The ToHeart2 discussion thread

TexasDice

Translation Project: (Translation:100.0% TLC: Work in progess) -> http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/10250-toheart2-translation-project-beta4-patch-available/

6855.jpg

Following her graduation from middle school, Konomi Yuzuhara enters the same high school as Takāki Kono, her childhood friend. As the new school year begins, they meet their childhood friend Tamaki Kosaka, as well as many new accquaintances. Unbeknownst to the group, their encounters with each other will soon lead to many memorable adventures. 

VNDB

I noticed a slight amount of non-translation and non-walkthrough related posts inside their respective threads, so I thought having a discussion thread would be nice to keep everything clean and tidy.

I'm not through every route yet, but I guess it's alright overall. The art is super cute, most of the girls are super cute and I still can't believe these visuals are from 2005.

Here's the thread, so feel free to have, exchange and yell out opinions.

question:

1. why they translated this instead of to heart ?

2. what will i/they miss if they play/read it without playing/reading to heart?

3. what is the difference between to heart 2 and to heart 2 x rated?

thanks and sorry for the stupid question and english!

question:

1. why they translated this instead of to heart ?

2. what will i/they miss if they play/read it without playing/reading to heart?

3. what is the difference between to heart 2 and to heart 2 x rated?

thanks and sorry for the stupid question and english!

So far I've read Konomi, Yuma, Karin and Tamaki. Konomi was okay, Yuma had a bad final stretch and Karin and Tamaki were both amazing.

I dropped Manaka, (because nothing happened after three hours and I got bored,) and paused Yuuki and the twins, due to previous technical difficulties. But before picking them up again, I have to \o/ first.

In Japan, Manaka and Tamaki were the most popular characters.

So far I've read Konomi, Yuma, Karin and Tamaki. Konomi was okay, Yuma had a bad final stretch and Karin and Tamaki were both amazing.

I dropped Manaka, (because nothing happened after three hours and I got bored,) and paused Yuuki and the twins, due to previous technical difficulties. But before picking them up again, I have to \o/ first.

Konomi's route was cute to me but hard to get particularly excited by her. There is appeal to the childhood friend winning though :)

Yuma's route I really enjoyed because she really did do a great tsundere transformation.

I don't recall a bad final stretch for her but it has been many years.

She's my second favourite.

Karin's route was fun overall so I enjoyed playing her.

Tamaki is a little too overbearing for me to like her much, but she was kinda hot in other ways which made up for it ;).

I think those who had a strong affinity for older sister types really enjoy her more which is common in the East but not so much for us in the West.

Manaka, despite being a crowd favourite, was indeed plagued by having the most boring route. She was sweet enough though.

Just how many days do I have to read about stacking bookshelves?

\o/ Enough said.

Finished it. Good game aside from Sasara's route being very frustrating to play through. 

Indeed. I know what they were trying to do in terms of emphasise an aspect of the protagonist's character, but come on... I wanted to kill the protagonist and had trouble sleeping while I was translating the more frustrating parts of this route. Thank goodness Sasara herself was so sweet that I just had to have her.

I also didn't find her epilogue as happy as I'd have liked.

I had quite a few people PM me asking me if I was going to do TH2 AnotherDays after ToHeart2. I had said the sequel was a load of garbage but I had given it up in disgust when I started playing it years ago so never really played the whole thing through. I tried it again now and I remember why I said that. I tried playing Ma-ryan's route and it was just nonsense from one end to the other and I gave up skipping after half way through. It just drags on and on and on and there's no character development or anything. It was somewhat redeemed by an interesting H scene. I've started some of the other routes and to my surprise they're quite engaging. It seems what was wrong with the game was the rehashing of characters that were already in the first, and perhaps Ma-ryan's route being so bad. Having said that there's no way I'd translate this game for one major reason - wtf is up with them adding a loli character to a mainstream game? That would never make it to an official release in the west and would prevent me ever wanting to try and translate the whole thing. However if you know Japanese and you're looking to do something after TH2 and feel empty, it's quite okay to play selective character routes or mash the skip button.

I'm done with Ruu. Verdict:

Ruu! \o/

Ruu \o/

The epilogue was pointlessly cryptic and I don't think it needed to be. That I disliked.

It seemed pretty clear to me that she was made into a human so completely that they even gave her a pseudo-human identity based on what you reported back to Karin early on in her story and even made her believe that was her full identity.

I know, but I still thought it was dumb. It's a 2-minutes epilogue scene, just make it "I'm back!" -> "Yay!" -> the end.

Agreed, I would have preferred that too, but it's pretty standard for there to always be a slightly sombre note to epilogues in VNs - and I don't really know why it's that way but I'm always wary of epilogues because of it. I don't particularly like it, mind you, but I've seen a billion times worse.

I had quite a few people PM me asking me if I was going to do TH2 AnotherDays after ToHeart2. I had said the sequel was a load of garbage but I had given it up in disgust when I started playing it years ago so never really played the whole thing through. I tried it again now and I remember why I said that. I tried playing Ma-ryan's route and it was just nonsense from one end to the other and I gave up skipping after half way through. It just drags on and on and on and there's no character development or anything. It was somewhat redeemed by an interesting H scene. I've started some of the other routes and to my surprise they're quite engaging. It seems what was wrong with the game was the rehashing of characters that were already in the first, and perhaps Ma-ryan's route being so bad. Having said that there's no way I'd translate this game for one major reason - wtf is up with them adding a loli character to a mainstream game? That would never make it to an official release in the west and would prevent me ever wanting to try and translate the whole thing. However if you know Japanese and you're looking to do something after TH2 and feel empty, it's quite okay to play selective character routes or mash the skip button.

Final verdict on this sequel

4 of the main routes are good additions to the story - Charu, Yocchi, Harumi and Silfa.

Ma-ryan's route was just hours and hours of her nonsense which is extremely annoying to me and I gave up half way through.

Haruka's route was a waste of time and only mildly amusing for a while but I made it to the end cos I like her.

Dunno about the loli route at all but it's my understanding there's no H in it.

The Konomi x Tama-nee route was rather stupid but the extremely long over the top H scene at the end was much more arousing than the minimal H in other routes.

Ikuno's story was told from her perspective which was interesting for a while but I didn't enjoy it at all.

4 of the main routes had happy endings which was a real bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Charu is Konomi's friend from the first - Kuudere that wants secretly to be a princess.

Yocchi is Konomi's friend from the first - Tsundere that tries to set up Takaaki with Konomi.

Harumi Deredere robot maid that chases Takaaki around that was Mi-chan the teddy in the first.

Silfa the Tsundere flawed robot maid that's sent to Takaaki for training under duress.

Ma-ryan the moron from the 1st tries to take over the world and has Takaaki as an unwilling accomplice.

Haruka is Konomi's mother that Takaaki falls for without much story.

Nanako is the primary school girl from Ruuko's route in the 1st that confesses to him right at the start.

Ikuno story - unlocked as a story from Manaka's sister's perspective when she gets discharged from hospital as a sequel to the Manaka ending to the first. Least unhappy ending is the one without the H...

Konomi & Tamaki story - unlocked as a sequel to turning down Konomi as just a childhood friend in the 1st only to have both girls chase him.

I can give more info on this game if people are interested but there's no way I'm going to translate it as an amateur project.

The original TH2 has more story telling, more plot twists, more in game choices, more variation in the girls with complete routes and is generally a better VN all round, but AnotherDays is a nice addition to the TH2 universe if you just need more of it. You have to play TH2 before AnotherDays as there are a lot of references to the story in the 1st and it's assumed you have done all the routes there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my first route - Sasara.

This guy was goddamn annoying and unlikeable for over( I don't think that even one guy like that exists in this world O.O) 1/2 of the route...This is probably the first time I've hated main protagonist so much. And the route ending was just very unsatisfying. May I ask, are the other routes like this? 

I'm thinking about starting Tama's route, but with Sasara's impressions...

@edit

And yeah, both common and Sasara's had huge amount of errors, spelling, grammar etc.

And what about cookies Sasara's asked Takaaki to bake? o.O Did he just ignored her request?

@edit2

Yeah, I guess I'll just go with Tama for now(Momoyo v0.1?:D) But if it'll be as bad as Sasara's I'll drop this VN... 

Chris, yeah protagonist got better in the second half, but still his behavior in first part was unreal + unbelievably annoying. Cannot reccomend Sasara's route..

This guy was goddamn annoying and unlikeable for over( I don't think that even one guy like that exists in this world O.O) 1/2 of the route...This is probably the first time I've hated main protagonist so much. And the route ending was just very unsatisfying. May I ask, are the other routes like this? 

I've read the same thing from other people who played Sasara's route.

Although I haven't played her route I don't believe all the routes are like that. I played Ruuko's route (or lucy if you want to call her that) and the protagonist didn't do anything particularly annoying, in fact he seemed to put quite a bit of effort into (minor spoiler)

finding the aliens for Ruuko

@edit

And yeah, both common and Sasara's had huge amount of errors, spelling, grammar etc.

And what about cookies Sasara's asked Takaaki to bake? o.O Did he just ignored her request?

@edit2

Yeah, I guess I'll just go with Tama for now(Momoyo v0.1? :D) But if it'll be as bad as Sasara's I'll drop this VN... 

Chris, yeah protagonist got better in the second half, but still his behavior in first part was unreal + unbelievably annoying. Cannot reccomend Sasara's route..

I did say when I finished translating it that in Sasara's route the protagonist was so annoying that I had trouble sleeping at night till I worked my way through the worst of it. They were so keen to emphasise a particular quality of his personality that they completely forgot they'd done it enough for a few days that they kept doing it for something like a month of game time simply to make the route last longer than anyone else. At that point I wanted to fly over to Japan and kill the writer who came up with it. As for the epilogue

I don't know why the hell they ended it on such a sombre note.

No, the protagonist is NOTHING like that in any of the other routes. He shares the same personality traits at times but they don't labour on it so much. The most he behaves like that again is:

in Tama's route where he keeps ignoring that she is actually in love with him and thinking she's just playing with him..

but even then nothing like the magnitude he did with Sasara.

You're in luck as the rest of the routes are markedly more upbeat than that.

As for errors, typos, grammar problems... that's what happens if you play the raw 1st pass translation. That's why I posted this thread:

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/10878-poll-do-you-play-pre-release-patches-or-final-versions/

For fear that people would judge my project on the 1st pass translation only. There is a truckload of editing going on and there hasn't even been a translate check done on it.

Yeah, Tama route was way better than Sasara's ...

Ending

Still I had a chill when she said at the end that she's gonna move back to girls academy, I was like oh god, Sasara's again?

Haven't seen Kusakabe Yuki at all in the game(hidden heroine?) guess I'll try to do her route next?

REMINDER Don't go with Sasara's route first, people, don't go with this route at all(that would be for the best)... I'm still regreting going through this -.-

for yuki you simply have to finish at least 2 heroines, so that at one night at home the option pops out, if you´d like to go to school for fetching your notebook, or sleeping. pick the first one & then again & again...

Funny you interpreted it that way. By the way, quoting bluemist's interpretation of the end when he didn't understand Japanese is a wildly inaccurate way to interpret the ending a different way just because you want it to be different. Please don't compare an actually translated passage to someone who played the game without knowing Japanese.

First of all, how accurate is the translation? I would be offended by that question if it wasn't for the fact that I never really said I was an exceptional translator or anything. But I translated the whole game, barring Yuuki's route, and Ruuko's route was done last when my Japanese had become much stronger, so the translation of that route is the least inaccurate. The rest I'll put in spoiler tags.

Ruuko says numerous times after she starts falling for the protagonist that she'll become Uu if she has to.The punishment described in Ruuko's terms is that she can no longer be Ruu. It's my interpretation that Ruuko is mostly definitely an alien and because she disobeyed the laws of Ruu for a good act, she was both punished and rewarded for it, simply by stripping her Ruu powers, and then adopting the artificial story that the protagonist himself invented for her when reporting to Karin. There is no suggestion that Ruuko forgets being an alien - the ONLY thing she says she doesn't remember is her name. She says she remembers all of it. My belief is that her conversion to human is so complete that they even make her believe she has a new identity. The wording of "perhaps I don't remember" by Ruuko herself is maybe not strong enough and I've been meaning to reword it. 

I suspect you're trying to read too hard into the wording of the rest, but here goes...

As for your questions, of course Takaaki will feel despondent if there's any doubt this is Ruuko. The wording of "even Ruuko notices" simply means its fully readable on his expression. Doesn't matter that she's the only other person there.

Clouded memory and reality. Reality is now and is unmistakeable. As time has passed from when he was with Ruuko, the reason he calls it clouded reality is he is doubting his own memories given that she's reappeared with an apparently different identity. This is intensified by the fact that the people around him seem to have more or less forgotten the events.

"With such a certain memory (?), it may have suddenly become unclear, but the girl before me is absolutely the girl who called herself 'Ruuko'. There's a lot I lost (?). But I'm still glad. As the most important thing I hold in my hands. Compared to that, dreams and memories (?) are meaningless."

He means he was absolutely certain of his memories, and he is absolutely certain that this IS Ruuko, but for some reason the current reality isn't matching his memory which is why he says it's unclear - he's doubting his own memories. What he's lost is the certainty he had in his memories, but given that Ruuko is right there for him in reality, it doesn't matter whether his memories were real or not and whether he questions them or not, only that the girl he loves is there.

The description of the various events that occur when she does use her power leave no do doubt that if his memory is correct, it is absolutely impossible without some alien power on her part, and the mechanism of her leaving is not remotely interpretable as anything "normal" - that's the most convincing moment that she's not human in my opinion.

What's left for the reader to decide then, is whether you believe she was an alien, converted to human, and has returned as such, or the whole story is completely jumbled in the protagonist's memory and the only thing he doesn't doubt is that they loved each other and she has returned. There's hardly anything to support the latter interpretation while the rest supports the former.

Personally I would have preferred the lack of a slight sombre note to the ending, but that seems routine on many visual novels instead of it being 100% happy. I've tried to reword her ending numerous times to make it sound less sombre, but what is actually tugging at your heart strings is their damn choice of music which never changes back to upbeat happy end music. You have no idea how important that choice of music is, since you'll have associated your own emotions with previous use of that music, as well as the fact that it's sombre in its own right.

At the very least, you have to admit that Ruuko's route has an awful lot of intrigue :)

This discussion should ideally go in the To Heart 2 discussion rather than the project thread by the way.

Heh, glad to see Ruuko's route had as big an impact on other people too... Unfortunately if you've done her route before other routes, you'll find the other routes lacking since it holds the most intrigue and is the least worst translated. If you didn't like Ruuko's ending you're gonna really struggle with (spoiler you may not know yet):

Sasara's ending.