Books!

meru

After reading the seventh volume in the My Little Pony comics I can say 7 was certainly not a lucky number for this series as of the two stories the first story was just okay but really slow and the second story just plain sucked. The plot was like an episode of Captain Planet but not as hilariously bad as that could get.

I just ordered "The Martian" on Amazon. I heard good things about this novel and there's apparently a motion picture based on it that'll come out soon.

It's a story of a Mars mission gone wrong where a survivor gets stranded on the planet due to a local storm. No one on Earth knows he's still alive and he lost the ability to contact home. On top of that, he only has enough supply to survive for as long as 31 days while knowing that preparing for a Mars mission, let alone any form of rescue mission, can take years.

As a big fan of Sci-fi, I'm looking forward to immerse myself into the story.

Read The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Such a wonderful story. It's "originally" a children's story. But it can be read and enjoyed by all ages. It's short (about 100 pages) and easily read, I recommend anyone to read it really.

It opens your mind to the different mindsets in the world. You get the position from more literal view, a view more from a child or a person from another planet. The story is somewhat satirical, it is very funny. But has very important messages to get from it.

This might seem as a easy and obvious. But it's not. We too easily put them aside. It should be a lesson we never forget as we get older. It should always be forever in our hearts. Forever, in our hearts.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, Rooke, I have seriously got to thank you for the recommendation. I finally managed to get a trip to the library (god, why is this so hard), and I checked out The Wise Man's Fear. This is the most fun I've had with a book since I started Harry Potter in elementary school. The characters are have such great depth and enriched personality, and this can get pretty funny on occasion too. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find The Name of the Wind, so I'm kinda reading this out of order. There isn't anything that doesn't make sense to me so far, so I'll keep going with it for now and buy the first book when I'm able to.

Reading Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard Of Earthsea. Such beautiful prose!

I read those books when I was a kid.  I think I got to The Farthest Shore and stopped after I finished it.  I really should go back and re-read them, since I doubt I really appreciated it for anything besides the story.

Currently reading Baptism of Fire from the Witcher series.  I still gotta get my hands on The Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish before I buy the sequels, though.  I jumped into the series with Blood of Elves, and I was a little confused.  Anyway...Sapkowski sure knows how to write witty dialogue.

The thing is I am not much a fan of fantasy, but Le Guin blew me away with The Dispossessed, which is the best book I have read all year so far, so I went in for Le Guin. And the prose, oh god the prose. It isn't about making the reader aware that they're reading masterful prose, but it's just that the events are narrated perfectly for a fantasy novel. You aren't bombarded with character upon character nor location upon location, and overall I like it.

After I finish A Wizard Of Earthsea, I'll try to read Hyperion- I liked the prose of that too but I just couldn't focus. 

Im going to buy Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami, he is one of my favorite authors and I stumbled apon it in a local bookstore in the nearest town.

Its fairly small compaired to his other works but the setting is promising and I read a lot of VNs on the side so I dont need something really heavy atm.

Reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for school summer reading (still got a month to go in school though)

How did you get on with this? I read Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (after listening to the Saturnus album of the same name) and really liked it, so I'm curious whether the rest of his work is of a similar standard.

I'm currently about 30 pages away from finishing Paper Towns by John Green, and then I'm reading Germinal by Emile Zola. I'm about 2 chapters into that already and it seems good, if really bleak.

Im going to buy Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami, he is one of my favorite authors and I stumbled apon it in a local bookstore in the nearest town.

Its fairly small compaired to his other works but the setting is promising and I read a lot of VNs on the side so I dont need something really heavy atm.

I enjoyed that one quite a bit, but I always find Murakami's work to be simultaneously easy-to-read, emotionally impactful, and thought-provoking. He's one of my favorite authors as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished reading the first Witcher book "The Last Wish". Overall enjoyed it though the recurring parody of classic fairy tales started to get a bit annoying after the second time. Gotten the second book digitally so I'll read that soon enough. Am a bit curious though, since the book's stories keep mentioning how monsters seem to be noticeably dwindling so how come there are so many in the games?

Comedy – Terry Pratchett

Serious, gritty fantasy – George Martin

Steven Erikson

R Scott Bakker

Best fantasy which doesn’t really fit into a category – Neil Gaiman

Cerebral/intellectual fantasy – Neal Stephenson

China Mielville

Steampunk - Gail Carriger

Scott Westerfield

Cherie Priest

I like your tastes :) Can you suggest me something in SF genre (my favorite one is Tiger! Tiger! by Bester and Coils by Zelazny. Just no one ever heard about these books, when I ever ask about that :)). So sort of that, I think, if possible.

I'm not who was addressed but whatever, here goes.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

My favorite sci-fi book. The prose is fucking hilarious and yet the story itself is a masterpiece.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The story of an expedition to a moon of Jupiter in order to follow a signal left by a mysterious monolith found in the Moon.

That's the ones I can think of for now, I'll edit in more later.