Request and Poll: Ability to delete posts

Deleting posts  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the ability to delete your own posts?

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd like to ability to delete my own posts so I don't have to rely on moderators to prune double posts.  Sometimes there's good reasons to double post (like to notify someone who read the thread previously that you added new content), but it's useful to be able to delete the double post afterward and edit it back into the post above.

If you're worried about spam or abuse, restrict the privilege by user rank (i.e., when you achieve a certain number of posts or likes).  Regular members are the only ones who really need this anyway.

Sometimes there's good reasons to double post (like to notify someone who read the thread previously that you added new content),

In my experience with forums, it's generally regarded as a high privilege, one not freely granted to new members and such, to be able to bump topics, and that appears to me what this basically is. I have no strong opinion on the matter in general, however.

But this is a multiple choice poll so I'm going to vote all three options. :sleep:

In my experience with forums, it's generally regarded as a high privilege, one not freely granted to new members and such, to be able to bump topics, and that appears to me what this basically is. I have no strong opinion on the matter in general, however.

My double posts are usually within a few hours of each other.  It has nothing to do with "bumping" really.

There exists a legendary being who can do just that ^_^. (Not talking about mods btw). #Privileges

It would be nice to give the public freedom to delete their own posts, however I abide by Flutterz' statement :Kappa:

Edit: on a more serious note, though, I'm probably on the 'Sure, why not' side of this proposal.

I can just imagine you writing a semi-long post with the reasons behind saying no, but then just deleting it and going with the snark.

Well, you know, since I'm in the middle of watching idol anime I figured "eh fuck it this'll do".

Yes, I am publictly stating anime for kids is more important than this.

Not a good idea, if you don't want a post just ask a mod to delete it, deleting comments and post will only create confusion in the community and I don't know about ipb but most of the forums I used (vbulletin, smf and xen) when a user erase a post it doesn't just go away it just kinda stays there not visible for the normal users, a mod or admin needs to confirm the deleted post afterwards

If the restriction to regular members can be implemented then I don't see a reason not too.

FYI the reason why it's always been disabled is because it creates security loopholes. At least it was the last time someone asked for it.