Monthly Fuwanovel Magazine Idea - Feedback

Q2vkcxJ.png

Edit: This is not a new idea per se, but rather an extension for condensing all of the current material on the site into a nice little quick read for Fuwa users on the go. A lot of people log in, check what they need to, and log off. This will hopefully allow those people to do the same thing, but open their eyes to a little more content around the site so they don't have to click additional links and browse all over the place. In addition, fun games and puzzles can be included too!

This is a suggestion. It might be a bad suggestion, but it is a suggestion. I love working on Photoshop, but more so, I love working on InDesign projects. I used to be a part of my school newspaper team back in high school, and some of the greatest moments were creating layout designs for our monthly issues. I really want to do this for Fuwanovel as well. I got this idea when I was creating the magazine layout for the musical band creation activity, and I thought why not do this for the actual site itself?

So here is my idea. I wanted to (be it alone or with other people) release a monthly Fuwanovel magazine that features all of the content from the previous month. The content in the spread can (but doesn't need to) include:

• Blog entry columns highlighting members and the work they post
  • Fuwazette, Fuwareview, and translation status updates
  • New VN releases and other pertinent information
  • A new member's spread. Check who registered for the site and posted an introduction in the last month
  • Creative interviews for contributing members of the site. Essentially, an extension of the community podcast episodes I host with people, but in written form for those who don't like speaking in person
  • A recap of threads members should check out from the site

Again, these are just some ideas we can post in the monthly magazine issue. As stated, each issue would be released every month. Since most of the content in the issue is already written, it would just be a matter of pasting articles inside and making a cool layout design. Not every single thing needs to be featured in every issue, but even a small 3-4 page spread would be a nice recap for new and existing members. Essentially, this can reduce the clutter of recent threads on the sidebar (if this is of interest to anyone) and gives everyone a chance to contribute should they feel like it. That being said, I want to know if this is something people would enjoy seeing. It would be a quick read each month and allows people on the go and lurkers of the site to get instant recaps of what is going on around the site.

So, what I would like is feedback. If feedback is generally positive, I would like to get the ball rolling on this for August if possible, meaning that I will post a separate thread allowing people to pitch font and image ideas for the spread (mainly an awesome cover for the magazine). Members like Emi and Beato would be great additions to this magazine (sorry for singling you out guys) because of their awesome work they are doing for the front site. This has a lot of potential for members who don't get a lot of time to check out all the areas of Fuwanovel. Instead of looking all over the forums for new material, everything listed above can be posted in an easy to find location.

Anyways, let me know!

Interest: 8/10. Sounds like a fun idea. Though, are you tryin' to usurp the Fuwafabulous blog or something?! :P

Skepticism: 1/10. Besides the potential 'You get recognized! And you get recognized!! Everybody gets recognized!!!' complaints(?), I have no complaints about this.

Opinion on Benefits: I don't think this will affect how cluttered 'Recent Topics' will be (this is a monthly entry, so it's not like ppl will refrain from making threads and twiddle their thumbs waiting for this right? xD) but I do think this can be a fun addition to the things Fuwanovel has to offer its visitors.

Not only do I think it's a great idea, but I had the same idea a little while ago. I didn't think it was worth pursuing with so little activity on the Fuwazette and review site though. Also the barrier, like always, is manpower. It's a fair bit of work. But anything that increases content, or spotlights content, will always be something I will support.

If you want any help, you know how to reach me :)

Isn't this the same as fabulous on fuwa, just with a pretty cover?

The only difference is that it's monthly but everything else aside from posting member intro threads were things we already did. I'm also not sure about intro threads, sounds like overkill when most members don't even stick around that much

Community spotlight articles have died out a bit but they can be revived at any time if someone takes the time to interview members.

It's not like i think it's a bad idea or anything, although I will say at this point we're recognizing and listings threads and people more than the amount of actual relevant content we're creating.

This sounds more like a project to do in conjunction with already existing site projects like the blog or fuwafabulous.

The only difference is that it's monthly but everything else aside from posting member intro threads were things we already did. I'm also not sure about intro threads, sounds like overkill when most members don't even stick around that much

Community spotlight articles have died out a bit but they can be revived at any time if someone takes the time to interview members.

It's not like i think it's a bad idea or anything, although I will say at this point we're recognizing and listings threads and people more than the amount of actual relevant content we're creating.

This sounds more like a project to do in conjunction with already existing site projects like the blog or fuwafabulous.

It is actually, but this will allow people who rarely visit Fuwanovel the chance to find all the information they are looking for in a quick 2-3 page spread. Instead of sifting through the Fuwazette, the review's pages, and other sections of the forums, they can easily find what they are looking for. This isn't really anything "new," it's just an extension for people on the go.

Not only do I think it's a great idea, but I had the same idea a little while ago. I didn't think it was worth pursuing with so little activity on the Fuwazette and review site though. Also the barrier, like always, is manpower. It's a fair bit of work. But anything that increases content, or spotlights content, will always be something I will support.

If you want any help, you know how to reach me :)

Not as much as you think. If we can consistently come up with template layouts for each page, it will only be a matter of dragging and dropping articles and images into their respective slots. A month is plenty of time to do this, so it's not like anyone would be in a rush. I could be wrong, but I wanted to at least try to see if this is doable and I think it would be an interesting creation for the site.

Again, this isn't anything new, it's just a small extension for people on the go. Hell, we can even include fun puzzles and games at the end for members of the site. Questions about VNs, members, or anything to wrack your brain a little.

I like the idea, and I might even subscribe to such content, but it sounds like a lot of work.  As long as I'm not the one doing it, that's not necessarily a negative.

I also think spotlighting new members for its own sake is pretty useless, since only a small few will actually stick around and do something noteworthy.

I like the idea, and I might even subscribe to such content, but it sounds like a lot of work.  As long as I'm not the one doing it, that's not necessarily a negative.

I also think spotlighting new members for its own sake is pretty useless, since only a small few will actually stick around and do something noteworthy.

I think the initial work comes from creating the layouts. Once I know where to post things, dragging and dropping text is not a difficult thing to do. Word wrapping more so. I just think that 1st month creation will be the killer.

This is awesome. I like it. It will really help people who don't have much time to visit fuwa to know about what's happening around. In addition to that , I have a problem of not really checking fuwareviews or fuwazette except once every blue moon due to lack of activity so if I just can see their work in a quick read, it would be great. Plus I bet the read will be awesome and thrilling with a good-looking layout and interesting fancy text. And since it's you doing it, I bet it will result in an awesome work since I trust in your creativity and commitment

Good luck man and sadly I don't really have any knowledge when it comes to such content but at least I will be participating with my feedback since that's the least I can do. Again good luck.

We can always push this to be more of a monthly recap thingymabob instead of a monthly recognition if there are any over-recognition concerns

Edit: tho sanah brings up a good point below about how that'll just be rehashing info for lurkers but I think even regular members can enjoy getting to see a prettied up monthly recap

Original material like this is what will keep regulars interested (and what will require the most investment of effort).  Otherwise, the audience you're trying to appeal to is essentially lurkers.  If you just rehash existing content for their benefit, your publication won't achieve any notoriety, and you'll end up discouraged.  Lurkers won't give you the appreciation you want and need to keep this going over the long term.

This sounds like a really interesting idea, I'd love to see it come to life.

One thing we could do is work with the Recognition Team to revive the "Member of the Month" thing that Fuwanovel was doing back when I first joined.

If you need an extra set of hands let me know, I'm not sure how much help I'll be but I'm more than happy to offer my assistance. 

Intro threads are overkill indeed, and I don't think people are really interested on who joined the forums until they actually interact with them. 

Community spotlights could be revived pretty easily I guess, as it's a monthly thing time shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Agreed with the bold parts, though I just started working on the first line with the rest of the team. Either way, I'd definitely be up to help with this.

Original material like this is what will keep regulars interested (and what will require the most investment of effort).  Otherwise, the audience you're trying to appeal to is essentially lurkers.  If you just rehash existing content for their benefit, your publication won't achieve any notoriety, and you'll end up discouraged.  Lurkers won't give you the appreciation you want and need to keep this going over the long term.

From my experience with the weekly posts, lurkers are probably the ones who use this kind of feature the most but I do get regulars dropping a comment or two from time to time. As for getting discouraged, I don't think it'll happen. This might be biased because I'd keep working on the weekly lists regardless of people showing appreciation for it or not but hey, I still get some "this is useful, thanks" and "didn't knew about x thing until I saw this, thanks for working on it" sometimes, which kinda helps you keep moving forward I guess. 

The original material is the tricky part and the most important one I think. As people said already, this is just the weekly lists from fuwafabulous on a bigger scale, so unless something is done exclusively for this, it'll get repetitive. Having the community spotlight back is one thing that could work here, not sure what else though.

This sounds like a really interesting idea, I'd love to see it come to life.

One thing we could do is work with the Recognition Team to revive the "Member of the Month" thing that Fuwanovel was doing back when I first joined.

If you need an extra set of hands let me know, I'm not sure how much help I'll be but I'm more than happy to offer my assistance. 

MotM is kinda weird to work with. We had it in the past and it didn't worked, not sure why since I wasn't that active anyway. I kinda like the idea but it might just not be viable.

i done a few magazines in my youtube time (they were popular back then), i can honestly tell you that is not JPG or PNG pictures. todays magazine require you to have basic understanding of PDF and how to add pictures. look at issuu.com it has examples of what a mazazine is really about.

http://issuu.com/

I know how to use InDesign quite well thanks.

I think it's nice. Though I do agree that the intro threads are kinda overkill.

I'm also curious on how it'll turn out to be. So I'll say why not give it a chance?

I'd also love it if the magazine could feature projects, both translations and OELVNs. That's something I have trouble keeping up with.

I remember a long time ago Tay proposed a very similar idea: Fuwanovel Lit Journal Vol I

For various reasons it failed, but I think such a thing could succeed now (although I place a huge emphasize on that 'could'). I think the reasons it failed before was:

1) poor coordination: People signed up and volunteered to write but didn't ever submit anything (I'm ashamed to admit I am one of those people. Infact, this post here, was an apology gift to Tay for my failure in the Lit Journal project. He has since forgiven me).

2) Simply not enough active members: Fuwa in 2013 was a lot smaller than Fuwa is now. So not only did this severely limit the amount of people who could submit something, but the target audience was also very small.

3) Stuff relating to 1 & 2: There were a lot of smaller issues that related to problems 1 and 2

The reasons I think such a project could conceivably succeed now are for these reasons:  

1) A decent sized community: There are way more active members now. Thus this completely solves the previous problem of not having enough people to participate (either as contributors or as an readers).

2) A wealth of topics and blogs that already exist: I feel that many great Blog posts go unrecognized. This would provide the perfect opportunity for those posts to receive more recognition. And furthermore, this means that you already have content to publish (you don't need to rely on 100% new content).

3) Better coordination: I feel Fuwanovel is way more coordinated than it was before. Thus making this an easier task to accomplish.  

Honestly a part of me is still a bit skeptical, as this is going to require a lot of hard work. Nonetheless, despite my skepticism, I do have hope and a strong desire to this project succeed.