How much interest is there in seeing some parts of Fuwanovel go open source?

Nayleen

What the topic says.

Curious if we'd get people interested in contributing that way, and in an easier fashion.

First thing to put up would be the New'n'Shiny™ VNDB Client, written in PHP. Massively over-abstracted, blown up and... actually quite neat. Still giving it the finishing touches, but still.

So?

It means Nayleen will make Fuwanovel's coding, i.e all the magic lines of text that make a website functional, open to people so they can edit and help as they wish.

This would mean that people can edit stuff on their own copy of Fuwanovel's webpage without having to discuss things with Nayleen and everyone can jump in and do their own edits to the code if they want to help and then share whatever changes they made.

Personally I think it's a good idea, though I have 0 coding experience so I can't help out with anything in particular, but I know how much progress can speed up when something is open source so I'm in support :)

It means Nayleen will make Fuwanovel's coding, i.e all the magic lines of text that make a website functional, open to people so they can edit and help as they wish.

This would mean that people can edit stuff on their own copy of Fuwanovel's webpage page without having to discuss things with Nayleen and everyone can jump in and do their own edits to the code if they want to help and then share whatever changes they made.

Incoming "Hello world" codes. 

I would only open source certain parts that make sense reusing, anyways.

One of the reasons why I thought the VNDB would be a good pick is that there currently is only one result VNDB PHP clients on Google, and I wanted to improve upon it a bit since I'm a hardcore fan of clean programming APIs.

Would also advise you to use less terminology to make it more understandable for lesser knowledgeable people in this field :)

I have no understanding of any of it and thus would never use any of it so no input. 

Thank you for your input. :sachi:

Like many before it, an important post influencing an important decision for Fuwanovel and all of us.

Well, I'd say do what you believe is best. I certainly can't provide any worthwhile opinions.

They can clone (create their own copy of the existing code) and modify it to their liking. They can create pull requests, asking if any changes they made could be merged (= incorporated) into the existing project. They can install it easily through a software called Composer, making it (almost) instantly available to them. Depending on the license chosen they can do pretty much however much they want with it, or not (there are some pretty restricting licenses out there).

All in all, open sourcing would allow more exposition, more and easier collaboration, and possibly just spurn some more motivation for me to work on things. :Kappa:

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, though admittedly I don't know that much about what it'd enable us to do either. How much access would we have to the database? I assume we wouldn't be able to access PMs and hidden boards and the like.

I'll never hand over any actual data. We even have an API that provides -some- stuff, but only in rudimentary form:

http://fuwanovel.net/api/v1/novels/17

But that's as far as I'll ever go. Putting parts of our code base online and making it open source would mean only certain parts that might be useful to the VN community as a whole would ever be released that way.