Books!

meru

The amount I read differ on the books I read, if they are interesting or if I get into it early, I could read my all time favorite book series "Imperium" in a month, its like 7 books with 300+ pages on each book, and it's just because I enjoy it so much, there are some books that i read and never get into so i allmost never pick the book up until it's done, so I can go months with the same book, or spend a weekend on one book that i really enjoyed.

My types of genres would be drama, romance and war stories from the antique era.
My favorite book is as stated above Imperium, the first book, if i'd have to choose one book, I really recammend it for people who enjoy antique war stories with romance in it.
My favorite autor would either be the imperium author, Sam Barone or John Green, ive read all of his books unless a new one has come out recently.

i just started the daughter of smoke and bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, im nearly finished book 1 and its decent though her build up is really slow i mean she don't reveal any real setting relevant info till the first book is 2/3 done then she kicks the pace in to high gear and starts slamming you with it all in bursts. the characters are really enjoyable though and the descriptions a action in the last half are really good. the only negative im seeing is its just a lil long winded.

...I find it sad that in a forum dedicated to text-heavy games, so few people are interested in conventional books.

It's probably just that it's not necessarily the place where you wanna talk about books. I personally don't talk about every book I read here.

Well I'm also not too much in a book mood, although I'm reading some LNs.

Came across the first two volumes of Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers if anyone's curious which one) at my local library so I decided to give them a look since I've heard good things about that line and I'm curious about the character since she'll have a debut movie in a few years. After reading them I can say they've both been pretty enjoyable. Good character writing plus some fun stuff going on in the story like time travel in the first volume and in the second book dinosaurs show up in New York. Sadly the third volume isn't in the library system so I'm going to have to buy it myself since volume 2 ends in a bit of a cliffhanger <_< .

...I find it sad that in a forum dedicated to text-heavy games, so few people are interested in conventional books.

I love books, I just don't usually tell people what I read  >.>

Rereading World War Z right now.  I was originally just rereading it as a bedtime story, but it sparked my interest again and I'm now rereading it completely.  Real shame about the movie; a documentary-style flick with flashbacks would have been really interesting, or at least more interesting than Brad Pitt killing zombies :amane:

I gotta get more books to read.  I'm pretty much just rereading the same books over and over and over again.

I just finished reading the two Brandon Sanderson short stories that recently (I think?) came out as standalone stories on Kindle:

- Perfect State was amazing and you should go read it now. It's great as a speculative fiction work that is not what it first appears to be, and I expect it's sort of an introductory story to yet another world he's building. Really interesting stuff, and made me really, really want a sequel.

- Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell was a little darker, but also very good.

As is typical of his stuff, both are quick, compelling reads.

I used too read shit ton when I was younger, like book in 2 days. But after I got into games I started to read less and less, nowadays I read books very rarely, only if I happen to find something really interesting. There's still a huge pile of books next to my bed that seemed interesting, but I have yet to start reading.

Yesterday I went to library 4 hrs and read Witcher: Time of Contempt (actually Noituri: Halveksunnan aika since I'm reading the Finnish tranlation), just because I felt like reading some witcher. Witcher books are pretty much the only ones I'm really looking forward to and enjoy reading. The gritty world of witcher is something that hooked me up from the start, as I had never seen a story which handles the grey morality as well. The references to the European folklore and stories made by twisting them are also really interesting, since I had heard the original tales as bedtime stories. And the humor is great too, also in kind of dark and cynic way.

Been reading the 2014 run of The Thunderbolts comics and just finished the third volume. Been some pretty good stuff so far, especially the group dynamic of a bunch of anti-heroes (and a villain) working together. The third one ended on an interesting but not too unexpected twist and I'm curious what the next volume holds (and if we'll ever see Deadpool pick a mission).

I've read The Setting Sun and No Longer Human.

No Longer Human is pretty good and I recommend it if you want to get into him. It's the most accessible and famous book of Osamu. The Setting Sun is deals more with Japanese culture at the end of WWII but you don't need much knowledge of the culture to get a better understanding of the book unlike the works of Natsume and Kawabata. 

On another note, I've started reading Pilgrim at Tinder Creek. It's a great american nonfiction novel with interesting prose, stemming its philosophy from Christian mysticism and transcendentalism. If you're a fan of Thoreau's or Emerson's work then I suggest checking it out. 

Just finished reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

I remember watching the movie adaptation before back in high school, but wasn't too fond of it. And to be honest, I'd say the same goes for the book. Krakauer did an interesting job constructing his book keeping it non-fiction, however, in the end I just couldn't enjoy it that much, I didn't like Chris McCandless in the slightest bit and had no feeling of sympathy for him whatsoever. 

Just finished reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

I remember watching the movie adaptation before back in high school, but wasn't too fond of it. And to be honest, I'd say the same goes for the book. Krakauer did an interesting job constructing his book keeping it non-fiction, however, in the end I just couldn't enjoy it that much, I didn't like Chris McCandless in the slightest bit and had no feeling of sympathy for him whatsoever.

I had to read that as summer reading for my junior English class, and I hated every minute of it. Chris McCandless was possibly the LEAST sympathetic person ice ever read about, and yet the narrative tries to paint him as this tragic, heroic figure. Because, you know, ignoring people's advice and going deep into the Alaskan wilderness is a mistake anyone could make, and we should all feel sorry that he inevitably died, right?

...sorry for the rant. But it's been almost 2 years, and the thought of that book still makes me angry.

Completed 1st book Sandry's Book, of Circle of Magic series. By Tamora Pierce.

Some thoughts of mine about the book.

I remember reading this when I was younger, I liked it quite a lot back then. It's perhaps a book leaning more on the younger audiences (around 15y).

I still find it a great book even now. Because of the world, characters and magic is all very nice to be immersed in. I'll explain why..

The book change between 4 different characters point of view (POV). Each one having good and negative sides with them. You can immerse yourself in each one of them, their lives and how they think and react. I felt all of their personalities rang with me, they are all part of me. My ideals, my negatives and such. Although I found them easy to connect with, I wouldn't say they are simple characters. Also while I watched their growth I felt endeared to them. It was like watching children part of me growing up.

The stuff that happens is mostly just everyday stuff in that world and some drama. I found it as relaxing immersion in their world and the characters world.
It has some interesting way of thinking about magic as well. There is multiple types of magic in that world. And the focus is on not standard magic school that is most normal there. (I suppose as well in most works of fantasy also). The you study, you chant incantations and throw spells etc.

Rather, the magic the characters have use is "only" through using practical items or applications, connected to the normal living most of the time.
They resonate with plants, or weaving, weather, smithing, etc. I found that pretty cool because of the description of the use of magic. Very good immersion in it. Because of the writing and descriptions from the characters POV. You felt much like you were part of the magic feeling of the characters.

Broad view of what I thought was good about the book was. The immersion in the world, the characters and the magic. Good stuff. It's also quite easy to read as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished reading the first Witcher book "The Last Wish". Overall enjoyed it though the recurring parody of classic fairy tales started to get a bit annoying after the second time. Gotten the second book digitally so I'll read that soon enough. Am a bit curious though, since the book's stories keep mentioning how monsters seem to be noticeably dwindling so how come there are so many in the games?