BG and sprite, future of VN

firecat

How is it different from any other VN? Because there are some animated bits? It's still being rendered in real-time, they're not playing back a movie file. You are using such weird terminology nobody else uses, so it's hard to understand what you actually mean.

nope its a real word:

http://www.giantbomb.com/interactive-cutscene/3015-863/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/whats-with-interactive-cut-scenes-that-only-use-on-28367216/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165491/Death_to_the_noninteractive_cutscene_say_top_game_writers.php

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/interactive-cutscenes-opinions.249326/

its different because it does not follow VN rules that we all know. it has no GUI, no interaction with player, and no developer working hard (its not hard to move pictures you know).

It just doesn't involve rules you know, you idiot.

Mahoyo is a NVL style Visual Novel, those usually don't have a GUI, the text covers the entire screen.

As for interaction with the player, how can you tell there isn't any? Have you read it? Of course not.

Besides, even a Visual Novel with no choices (which is as far as player interaction usually goes) is still considered a Visual Novel, except it falls into the Kinetic Novel subcategory.

Lastly, how can you claim there was no effort put into it when you know nothing about real Visual Novel development, not to mention that Mahoyo's production values are far above those of most VNs.

I really don't think you understand how VN development works. Mahoyo is like other VNs, but with more moving parts to the art. Other VNs having moving sprites and animated CGs, too, Mahoyo just takes it a level further. But it is never a pre-rendered movie you just sit back and watch. I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

I really don't think you understand how VN development works. Mahoyo is like other VNs, but with more moving parts to the art. Other VNs having moving sprites and animated CGs, too, Mahoyo just takes it a level further. But it is never a pre-rendered movie you just sit back and watch. I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

It just doesn't involve rules you know, you idiot.

Mahoyo is a NVL style Visual Novel, those usually don't have a GUI, the text covers the entire screen.

As for interaction with the player, how can you tell there isn't any? Have you read it? Of course not.

Besides, even a Visual Novel with no choices (which is as far as player interaction usually goes) is still considered a Visual Novel, except it falls into the Kinetic Novel subcategory.

Lastly, how can you claim there was no effort put into it when you know nothing about real Visual Novel development, not to mention that Mahoyo's production values are far above those of most VNs.

guys i make VN (no one reads signatures these days, sech), you make it sound like NVL is special or something:

NVL (derived from visual NoVeL) is where the text box encompasses the whole screen and the sentences come out in page format.

yes it has no fancy GUI but it's also not hard to copy it, all anyone has to do is make the textbox overlap with the cutscene and the cutscene itself can be paused just like dvds. its a very simple program, i bet it can be done with ren'py with just a few python codes within a month.

no you not understanding how VN works, if the player feels like VN are more anime then who even cares about reading. the heart of VN is about reading not watching anime. this is why japan publishers don't want these types of VN cutscenes, they feel too anime. yes people like different types of VN but reading is the heart of it not random action that make people read less.

you guys also claiming that its not a cutscene even know you don't know how it's been done, no in matter of fact how can you understand how art and programing works. you two have no experience in building VN (if you do sounds like you don't value people work), the art is hard work. you'll think 1000s of pictures is easy to make? no its horrible, you think music like that is done under 1 day? no it takes days, you think the programing takes a month? no there will always be a bug somewhere, you think writing is one time and done? no its multiple re-edits.

its not the game i'm talking about, its the use of cutscene in the game that i'm talking about. it feels more anime than a VN that we all talk about, it doesn't have BG or sprites anywhere, just a cutscene.

It's fine to call it a cutscene if you want I guess, but then you're basically saying every VN is one big cutscene. It's not a video file though, and nothing like a DVD. At least get that straight. IceD already said how it's done, just images with transparency, not a pre-rendered file.

You guys also claiming that its not a cutscene even know you don't know how it's been done, no in matter of fact how can you understand how art and programing works. you two have no experience in building VN (if you do sounds like you don't value people work), the art is hard work. you'll think 1000s of pictures is easy to make? no its horrible, you think music like that is done under 1 day? no it takes days, you think the programing takes a month? no there will always be a bug somewhere, you think writing is one time and done? no its multiple re-edits.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I worked on animations like these. I wrote above in plain language how is it done. Yes, it's possible in Ren'Py. And no, players actually don't care if a game is more or less animated; to them it's still a visual novel.

Don't try to sound like a smart-ass. Just because you made a couple of amateur games doesn't make you a full-fledged developer.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I worked on animations like these. I wrote above in plain language how is it done. Yes, it's possible in Ren'Py. And no, players actually don't care if a game is more or less animated; to them it's still a visual novel.

Don't try to sound like a smart-ass. Just because you made a couple of amateur games doesn't make you a full-fledged developer.

Oh wow this kid's hilarious, he thinks he knows about VN development. Sorry, but just because you've fucked around with Ren'py doesn't mean you know anything about making a VN. I can mess around with RPG Maker for a while and make a shitty game, but that doesn't make a developer.

Actually, you don't even seem to understand what a cutscene is, so I hesitate to think you have any idea about how things work.

Oh wow this kid's hilarious, he thinks he knows about VN development. Sorry, but just because you've fucked around with Ren'py doesn't mean you know anything about making a VN. I can mess around with RPG Maker for a while and make a shitty game, but that doesn't make a developer.

Actually, you don't even seem to understand what a cutscene is, so I hesitate to think you have any idea about how things work.

well you didn't know what a "interactive cutscene" was, the quotation marks are a sign of you being sarcastic. i dont just know renpy, i have knowledge of C++ using neoaxis as my engine (its not complete working engine like unity but it does work). learning C++ is easy with unity tutorials on it so i just put everything i learn into neoaxis.

http://firecat.itch.io/the-unknowns-saga-palleal-universe

now the only reason it hasn't been finnish is because adding animation to a 3D character is hard. you can't expect a free program to give you that kinda freedom.

so my turn to whack you around, that so called blog of yours is very inactive. so that questionable work ethic that you put on you signature you better change it, cause it seems like you have no work ethic (unlike us real working people).

so my turn to whack you around, that so called blog of yours is very inactive. so that questionable work ethic that you put on you signature you better change it, cause it seems like you have no work ethic (unlike us real working people).

:holo: Oh man this guy can't be for real, this is great :holo:

until i see some kind of behind the scene video, i will think of it as interactive cutscene.

From the looks of it they're using scrolling textures, a lot.

Apart from that multiple framebuffers and rendering (those) to textures.

Post processing shaders and they really like layering textures.

These are pretty common techniques used to make something absolutely awesome.

http://open.gl/has some great tutorials on OpenGL and reading them will allow you to understand better how everything works.

From the looks of it they're using scrolling textures, a lot.

Apart from that multiple framebuffers and rendering (those) to textures.

Post processing shaders and they really like layering textures.

These are pretty common techniques used to make something absolutely awesome.

http://open.gl/has some great tutorials on OpenGL and reading them will allow you to understand better how everything works.

thank you, i'm glad someone knows how its done rather than say simple things that might not work.