Books!

meru

I got a bit addicted to 40K novels, especially anything by Dan Abnett, fun books with some clever twists. I also read the song of ice and fire and some agatha christie novels.

But I don't have a lot of time for them (because of VN's, anime and games).

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well and try to revive this topic once again.

I just started a book called Epic. Seems pretty good so far. Basically all the worlds politics and decisions are made by fighting in a worldwide MMO. If you loose, you loose everything, inside the game and outside.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd unearth this thread...

Since I've been in a bit of an anime burnout those last few weeks, I've worked a bit on my pile of books to read.

I've read some books by Haruki Murakami (namely Kafka on the Shore, Spoutnik Lovers and Norwegian Wood). 

His writing is very digest, which makes those books easy to read. However, the construction of the story can be a bit anarchic at times, which I found damageable for the immersion and the comprehension. 

The main thing is, I find it hard to figure out his books. When I finish one, I'm like, "what was the point". It's a good ride, there's always those clues that there's a message going on here, but in the end I just don't know what to think and it's frustrating.

But there's definitely something that clicks me in his stories. I think he captures very well the era and the kind of people he's trying to portray - and since we're talking about a modern (or rather postmodern?) author it's easy to relate to it. 

So, yeah, good experiences, all of them. Do not read Norwegian Wood if you're going through a depressive period though.

On another note, I started reading The Great Gatsby. Can't say if the story will be interesting or not (I often find it hard to relate to old classics), but damn, that's definitely one of the best prose I've ever read in english.

I've given in to the hoards of fandom and decided to read A Game of Thrones. May God have mercy on my soul...

You won't regret it (except maybe when characters are dropping dead everywhere and you want to kill GRRM)! I've read the first 4 and am starting on the 5th now. It is soooooooo gooooooood~~!

You won't regret it (except maybe when characters are dropping dead everywhere and you want to kill GRRM)! I've read the first 4 and am starting on the 5th now. It is soooooooo gooooooood~~!

I'm about 100 pages into the 2ed one and I have to say,it was quite a culture shock during the first one when people started dropping dead every other chapter when in most books, that doesn't really happen to anyone but the main Big Bad.

I've read some books by Haruki Murakami (namely Kafka on the Shore, Spoutnik Lovers and Norwegian Wood). 

His writing is very digest, which makes those books easy to read. However, the construction of the story can be a bit anarchic at times, which I found damageable for the immersion and the comprehension. 

The main thing is, I find it hard to figure out his books. When I finish one, I'm like, "what was the point". It's a good ride, there's always those clues that there's a message going on here, but in the end I just don't know what to think and it's frustrating.

I've been hearing a lot about Murakami recently. Apparently he is one of the great contemporary writers. However, I haven't read anything by him yet, although I'm starting to feel that I should.  I've especially been hearing a lot about his IQ84. Of the books you've read of his, which would recommend the most?

On another note, I started reading The Great Gatsby. Can't say if the story will be interesting or not (I often find it hard to relate to old classics), but damn, that's definitely one of the best prose I've ever read in english.

I love this book for how accurately it portrays the wealthy American elite, particularity during an economic boom. Hell I would argue this book almost predicted The Great Depression.

i read a lot beside vn's ofcourse.

usually on mondays and tuesdays ill go to the library and pick a random book from the shelves.

i generally tend to read romance and drama books.

mystery and detective story's are good too.

but what usually does it is just a story set in the past.

i dont really remember titles because i just pick random books of shelves anyway.

I've been hearing a lot about Murakami recently. Apparently he is one of the great contemporary writers. However, I haven't read anything by him yet, although I'm starting to feel that I should.  I've especially been hearing a lot about his IQ84. Of the books you've read of his, which would recommend the most?

I don't know if he could be called one of the great contemporary writers (I don't read all that much non-SF books usually), but he's definitely worth trying.

Out of the three I've read, Norwegian Wood is definitely the best. Spoutnik Lovers has the same sort of themes but is shorter and less impactful. Kafka on the Shore is quite different, with more weird things (it actually managed to surprise me at some points), but I related less with the story.

Couldn't say about 1Q84, it definitely interests me, because it seems to be his work that is the closest to science-fiction, but it often gets reviewed negatively by science-fiction reviewers (whereas others find it good).

I've given in to the hoards of fandom and decided to read A Game of Thrones. May God have mercy on my soul...

You're in for a long and great ride...

Thought I'd unearth this thread...

Since I've been in a bit of an anime burnout those last few weeks, I've worked a bit on my pile of books to read.

But there's definitely something that clicks me in his stories. I think he captures very well the era and the kind of people he's trying to portray - and since we're talking about a modern (or rather postmodern?) author it's easy to relate to it. 

So, yeah, good experiences, all of them. Do not read Norwegian Wood if you're going through a depressive period though.

I love "The Great Gatsby" one of the bestest book ever. I saw the movie when it first came out for theaters :D

Wait, actually... i don't know if i love it... I hate Daisy, but i love Gatsby... :|

Books i had read the past few months: 

Anna dressed in blood

Girl of nightmare (sequel to: Anna dressed in blood)

A princess of mars (i saw the movie first "John Carter" and loved it)

The longest ride (my friend lent me her book, i got to say i loved this.)

I forgot some other books i had read... anyways i'm a guy who loves romance. Mainly romance books with a Male's point of view otherwise i won't read it :|

I used to read a lot, but VN's are time consuming so it has been some time since I read something.

Some books I remembered I liked are:

Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy

Misery by Stephen King

The Dark Tower saga by Stephen King (only read 4 of them but i plan to read them all)

Assassin's Creed (Only 3 of them)

DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons and the third one that i can't remember the name right now

Crime and Punishment

Desperation by Stephen King

and some other stuff in portugese/spanish that i won't bother to try and translate the names

there are also the book i disliked such as:

Twilight Saga

Harry Potter

Narnia

I guess that's it, is kinda hard to remember everything

Also, i just remembered what may be one of the best quotes ever, you ready? Here it goes:

"Oh no, not again!". Made me laugh so much.

Yeah, I do a lot of reading, probably ever since being exposed to the Chronicles of Narnia after my parents got divorced when I was 9.  I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy, with some of my favorite authors being Terry Brooks(the Shannara series), Isaac Asimov and Elaine Cunningham.  One of my favorite books of all time is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  It's a children's novel, but the writing is so clever that I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading, regardless of age.

I got my first e-reader, a Kobo Glo, a year ago, and I actually prefer it to dead tree books now.  I've read over 40 books on it(mostly Star Wars and Forgotten Realms novels) since then.

i love to read but as i've been absorbed in vns and anime and manga these last few months i havent read much but im eagerly awaiting the new addition to the dresden files book 15 skin game butcher is great iv read everything hes had published thus far also a fan of king iv read a lot of his books including all his dark tower series except the wind through the keyhole iv been saving that one . my fave authors are love craft and poe my highschool years were filled with reading as much of those two as i could find poes book pym is my fave of his and out of lovecraft's id say its a tie between at the mountains of madness and beyond the wall of sleep.

I grew up watching to write novels so I read a lot of books back in the days. Even back then, I particularly enjoyed guide books. How to write stories better, books about grammar, etc. These days, I mostly read those types of books :). In the past few months, I've been reading books about game design as well.

Harry Potter I've read though not all of them. Stephen King was pretty awesome. Neil Gaiman was cool as well.

I grew up watching to write novels so I read a lot of books back in the days. Even back then, I particularly enjoyed guide books. How to write stories better, books about grammar, etc. These days, I mostly read those types of books :). In the past few months, I've been reading books about game design as well.

Harry Potter I've read though not all of them. Stephen King was pretty awesome. Neil Gaiman was cool as well.

Love Stephen King's novels. Read through a few of them and was always interested. Never read Harry Potter, but i might.

Could anyone give me some tips of some easy to read books in french? I'm reading Petit Prince right now which I think is the limit of what I can read so I'm looking at books at the around the same level or lower. I don't care if its written for children or adults as long as its good.

I could probably manage something with more advanced vocab than Petit Prince if it uses less passé simple though.

Could anyone give me some tips of some easy to read books in french? I'm reading Petit Prince right now which I think is the limit of what I can read so I'm looking at books at the around the same level or lower. I don't care if its written for children or adults as long as its good.

I could probably manage something with more advanced vocab than Petit Prince if it uses less passé simple though.

Hm, tbh I'm not sure exactly what is the level of Le Petit Prince...

There's that youth fantasy series of books I liked a lot when I was kid, it's called La Quête d'Ewilan, by Pierre Bottero. It's really good (well it was when I was younger at least) and should not be too hard.

Maybe a bit harder, there's Bernard Werber. He's a rather well known author and he wrote some pretty good stuff like Les Fourmis or Les Thanatonautes.

Honestly, it would be hard for me to say what exactly the degree of difficulty of those books would be. Definitely not on the hard side, but... Maybe you should try to get more information about them before trying.

Other than that, most of the authors I know would probably be quite hard...

I have to say, two of my favorite book series are the Edge Chronicles and the Broken Sky series. Both are awesome. And I also love a nice touch of WH40K, although nothing not related to either the Eldar or the Imperium. I cannot abide the stench of Chaos. Lord of the Rings was also good, nice to see some stuff not included in the films like that dick of tree and Tom Bombadil.

Anything else...............the Conqueror's Shadow by Ari Marmell was very good, nice mix of comedy and seriousness. And that's all that I can think of for now.

Hm, tbh I'm not sure exactly what is the level of Le Petit Prince...

There's that youth fantasy series of books I liked a lot when I was kid, it's called La Quête d'Ewilan, by Pierre Bottero. It's really good (well it was when I was younger at least) and should not be too hard.

Maybe a bit harder, there's Bernard Werber. He's a rather well known author and he wrote some pretty good stuff like Les Fourmis or Les Thanatonautes.

Honestly, it would be hard for me to say what exactly the degree of difficulty of those books would be. Definitely not on the hard side, but... Maybe you should try to get more information about them before trying.

Other than that, most of the authors I know would probably be quite hard...

Thanks I'll check them out!

I've read quite extensively. From Tolstoy to J.R.R Tolkien. Lately I've been reading a lot of translated Japanese Science Fiction novels, i.e The Lord of the Sands of Time and All You Need Is Kill. I've also read all of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels as well as most of the novels written by Dan Abnett.