Recommendation thread that hopefully isn't annoying!

voidpointer

You like happy endings and so do i. Stay far away from Eden*

I think Hoshizora no Memoria would suit you well. It's a pretty nice vn, and it pains me that i'll never get to read the fandisc :/

I think most vn's i've read which are supposed to be romantic have been pretty bad on that area. Way too often the protag is so dense that it's pitiful to read, and the confession and a h scene or two is more or less the last thing that happens during a route.

My Grisaia has been stalled by School Days HQ and Summer Days, but it's very different in feel from the anime.  The anime really seemed to push the bounds of things you would expect to happen in real life, while thus far in the VN it's been as normal as you could expect in a school with only a few girls for students.  Perhaps it will delve into the explosions, conspiracies, crazy actions scenes, etc. but it has not done much of that so far.

To your original question, I will recommend Crescendo.  It's not full of hentai scenes or flashy effects - it's a straight romance story done very well with the expected payoff if you make the right choices.  The story is good, the characters are interesting, it's well written, the art has a uique feel to it.  Everything you could want when you're looking for the exact opposite of a nukige that's only there to get your rocks off.    

What on earth are you recommending? Poor guy/girl wants romance. I haven't read crescendo, but the tags sure are heavy.

"Netorare type C", "Rape", "Unavoidable heroine rape", "Gang rape", "Group sex of one female and several males","Prostitute heroine", "Sex involving prostitution"
Edited by Stormwolf

The visual novel does a way better job with developing the romances with all 5 girls. I personally haven't played Meikyuu or Rakuen due to no english translation at the moment so I can't say anything about that. The VN does have quite a few h scenes, especially with Amane, but the VN is definitely worth playing because of the story and romantic development for each of the girls.

I love this series but don't like the harem ending of Rakuen.

You like happy endings and so do i. Stay far away from Eden*

I think Hoshizora no Memoria would suit you well. It's a pretty nice vn, and it pains me that i'll never get to read the fandisc :/

I think most vn's i've read which are supposed to be romantic have been pretty bad on that area. Way too often the protag is so dense that it's pitiful to read, and the confession and a h scene or two is more or less the last thing that happens during a route.

My Grisaia has been stalled by School Days HQ and Summer Days, but it's very different in feel from the anime.  The anime really seemed to push the bounds of things you would expect to happen in real life, while thus far in the VN it's been as normal as you could expect in a school with only a few girls for students.  Perhaps it will delve into the explosions, conspiracies, crazy actions scenes, etc. but it has not done much of that so far.

To your original question, I will recommend Crescendo.  It's not full of hentai scenes or flashy effects - it's a straight romance story done very well with the expected payoff if you make the right choices.  The story is good, the characters are interesting, it's well written, the art has a uique feel to it.  Everything you could want when you're looking for the exact opposite of a nukige that's only there to get your rocks off.    

What on earth are you recommending? Poor guy/girl wants romance. I haven't read crescendo, but the tags sure are heavy.

Hidden Content

The theme of Crescendo is quite heavy, but not very heart-breaking, even in bad endings.

It's a pity that English version of Crescendo do not include After Story. Alongside more content, Ayane(stepsister) has a overhauled portrait, which is much more beautiful!

One more thing to note about Crescendo is that the translation is not very good. Even though my Japanese is far from good, I can tell the difference from Japanese voice and English text.

Well, i know i won't read anything with the tag netorare. That crap really throws me off. Especially when it starts with heroine not wanting it and ends with heroine loving it, which is the usual case. I don't like rape either, but if it's done realistically and not to satisfy some rape fetish, then i can handle it. Netorare really shocked me the first time i saw it. I think berserk was the first. Rec was the second. And i've seen some other cases as well. Those are manga though. Luckily most translated vn's seem to be vanilla.

Eden spoiler:

Certainly it was a romantic scene. Both sitting shoulder to shoulder on top of a hill if i don't remember wrong, overlooking the plains and the lake, Sion was about to tell Ryo about something she wants to do, and died mid sentence. He went to dig her grave while feeling completely lost (first scene you see when starting the vn) and live on for who knows how long, in complete despair. The end.

I honestly think Sion was being really selfish when she said she didn't want Ryo to go after all. I hoped he would go, or at least take her with him and go. I knew what was coming, and was dreading it's arrival :(

Edited by Stormwolf

Are we even talking about the same title?  

https://vndb.org/v29

It's a mature title certainly (we are supposed to be adults by the time we play eroge so I may be making unfair assumptions) with heavy themes not meant for children, and it weaves together to tell complex romance stories.  Just like real romance novels.  Perhaps you should refrain from judging until you experience it for yourself.    

Just finished Katawa Shoujo, I did the routes in this order:

Hanako - Lilly - Emi

I loved all these 3, but Hanako had the most feels. Man, I REALLY loved this one!

I didn't bother with Shizune or Rins routes, their characters don't appeal to me much.

I've been recommended Little Busters but the fact that it doesn't have romance makes it less motivating. I played maybe 5 minutes of it and there's some silly Tekken looking guy? Hmmm, I don't know guys... I'll look through this thread for more recommendations already made and figure out what I want to start next.

Just finished Katawa Shoujo, I did the routes in this order:

Hanako - Lilly - Emi

I loved all these 3, but Hanako had the most feels. Man, I REALLY loved this one!

I didn't bother with Shizune or Rins routes, their characters don't appeal to me much.

I've been recommended Little Busters but the fact that it doesn't have romance makes it less motivating. I played maybe 5 minutes of it and there's some silly Tekken looking guy? Hmmm, I don't know guys... I'll look through this thread for more recommendations already made and figure out what I want to start next.

Little Busters doesn't have romance? Where did you hear that? It definitively does. Even if it does not really show up until you enter a route, but that is common for slice of life VNs. 

If you do decide to read it I have a tip for you

Play the last route twice, especially if you like Rin

If you're looking for feel good stuff, I have to counter anyone who recommends key games to you - Clannad, Little Busters, Air, ect.  They're great games, but man you just feel depressed afterwards... they're called nakige for a reason.

No, if you're looking for more simple lighthearted romance go for games like Princess Evangile or Maji de Watashi ni Koishinisai!  They're pretty fast reads that are good for new readers.

If you're really feeling brave there's any number of untranslated games I could recommend as well, but making the step into reading full Japanese is a big one.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Hoshizora no Memoria (all routes) and man I gotta say it was amazing. I think this VN hits my #1 spot, with Katawa Shoujo in the #2 spot.

Asuho was the best!!

DAMMIT CHINAMI!

Wondering what I'll try next...

I remember people hating Chinami, I would just adore her whenever hearing "Onii-chan! Onii-chan! Onii-chan!". Komomo my favorite character though.

If you can pick a copy of Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, go there.

Just finished Hoshizora no Memoria (all routes) and man I gotta say it was amazing. I think this VN hits my #1 spot, with Katawa Shoujo in the #2 spot.

Asuho was the best!!

DAMMIT CHINAMI!

Wondering what I'll try next...

I remember people hating Chinami, I would just adore her whenever hearing "Onii-chan! Onii-chan! Onii-chan!". Komomo my favorite character though.

If you can pick a copy of Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, go there.

I grabbed Sharin, started on it. I'm only a few hours in so far. The way the routes work seems a little weird. What did you like about this one? Looks like romance with maybe some mystery thrown in? Do the routes have interesting backstories?

I grabbed Sharin, started on it. I'm only a few hours in so far. The way the routes work seems a little weird. What did you like about this one? Looks like romance with maybe some mystery thrown in? Do the routes have interesting backstories?

I don't really know how far you have gotten yet but Sharin no Kuni is a visual novel that deals with the growth of the characters and how they confront their own issues. There is a bit of romance but it mainly focuses around questioning of values of different things such as usage of time, independence and love.

I liked this game for the following points

1. The protagonist

Morita Kenichi is a very crazy and unique individual that seems to be cold and calculative but at the same time inexperienced and naive. Overall, we have a very funny and hopeless individual that is still able to take action according to what he believes. He is an inspiring character because even though he considers himself weak and a coward, he still has the courage to step forward to face that weakness.

2. Character growth and development

The way in which they face their problems and reach a resolution was truly well done. Each character has their own weakness that they have already come to accept but they are pulled out of that complacency to once and for all resolve that weakness.

3. Society incarnate, Houzuki Masaomi

The way in which Houzuki Masaomi was depicted was really badass. I mean he just shoots one of the cadets in one of the opening scenes for being late! He truly stands as the antagonist, always showing the most efficient and cold way of resolving issues. His ideals stand in direct confrontation with the protagonist which gives rise to the conflict in the story. I never really understood what he was thinking even after finishing the visual novel and it was really when I played the sequel that I understood his true character.

I don't really know how far you have gotten yet but Sharin no Kuni is a visual novel that deals with the growth of the characters and how they confront their own issues. There is a bit of romance but it mainly focuses around questioning of values of different things such as usage of time, independence and love.

I liked this game for the following points

1. The protagonist

Morita Kenichi is a very crazy and unique individual that seems to be cold and calculative but at the same time inexperienced and naive. Overall, we have a very funny and hopeless individual that is still able to take action according to what he believes. He is an inspiring character because even though he considers himself weak and a coward, he still has the courage to step forward to face that weakness.

2. Character growth and development

The way in which they face their problems and reach a resolution was truly well done. Each character has their own weakness that they have already come to accept but they are pulled out of that complacency to once and for all resolve that weakness.

3. Society incarnate, Houzuki Masaomi

The way in which Houzuki Masaomi was depicted was really badass. I mean he just shoots one of the cadets in one of the opening scenes for being late! He truly stands as the antagonist, always showing the most efficient and cold way of resolving issues. His ideals stand in direct confrontation with the protagonist which gives rise to the conflict in the story. I never really understood what he was thinking even after finishing the visual novel and it was really when I played the sequel that I understood his true character.

Houzuki and Kenichi is by far the best reasons to play this VN. (also another character I dont want to mention just yet).

The 2 of them are my favorite antagonists/protagonist so far.

Also touka is the only tsundere that I actually fell in love with as a character

Only a "bit" of romance? That sounds a little disappointing, given how it just seems like it will have strong romance, since there are 3 girls and you go through them one at a time. I'm starting chapter 2 at the moment, but I really hope there is more romance than you indicate. Character development is great but I just don't see the point in "being friends" with each of the girls, especially since there are choices for each of them and they seem to have a love interest in the protagonist so far.

This doesn't seem like a super long VN so I'll eventually see for myself I guess.

I think that the romance in SnK, while not being the main focus is really well done and cute, it feels natural you know? Also I know this is subjective but I just came to love all the characters.

But as SnK is my second favorite VN of all time besides of saya no uta I will really encourage you to keep playing it, its a feels ride I can promise you that.

Only a "bit" of romance? That sounds a little disappointing, given how it just seems like it will have strong romance, since there are 3 girls and you go through them one at a time. I'm starting chapter 2 at the moment, but I really hope there is more romance than you indicate. Character development is great but I just don't see the point in "being friends" with each of the girls, especially since there are choices for each of them and they seem to have a love interest in the protagonist so far.

This doesn't seem like a super long VN so I'll eventually see for myself I guess.

When I said it only had a bit of romance, I just meant that it puts less focus on the romance part of it compared to other visual novels. Sorry if that sounded misleading.

There definitely is romance and I don't think you will be disappointed in the way that it is presented. It was just that the romance plays a secondary role because it just has such a driving plot with great characters. There are just so many other awesome things in this visual novel besides the romance and that is what made me like this visual novel.

Yeah, there is most definitely romance, and i also recommend reading the fandisc sequels for the routes for some extra fluff if it wasn't enough. One route was perhaps one of the best routes i've ever read and also really moving. You really should play this.

Edited by Stormwolf

Houzuki is in my opinion one of the best villain ever created. 

SnK tells a story of society against individuals, a story with many shades of grey (not referring to the shitty novels here XD). The story is in fact so good that the romance, even while being done very well, is sort of less relevant. 

Also one of my favorite CG ever is in this visual novel (won't spoiler though, but it's a CG with natsumi towards the end of the game).

So I have finished Sharin no Kuni. Definitely loved the story. So far I've only done Natsumi's route, but honestly the "epilogues" are the only things that seem specific to any route, and they are super short (seems like they are there just for the H scene).

@Overloard87: Which CG specifically with Natsumi is your fav? Is it the one at the very end? I haven't seen anything that stands out as super special / amazing, but the CGs are all very well done regardless.

Although I loved the story, it's got less romance in it than I prefer. Definitely got feels in all main 3 girls' routes. I plan to finish out all the other routes, doing the "special heroine" last. Lots of great character development. The protagonist is hilarious and I love his personality. Archetypes were really well done, usually most tsundere's are terrible, but Touka is one of the good ones!

Looks like I'll be needing the recommendations to keep flowing. At this point I find I'm enjoying everything, as long as a major focal point is romance. Unfortunately the ones that are primarily comedy based so far I haven't been able to get into (mentioned this before). I do enjoy the more serious stories, with romance, and humor thrown in at random points is perfectly fine (just I don't enjoy common routes that are full of nothing but slapstick humor and people acting stupid / unserious all the time).

SakuSaku translation is getting real close to being finished. I am going to pick that one up as soon as it's ready.

So I have finished Sharin no Kuni. Definitely loved the story. So far I've only done Natsumi's route, but honestly the "epilogues" are the only things that seem specific to any route, and they are super short (seems like they are there just for the H scene).

@Overloard87: Which CG specifically with Natsumi is your fav? Is it the one at the very end? I haven't seen anything that stands out as super special / amazing, but the CGs are all very well done regardless.

Although I loved the story, it's got less romance in it than I prefer. Definitely got feels in all main 3 girls' routes. I plan to finish out all the other routes, doing the "special heroine" last. Lots of great character development. The protagonist is hilarious and I love his personality. Archetypes were really well done, usually most tsundere's are terrible, but Touka is one of the good ones!

Looks like I'll be needing the recommendations to keep flowing. At this point I find I'm enjoying everything, as long as a major focal point is romance. Unfortunately the ones that are primarily comedy based so far I haven't been able to get into (mentioned this before). I do enjoy the more serious stories, with romance, and humor thrown in at random points is perfectly fine (just I don't enjoy common routes that are full of nothing but slapstick humor and people acting stupid / unserious all the time).

SakuSaku translation is getting real close to being finished. I am going to pick that one up as soon as it's ready.

My favorite CG from the game (and one of my favorites ever). Don't know exactly why it struck me so much, possibly because of the moment it happened.

http://g.e-hentai.org/s/7e3ff7a33e/219627-16     NSFW!!!!! The CG per se it's not hentai, but the site is. Could not find it anywhere else, unfortunately.

Edited by Overlord87

voidpointer, you should create a VNDB page with what you've read, what you stalled or dropped, and a rough rating for each. It makes it much easier for people to quickly come up with targeted recommendations.

Given it seems you're willing to try broader categories of games, as long as they have a strong romance element and aren't overly comedic (seems like a largely comedic common route is annoying for you), might I suggest Comyu? Its qualities are:

- primarily a chuunige

- with definite romance elements

- has H scenes, but not an overabundance of them thrown at you at once

- has a largely serious common route

- has some comedic moments and characters who are mostly comic relief, to ease the otherwise fairly high tension of the game, but these are definitely not the focus

It's also just an excellent-quality game: plot, art, music, etc., are all top-notch.

Two things to be aware of, if you do look at Comyu: the route order is almost entirely fixed (the first heroine route you play will definitely be a particular heroine; same with the second). It's possible to make choices that send you to a bad end (though this is actually pretty difficult, to be honest, and not frustrating when it happens due to the game's robust scene selection options), and it's possible to make choices that send you to a heroine route you've already seen (actually pretty easy to do accidentally, sometimes), but otherwise you'll always end up in the next ordered heroine route. I think heroines 3 and 4 maybe can be reversed, but heroine 4 is mostly a pressure release before the big ending anyway. The reason for the fixed order becomes clear as you play later routes - it's just a plot thing.

The reason I'm suggesting a chuuni here, although you haven't asked for one, is that I'm going through my own past VNs, and I'm finding that it's hard for me to find a good romance-heavy VN with fairly upbeat endings that doesn't have a ton of joking and playing around during the common route (like, say, Majikoi), which seems to be a pretty big turn-off for you. Chuuni has a tendency to be more serious, so a chuuni with a solid romance element seemed like a good way to go.

For the same reason, I'd also suggest Fate/Stay Night, although that one's definitely on the darker side at times. It's another excellent (chuuni) game, though, and I think it fits your qualifications pretty well. I feel like you would find its Heavens Feel route rough and maybe a bit too unpleasant to enjoy, but I bet the other two routes would go over very well with you.