Clannad

God of Conquest

(I've been waiting for a more-qualified response to this, but since people are out enjoying the weekend and not answering, I'll put out one or two thoughts) I haven't seen much of the anime, so I can't comment on the VN/Anime correlation, but as a VN I'm finding Clannad to be very rewarding. If you enjoy slice of life, then Clannad is fantastic. I've found the humor to be top-notch and very memorable. Characterization is surprisingly good as you go along (with the "fuzziness" of Nagisa at the start I wasn't sure what was coming my way. Happily, within the first hour of playing my fears were assuaged), and the cast of characters offers something for everyone.

In my experience, I'm finding that Clannad's an easy recommendation to make to anyone.

I'm not really qualified to answer this either because I didn't complete the VN, but what I will say is that that was only because I played it after having watched the anime, and found it added nothing new in terms of content, and hence got bored! In fact, I find Clannad is one of those rare exceptions where I'd argue the anime adaptation is even BETTER than the VN! Odd because yoou'd think all the touchy-feely emotions they discuss would be better suited to a text for that, but I found the multisensory experience that the animation provided made for an even better experience

As such as much as I like the series, I'd have to say that if you really honestly didn't like the anime, you probably won't enjoy the VN that much more...

Play all the routes except Kyou/Ryou route because it wasn't written by Jun Maeda (and stands out like a sore thumb)

:s I liked Kyou the most, but I guess it's because she is tsundere. That being said Clannad was my third VN, I didn't know much about the stereo types at that time.

Her BGM is pretty epic too. (if not the most epic one)

The VN is pretty good, deep characters not so interesting story. Lots of uninteresting barter imo. So I put the auto reading to 0.3 sec something, atleast very fast through around the last 3/4 part of main game (not afterstory). Cried inside after afterstory of course.

If you watch the anime and didn't like it I doubt you will enjoy the VN, it's kind of the same but 9000x more of, with more dept and feeling.

(I've been waiting for a more-qualified response to this, but since people are out enjoying the weekend and not answering, I'll put out one or two thoughts) I haven't seen much of the anime, so I can't comment on the VN/Anime correlation, but as a VN I'm finding Clannad to be very rewarding. If you enjoy slice of life, then Clannad is fantastic. I've found the humor to be top-notch and very memorable. Characterization is surprisingly good as you go along (with the "fuzziness" of Nagisa at the start I wasn't sure what was coming my way. Happily, within the first hour of playing my fears were assuaged), and the cast of characters offers something for everyone.

In my experience, I'm finding that Clannad's an easy recommendation to make to anyone.

Interesting. I feel like Clannad is something that I should at least try to like, since it's such a classic. You know what I mean?

I'm not really qualified to answer this either because I didn't complete the VN, but what I will say is that that was only because I played it after having watched the anime, and found it added nothing new in terms of content, and hence got bored! In fact, I find Clannad is one of those rare exceptions where I'd argue the anime adaptation is even BETTER than the VN! Odd because yoou'd think all the touchy-feely emotions they discuss would be better suited to a text for that, but I found the multisensory experience that the animation provided made for an even better experience

As such as much as I like the series, I'd have to say that if you really honestly didn't like the anime, you probably won't enjoy the VN that much more...

Ok. See, I was surprised that Clannad didn't do to me what Key's other big name, Kanon, did, because it's very similar stylistically. Would you agree?

Then again, Clannad doesn't have Makoto. ;_;

Interesting. I feel like Clannad is something that I should at least try to like, since it's such a classic. You know what I mean?

Ok. See, I was surprised that Clannad didn't do to me what Key's other big name, Kanon, did, because it's very similar stylistically. Would you agree?

Then again, Clannad doesn't have Makoto. ;_;

I haven't played or watched Kanon, but you have my thanks for finally having made me dig out and cycle through my Air and Kanon anime episodes that I've been hoarding for the past half a year!

I can definitely see why you'd prefer Kanon, despite only having finished the 1st episode. The way I see it, Kanon has a sorta otherworldliness to it that Clannad lacks. Things like the snowy town and the unexplained memories, it literally transports you to that friendly, semi-rural setting and leaves you wanting to know more. Clannad, on the other hand, is all about the ordinary. Its got no immediate mysteries, an average, nondescript setting, and a story that focuses more on finding happiness in this ordinary everyday than unravelling some unseen plot.

The characters also feel quite different. It's like in Clannad, your first meet frail little Nagisa at the foot of the hill, where she's all.......whereas in Kanon, the first girl you meet is the friendly, girlish Nayuki, who's all.......and of course spunky Ayu, who's all....Kanon's girls seem more extroverted than Clannad's, which is interesting. I wonder if it's because Kanon has outright romance options while Clannad's "routes" are more about solving their problems in a more platonic fashion?

So yeah, I do agree that there's a good amount of difference in them that means fans of one mightn't necessarily be fans of another. Myself I'd rather not make judgements on which is "better", but what I will say is I'm pleased that they managed to recycle this theme of "making memories" no less than THREE times, and still make it feel fresh each time they did!

That's true, isn't it? This explains a great deal, as I'm very much a romantic myself. The fantasy-esque, dreamlike feel of Kanon was half the fun, and as someone who spends a lot of his time in foreign, unfamiliar environments I could very much identify with the "new guy in an unfamiliar setting" theme.

Please let me know what you think of Kanon as you continue to watch.