alone. Kinda spammed them into submission. The first two have finished, the 3rd is reading it now and we're talking about it, which reminded me. Not sure I've done that with any other work before, and even if I have it would certainly be one person max per VN/anime/manga.

That's what I need to do to people who haven't read Majikoi or Kara No Shoujo.

So I've now finished Michiru's route. I'm not sure if I'm more or less peeved that the way they differentiated between the two endings for her is so lazy as compared to how unrealistic in today's world Amane's route-ending is. I'm willing to look past the basic not-grounded-in-science wrongness of Michiru's condition (since they're going for creativity) but the choice between the two endings and what happens is just absurd.

Got it on skip mode now, since I accidentally saved over the choice that opens Makina's route.