Books!

meru

hmm i pretty much enjoyed reading:

- Robert Silverbergs "Lord of Darkness"

- Noah Gordons "The Medicus"

- Alexander Solschenizyn "Archipel Gulag"

- Various dramas from Seneca the younger

Gulag is so bad book, in terms of both writing and facts distortion... That guy deliberately wrote such extreme things to get an approval and protection from USSR. Other 2 are good ones, read them too time ago.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

My favorite sci-fi book. The prose is fucking hilarious and yet the story itself is a masterpiece.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The story of an expedition to a moon of Jupiter in order to follow a signal left by a mysterious monolith found in the Moon.

That's the ones I can think of for now, I'll edit in more later.

I do not like "hilarious" prose, so Pratchett, Adams and similar authors are out of question. 2001 Space Odyssey is another example of a novel which should remain in a short story form, at least I think so.

My personal favorite novel of all time is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It's not exactly approachable or accessible, but if you can appreciate Stephenson's unique prose, it's one of the most interesting and varied works of fiction out there. For sci-fi, I'd say Orson Scott Card's Ender series, though I still feel that Ender's Game was the best even though it was the first.

For overall favorite series, probably Lincoln & Child's Pendergast series, or Kellerman's Alex Delaware series.

• 2 weeks later...

So I read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. It was a bit meh, not as good as I was hoping. Started reading Stephen King's The Gunslinger, a friend really liked it and recommended it to me and I have to say it has utterly blindsided me a few times so far, interesting to see where it goes.

After this I will likely reread The Alchemist (school assigned reading I originally did in June). After that, I am planning on starting Kafka's The Castle, Asimov's short stories, or Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Also read The Lathe Of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin, big disappointment, didn't grab me like her other works did at ALL. IDK why.

Don't have much time for recreational reading at the moment due to having to do preparations for my history course and Grisaia, but I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go' - my flatmate has given me fair warning that it might break me, but we'll just see. I mean, I only cried at The Fault In Our Stars, like, 4 times.

Ahh... What is this? I can't believe what I am reading right now. I've even purchased a physical copy of this behemoth on a spur of the moment, so I must in theory be directly attributing myself to something dangerous here (dangerously perpetual). I'm reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, a famous Important nonfiction book about.. something inexplicable, yet, really cool.

xUAn1MH.jpg

After reading 

Renai Chuudoku (Loveholic) by Yamamoto Fumio, I liked it enough to pick up a few more of her works.

Just finished Rakka Ryuusui, and I'm convinced I liked this author.

Also finished Season II Book III of Oishii Koohii no Irekata (How to Brew Tasty Coffee).

Edit:

Finished Planaria by the first author above.

Reading Yoake Made 1 Mile (1 Mile to Dawn) by the second author above.

Edit:

Finished that too.

Where to go next?

Edited by storyteller

• 3 weeks later...

Reading Kafka's The Castle and I have been convinced since like the fifth page that I am too young to remotely even comprehend this shit. After I stop reading after a 30-minute session, my mind is in a garbled, murky state of confusion. Everything written makes sense, but you never feel you have an actual grasp on anything. Deceit upon deceit brings you down. There's a never before seen depth to everything buried under a murky layer of complex affairs.

Reading Kafka's The Castle and I have been convinced since like the fifth page that I am too young to remotely even comprehend this shit. After I stop reading after a 30-minute session, my mind is in a garbled, murky state of confusion. Everything written makes sense, but you never feel you have an actual grasp on anything. Deceit upon deceit brings you down. There's a never before seen depth to everything buried under a murky layer of complex affairs.

Nah dude, Kafka does that. Part of the reason his work's so amazing really, makes you think far beyond what you normally would do.

Finished Tsuki Dake ga Watashi no Shiteiru Koto wo Miteiru.

Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the last few books as I read it, but I totally missed all the hints the author was dropping throughout the novel, so she was probably a better writer than I gave her credit for.

Ended up being a bit more enjoyable for that, but still, not nearly as good as the last few books.

Just finished The Catcher in the Rye, I don't really know what to say about it honestly. I was pretty neutral during most of it but the ending tied it up pretty well so I guess that I ended up kinda liking it in the end. I think that the first two thirds could have been a bit shorter though (not that it's a long book) since it mostly just makes the same points all over. It's pretty easy to see how it came to be so influential at least.

Probably going to read something in japanese next, I borrowed Nemuri by Haruki Murakami from the international library a while ago and it needs to be returned soon so I should probably get to that.