What makes Grisaia no Kajitsu so great?

starlessn1ght

• 4 months later...

Being popular doesn't mean it's good. And being good is subjective to your own tastes. If after the common route and any heroine route you still don't like GnK, don't bother, it just means it's not for you. Sometimes there is no reason for you to don't enjoy something even if everyone is telling you it's awesome. I don't like Breaking Bad. Everyone told me it's the best show ever. But I still don't enjoy it, no particular reason. I just accepted it.

As for Grisaia, well, for me 80% of the fun was the comedy. I like humor, a little drama is good but too much and I end up wondering why I read something that makes me feel bad. And in its category, Grisaia is one of the best comedy I ever read and that common route that many found boring was the highlight. Laughing makes me feel good. And Grisaia mad me laugh a lot. So I love Grisaia.

Honestly, i started with Michiru's route which i thought was good (Could have been better), then i played Amane's and didn't really like it, then Sachi's .... near the end of her route i dropped the vn.

I wouldn't say Grisaia is a bad vn but near the end of each route the vn always screws everything up and takes some very weird and extreme approaches to explain whats going on. i am glad to have come across Grisaia only because i was introduced to Michiru whom i consider to be one the best characters i have seen in vns so far. other than that Grisaia had a lot of potential, the back stories for the heroines were emotional and very well done, but like i said at some point in the route suddenly the vns screws everything up. 

What I find pretty amusing about your experience is that Michiru's route seems to be pretty widely considered to be one of the worst routes in the entire VN, aside from Yumiko's, due to the bullshit pseudoscience involved, the erratic behavior of a few of the characters compared to the other routes, and the overall ridiculousness that's ever-present after the halfway point and the "big reveal".  The story of Michiru's route was actually retconned in Meikyuu, so I think that says something about the quality of the route itself, or at least the general Japanese fan reaction to it.  Amane and Sachi's routes are generally thought of as the best, with some people swapping out Sachi's for Makina's.  Would you mind explaining why you didn't like either of their routes?

What I find pretty amusing about your experience is that Michiru's route seems to be pretty widely considered to be one of the worst routes in the entire VN, aside from Yumiko's, due to the bullshit pseudoscience involved, the erratic behavior of a few of the characters compared to the other routes, and the overall ridiculousness that's ever-present after the halfway point and the "big reveal".  The story of Michiru's route was actually retconned in Meikyuu, so I think that says something about the quality of the route itself, or at least the general Japanese fan reaction to it.  Amane and Sachi's routes are generally thought of as the best, with some people swapping out Sachi's for Makina's.  Would you mind explaining why you didn't like either of their routes?

I think you may be misinformed. Last time I did a quick search for Michiru in Japanese, I found 0 mention of any retcons, and 0 complaints about the "pseudoscience". These opinions, from what I've seen, seem to only come from people who only played the English version, and I myself remember no retconning in Meikyuu. I also dare say that Michiru is the most popular girl among the crowd in Japan, supported by the fact that she's the only character to have a spin-off title in her name.

*In fact, in a popularity poll, she was 2nd behind (who else) Kazuki.

Edited by storyteller

From what I was told by people here that read Meikyuu, something in her route was retconned. 

Apparently the "second Michiru" or "other Michiru" (don't remember exactly what she's referred to as) is now basically an imaginary friend instead of a second consciousness brought about from getting a heart transplant.

I can't actually confirm that, since I can't read Japanese, but I've heard that from a few people on Fuwa.  About the pseudoscience, I wasn't talking about the Japanese fans, who I haven't interacted with because, again, I don't know Japanese, I was talking about people I've talked to here that regard that plot point as incredibly stupid compared to the events of the other routes.  Sorry if the way I worded things confused you; I kinda screwed it up, looking back at it.

Yeah, one of the things you always hear about when it comes to Michiru is that "premise so bad, they had to retcon her".
Once again, I'll offer the other side of the argument that 1) I myself never saw any retcon and 2) no one discussing the game in Japanese seem to ever mention there being a retcon.

I can't really give you a response  :-/  All I know is that there are numerous people mentioning a retcon online in English.  Could be false info, but I personally doubt it, seeing that there are pages and pages and pages of results from the keywords "grisaia michiru retcon", and I've seen people both here and on r/visualnovels mention said retcon numerous times.

Retconned Michiru is best Michiru

I feel like watching Meikyuu and Rakuen anime adaptations, though unlike Little Busters EX! adaption which I got a lot of flak for cuz 'y ruin da exp when u can wait until 30XX for the translation VN to come out', Meikyuu and Rakuen will come out someday(?) and LB was 4/10 anyway

And the first Grisaia adaptation was a disaster so nevermind I take back everything.

michiru best girl :heart: to be honest and this i'm sure was already said many times on this thread, the problem with grisaia is that it doesnt take stance, it is not a sci-fi and not a realist vn either, sometimes it tries to be both and maybe that's why some people dislike the novel and the plot, I think that once you start reading it you shouldnt take it very serious and read it for what it is, a vn that tries to tell an story for each girl and nothing more, have fun a that time and move on :P 

My problem here is that no one seems to ever go into detail regarding the retcon. It all ways seems to be "there was a retcon, thus it sucked", and never says where the retcon happened. I would read over the whole of Meikyuu and Rakuen again to check, but I don't have the games on me right now O_o

My problem here is that no one seems to ever go into detail regarding the retcon. It all ways seems to be "there was a retcon, thus it sucked", and never says where the retcon happened. I would read over the whole of Meikyuu and Rakuen again to check, but I don't have the games on me right now O_o

what the heck is retcon :ph34r: :P 

What makes this VN so great? Let me answer this question.

It's the characters, each and every heroine, and I would say support characters like JB and our MC Yuuji too. While story isn't mindblowing, characters are definitely the strongest point of Grisaia no Kaijutsu. 

Yumiko 4 life!

Edited by Maxel

What made me skim through this thread is because I have the same opinion as the OP. Love Rewrite a lot and don't get the idea why Grisaia is popular.

However, my take on such comparisons always end up with "don't compare 2 different stories with different genre or aim of the author". Example how I hear others talk about Log Horizon compared to SAO. (I enjoyed Log Horizon too as it introduced interesting and new MMO mechanics.)

Deviate from topic and just to leave my thoughts here;

My question is how long stories bore me like Irotoridori no Sekai and Grisaia, are people rating it for the overall or because there are interesting plots?

If for 'overall', the jokes and stuff that, common routes mainly composed of, almost made me dropped Irotoridori(took me long to complete). I tried to rate it for the main route or else it might just be at average, skipped Tsukasa's route, skimmed through others except Kana as it is my first route. Any reason why Favorite makes their CG and quality so low? Quality wise AstralAir seems to be the same deal.

I might be drawing a lot of hate but I really am curious if anyone have time to even give me answers. The reason I did not use Grisaia was the fact that I watched the anime first instead of the VN. It affects my opinion like how Clannad did. Little Busters was the opposite and that's why I truly appreciated the VN than the anime. Rewrite was so enjoyable it took me 2.5 weeks to finish it.(maybe it is the mini maps' and side jokes' fault, haha). While Grisaia took me less than a week, add-in the fact I was done with and enjoyed the anime whilst some ending differs. Still Rewrite made me want to reread it again.

I think I enjoy medium length VN more like Alcot Honey Comb's, Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji and Real Imouto ga Iru Ooizumi-kun no Baai. Do you guys also skip parts of a VN when it is too long? My practice had been to skip character routes if don't like. Or else I will hardly be able to complete some like Irotoridori. 

Though not convinced but I simply take Maxel that is a few post above me for the answer why Grisais is good, character vs the story wise. 

Edited by minuore

Personally for me what makes Grisaia such an enjoyable read isn't only just the characters but how different every characters route was in their style of writing.

Basically taking a plot point and changing it in a sequel.

I see, well I haven't read the sequels and I'm sure many of the readers here on fuwa either since they are not translated... so is hard to say the plot was changed, maybe because of the anime but the anime is garbage and doesn't stay true to the first one and im sure the rest is the same so I don't know.

Personally for me what makes Grisaia such an enjoyable read isn't only just the characters but how different every characters route was in their style of writing.

Basically taking a plot point and changing it in a sequel.

I see, well I haven't read the sequels and I'm sure many of the readers her on fuwa either since they are not translated... so is hard to say the plot was changed, maybe because of the anime but the anime is garbage and doesn't stay true to the first one and im sure the rest is the same so I don't know.

True. They condensed one entire route of development into 1 episode. That made me wanna shot whoever decided that.

i know i am in the minority regarding liking Michiru's route, i just really liked Michiru's personality, i know many people consider her to be annoying/boring but i admired the fact that she tried so hard to appear 'normal' (by using her tsundere acts etc), i also liked her back story a lot. like i said her route could have been better because:

the vn could have EASILY explained that Michiru developed another personality because of the abuse she had suffered, which is psychologically possible, but they decided to add the sci-fi part and say that she got the other personality from the new heart blah blah blah

So yeah, Michiru was easily my favorite character. Regarding Amane and Sachi's route, i liked Amane's personality in the common route but once her route started i was a bit disappointed, first of all i did not like the fact that most of the route was a flash back of her past, i thought it was boring and they should have done it like Michiru's route where a little bit about her past is revealed then the vn goes back tp present and so on, it felt like we didn't see Amane and Yuuji interact much, also regarding the angelic howl, oh boy..too much bs was happening and in my opinion i thought it was a bit stupid.

Yuuji's sister was introduced and she was intelligent and all, the vn gives the impression that she had a plan to escape with Amane, but she never does and she only reveals the escape route to Amane before she gets killed (I don't even know if she was really killed anyhow). The whole situation after the accident was very unrealistic to be honest, they only fell from a cliff near the road but they made it seem like an impossible situation...

well for Sachi's route

I have nothing against Sachi as a character, i wouldn't say i liked her but i didn't dislike her, her back story was good as well, what made me drop this vn is when Yuuji blew up the school....that blew my mind...and not only that but apparently the principal also accepted that, and the vn made it seem like the most normal thing in the world, AND Yuuji decides that it is best to have sex with Sachi right after blowing up the school (while Sachi was literally at her emotional limit !) that did it for me, so i did not finish her route.

i know i am in the minority regarding liking Michiru's route, i just really liked Michiru's personality, i know many people consider her to be annoying/boring but i admired the fact that she tried so hard to appear 'normal' (by using her tsundere acts etc), i also liked her back story a lot. like i said her route could have been better because:

Hidden Content

So yeah, Michiru was easily my favorite character. Regarding Amane and Sachi's route, i liked Amane's personality in the common route but once her route started i was a bit disappointed, first of all i did not like the fact that most of the route was a flash back of her past, i thought it was boring and they should have done it like Michiru's route where a little bit about her past is revealed then the vn goes back tp present and so on, it felt like we didn't see Amane and Yuuji interact much, also regarding the angelic howl, oh boy..too much bs was happening and in my opinion i thought it was a bit stupid.

Hidden Content

well for Sachi's route

Hidden Content

I just like to say I also like Michiru. 

Edited by minuore
What am I saying?

Lets just all join in one big " Michiru have the best route!" club! \ :sachi: /

Becase i really think her route was the bestone, romantic stuff was fitting (aside from one weird sex-scene), there actually was a development and the vox in a box was priceless too (fu anime!). The only mediocre "complain" i can give is there are no Yuji's backstory in it, all other routes told us an important part of Yuji's part, but i dont really care. I'v read Michiru after Amane and found it much more well paced and really good written.

And as i already said some pages ago:

Michiru = best route :michiru:

Yumiko = best gurl :yumiko: