Books!

meru

Do you read a lot? What kind of books do you like to read? Favourite novel? Favourite author?

I've recently finished A Song of Ice and Fire #1 by George R R Martin, and The Rats by James Herbert. I'm currently reading The Picture of Dorian Grey.

My favourite genres are horror and fantasy. I tend to avoid romance and drama.

My favourite books are probably Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (so cliche..), Feed by Mira Grant, and World War Z by Max Brooks (I like zombies). I've read a ton of other excellent books, but those are a few that have really stayed with me.

So.. let's discuss!

I used to read tons of fantasy and some science-fiction. My favorites are mostly classics of those genres: A Song of Ice and Fire, The Black Company, Dune, Foundation... And others too.

Since a year or two I've widened my tastes a bit, but that's also when I started watching animes and reading VNs, so I don't read that much now, which is kinda sad...

I'm currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (yet another classic of science-fiction) and it's probably the most hilarious thing I've read ever, it's really great.

I've also started The Malazan Books of the Fallen, I'm not very far in it though and kinda slow at making progress. I plan to finally read Flowers for Algernon in the upcoming days, because people keep telling me it's one of the most amazing sci-fi novels ever. If I find the time I will also start reading Dante's Divine Comedy (yeah, ok, I DID buy this because of Kara no Shoujo...)

I love reading, though sadly I haven't managed to read much lately.

Thing I've read off the top of my head when I was younger:

Mystery series by Enid Blyton

Famous Five by Enid Blyton

Secret Seven by Enid Blyton

Harry Potter

Hardy Boys

Sherlock Holmes

Some book called Spy X, can't find anything regarding the series on the Internet though :V

So yeah >3>; got to read these only due to my library, and then I just got into VN's instead.

However, I am planning to finally change that and get into reading again, with the following <3:

Lord of the Rings

The Silmarillion

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Dune Chronicles

American Gods

Wheel of Time

Neuromancer

I, Robot

Snow Crash

The Amber Chronicles

Mistborn Trilogy

The Hyperion Cantos

Sword of Truth series

Hunger Games

I don't read much now (besides VNs) but I used to read a lot. I love fantasy books.

I finished the last book of A Song of Ice and Fire about half a year ago, and they are simply awesome.

I love The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Eragon and a lot more.

One of my favorites is The Name of the Wind.

Yes, I used to read a lot. Now, I've gotten out of the habit, switched all my reading over to Japanese manga or VNs. I keep meaning to try a light novel at some point too.

But I have read a number of the books mentioned in this thread, so let me comment real quick...

The Picture of Dorian Gray - I liked it. It was Twilight Zone-ish, I think it's worth reading once anyway.

Lord of the Rings - One of my all time favorites, along with the Hobbit. Just head and shoulders above most other fantasy books I tried. However, I did also take a look at the Prydain books (Book of 3, Black Cauldron, etc.)

Dune - Somehow the book got on my nerves after a while. But when I saw the movie, I actually liked it a lot better. The imagery of the movie made a lasting impression on me. "Purists" don't like it, but Frank Herbert himself liked the movie.

Foundation - It was--weird. I liked it originally, but by the time it got to Foundation Edge I thought it had gotten too weird for me.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - There aren't many books that caused me to stop reading and laugh out loud, continually, like this one did.

ALSO RECOMMENDED: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency also by Douglas Adams

I, Robot - This is a classic. The book that introduced the 3 laws of robotics, which are referenced all over the place, even in the Vocaloid VNs. It is not like the Will Smith action movie, though--it's regular Asimov SF. I read some of the later Robots books too, but they weren't quite as good.

Jurassic park - One of my favorite books. Suspenseful. Has a deadly seriousness to it that the movie doesn't have--apparently they thought the movie needed to be a light-hearted action movie.

ALSO RECOMMENDED: State of Fear.

I guess one of my favorites not mentioned here is The World Of Jeeves. Somebody recommended to me saying If I liked British humor... turned out to be a hilarious book. Kind of like Hitchhikers guide style without the SF. from wikipedia:

"The Jeeves and Wooster stories, narrated by the wealthy, scatterbrained Bertie Wooster. A number of stories and novels that recount the improbable and unfortunate situations in which he and his friends find themselves and the manner in which his ingenious butler Jeeves is always able to extricate them"

• 3 months later...

Reading? It has been a while since I have. I used to be either playing video games or reading books. Had a bookshelf in my room with dozens of them. Now? With the University and Anime, I dont have time to read them for pleasure. IT has been several months since I have. But of all the books that I have read, here are my top two, winning by big margins:

2) Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Book 1 was what got me to love reading. When I was a wee lad, I hated reading and my Reading class was my worst subject. Then I stole my sister's copy of the first HP book and read it to get on her nerves (she was a major reader and cherished her books). After reading a chapter, found myself reading more and more. After that, I read whatever I can get my hands on and grew to love all the other books in the series

1) KingKiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. My all time favorite, even beating the HP series. I can't say much about the books (2 currently, 1 more to be released 'TBD'), because I will fill pages about why I love it. I highly recommend you to read it, for it is a lovely Fantasy book about a young man narrating his life to a chronicler. I won't give much info on here, so search it up, and give it a look.

I go through reading phases, sometimes I will read pretty intensively for a few months, then I'll focus on something else and won't read anything for the next few months.

I'm currently about halfway through Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy. (currently at "The Enemy of God") "The Winter King" was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to reading this. Other than that I'm eagerly waiting for GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire book 6, The Winds of Winter.

1) KingKiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. My all time favorite, even beating the HP series. I can't say much about the books (2 currently, 1 more to be released 'TBD'), because I will fill pages about why I love it. I highly recommend you to read it, for it is a lovely Fantasy book about a young man narrating his life to a chronicler. I won't give much info on here, so search it up, and give it a look.

I've ordered his books into the local library and can't wait to get my hands on them. I only heard about him when it was announced he was writing for the new 'Torment - Tales of Numenara' game. Back then I thought he was just some anonymous, no-name writer, but after a while I noticed there were too many people excited about his involvement. Have only recently had a peek at the books he's written and they look really good.

I've ordered his books into the local library and can't wait to get my hands on them. I only heard about him when it was announced he was writing for the new 'Torment - Tales of Numenara' game. Back then I thought he was just some anonymous, no-name writer, but after a while I noticed there were too many people excited about his involvement. Have only recently had a peek at the books he's written and they look really good.

Yeah, he was a no-namer before. But after his second book, he has been putting himself out more. His books are also getting their own TV show with Fox. That, I am interested in. But enjoy reading the books! An advice: This guy thought out his story before he began writing the first book, so everything he writes is for a reason. Pay attention to the small details.

• 1 month later...

Oh god, I have read so many books in the last three years alone that I probably can't remember them all. I mostly read fantasy novels, though I do occasionally venture off of that path. I pretty much only get my books of of my high school library.

Here's what I have read that I can remember off the top of my head.

Harry Potter series (7 books)

Percy Jackson series (5 books)

The Kane Chronicles (3 books)

A Series of Unfortunate Events (this one was a long time ago) (13 books)

The Seven Realms series (4 books)

Maximum Ride series (8 books)

The Hunger Games (3 books)

Airborn

Skybreaker

Starclimber

A Song of Ice and Fire

Eon

Eona

The Compound

Angels and Demons

The Da Vinci Code

The Lost Symbol (Reading now)

I know that there are plenty more, but I can't seem to remember...