Ikusa Megami Zero: A project?

http://vndb.org/v768

I don't know how many people know the Ikusa Megami series in general, but those who do will probably remember this game as the best one ever produced by Eushully. The battle system is pretty straight rpg fare, though the visual aspects are kind of weird. Before Kamidori, Eushully was known for combining excellent writing with playable, easy-to-use battle systems (well, they are still known for the latter), and Ikusa Megami Zero is the best of those. The Ikusa Megami setting is their longest-running setting and is a fascinating world where science has been soundly rejected in favor of magic, where demons and dragons roam, and where gods born of human faith are worshiped devotedly by legions of humans who inevitably seem to 'misunderstand' their gods' intentions and desires. Ikusa Megami Zero is the beginning of the story that ends in the earlier games Ikusa Megami and Ikusa Megami II and it tells the beginning of the journey for Serika, a young swordsman in service to the temple of the god of lightning. While I say 'the beginning' the actual story spans several thousand years and a pretty grand set of events that is fascinating to read.

Now, what all this is about is that I was considering reviving the tl project for this game. While I could secretly go around recruiting people for it and begging them for help, I figured I'd go ahead and write an appeal on this site for anyone who is interested.

First

Translators. I need one translator for the interface and the item/weapon/armor/skill names. I'll also need as many other tls as I can get to accelerate the raw translation of the story. I'm not going to be picky. If you can translate, I'll take you in. I'll also need a minimum of three editors. This game is LONG, and it is also text-heavy. One editor will without a doubt give up and if they do so it will completely screw things for the next stage, tlc. I need at least one other tlc besides myself, preferably someone who is used to figuring out complex Japanese sentences and who possesses college-level english writing skills (so as in order to keep the results from sounding awkward). Last of all, I'll need a hacker to repack the game files and create a usable patch, as well as a number of testers to see if the game works well with the patch.

I'm also looking for someone else to take over leadership of the project - someone with the patience to manage a bunch of fantls and editors with all their associated problems. To be blunt, if I want to tl, I won't have time to manage the people. So, more than anything else I want to grab someone with enthusiasm and organizational skills to manage me and anyone else who joins the project.

Needed members:

Interface Translator: 0/1

Translators: 2/??

Editors: 1/3

Translation-checkers: 1/2? (could always use more but I'll want at least one other)

Hacker: 1/1

Project Leader: 1/1

Recruited members:

Interface TL:

Translators: Clephas, Basaka

Editors: KaiserD

Translation-checkers: Clephas

Hacker: RusAnon

Project Leader: Ikaruga

Post here if you are interested. Make sure you have at least three hours a week to tl if you are a translator, though I won't be hurt if you do more. For the Project Leader, it is necessary that he/she not be a translator or editor, as both these roles are too time-consuming to allow for management. Once the leader volunteers, he/she will be in charge of recruiting and replacement of members (including himself) as well as making sure everyone is in communication. Ideally, if we all die, we can all be replaced and eventually produce a finished product. In other words, this will be a project that doesn't rely on the charisma of a single group of people but a project that will hopefully take on a life of its own. lol

Also: Until the project is complete, lets avoid making a big deal out of it. I have no desire to get hit with a C&D and have half the people on the project drop out because we just had to advertise our efforts on a blog or other site.

KplK30J.jpg

CP2xpf7.jpg

Ooooh, thats a great game to translate, indeed. I'm in for hacker position, will push other stuff if needed to get this done.

However, I wonder if its possible to salvage any data/tools from that dropped project. Anyone knows ViruX/Tinfoil's contacts?

For the repacking, I dunno. However, an extraction tool exists on Asmodean's page: http://asmodean.reverse.net/pages/exs4alf.html

First rule when looking for unpacking tools... Asmodean's page, lol.

I have contacted Avisch, asking him for the stuff he's already tled. However, I've yet to receive a reply.

Saw this VN way back when I was browsing vndb, and I thought it looked awesome from just the preview. I'm all for jumping on board for this. I can be an Editor or possibly the Project Lead. Whichever you feel is needed more urgently.

• 3 weeks later...

im an image editor so if you need someone to help with the images im happy to help

There is already someone who promised to help with images, but I'm not sure he will actually do it. We will have it sorted by the end of week, so I'll PM you later.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about that. I'm in a situation where I can only be connected to the internet while not working, due to contractual issues involving nondisclosure agreements. Making it worse is that I'm working the equivalent of 70 hours a week right now and am usually so completely exhausted when I'm done that reconnecting to the internet - since I have to literally remove my network card from my pc every time I start work - is just too much trouble unless I have seven or eight hours free. Not to mention I now have a lovely piece of legal spyware on my computer telling my employers if I connect to the net, and if I remove it I am in breach of contract, a situation that is quite unpleasant in general.

Edit: This is my first day off since May 5th, and I've been sleeping more or less throughout the day, waking only to drink water and to recover from extended internet withdrawal. The only times I was even able to play games over the last month or so was when I ate and the last half hour or so before I went to sleep. Not being able to skim internet news nearly drove me insane...

What a nostalgic game. I first tired playing it almost 5 years ago, but back then I couldn't read Japanese at all and was unable to finish. Nevertheless, the RPG element and visuals alone were enough to have left an impression. Half a year ago my Japanese got to a point where I could finally complete it, and I completely agree with Clephas that the story is amazing.

I'm totally down for joining the project as a TL and/or TLC.

Sorry about that. I'm in a situation where I can only be connected to the internet while not working, due to contractual issues involving nondisclosure agreements. Making it worse is that I'm working the equivalent of 70 hours a week right now and am usually so completely exhausted when I'm done that reconnecting to the internet - since I have to literally remove my network card from my pc every time I start work - is just too much trouble unless I have seven or eight hours free. Not to mention I now have a lovely piece of legal spyware on my computer telling my employers if I connect to the net, and if I remove it I am in breach of contract, a situation that is quite unpleasant in general.

Edit: This is my first day off since May 5th, and I've been sleeping more or less throughout the day, waking only to drink water and to recover from extended internet withdrawal. The only times I was even able to play games over the last month or so was when I ate and the last half hour or so before I went to sleep. Not being able to skim internet news nearly drove me insane...

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare.

Did you happen to receive the PM I sent? I'm still interested in working as an editor if you need one.

Hi everyone. Ikusa Megami Zero is one of my favourite Vn. I want to help to translate the story if possible. My japanese is average. My vacation are starting in July so i don't have too much thing to do. I think i can help like 3 or 4 month and if i'm not to busy i can continue. I'm not a native english speaker so someone have to check everything :). So if you guys are still needing a TL help I'm here :).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I'm interested in helping out with this Vn my Japanese is very poor (just started to learn) but I am a native English speaker, so I guess that it's possible for me to be a translator-checker. I might be able to be an editor depending what required of it so I hope to help you guys out

lol, just to be clear, translation-checkers have to be even or BETTER than the raw translators. There isn't any point in having someone less skilled go over a translation looking for mistakes. If your Japanese skills are inadequate, I'd advise you to go for editor if you have college-level english skills (can write a comprehensible essay with no or few grammatical mistakes that doesn't sound awkward)

Edit: I don't mean to sound elitist, but TLC is not a job that can be done by someone less skilled than the original translator. It is much better for the raw tl to be done by a less skilled translator and the polishing - after editing - be done by a more skilled translator. TLC is less demanding of a translator's time, but in exchange it is also a job that can afford fewer mistakes than raw translation as the product is linguistically 'finished' after the tlc's job is done. At the same time, ideally a TLC should be good enough to 'train' other tls by taking down notes on why a particular translation is inaccurate or inappropriate within the context. This accelerates the rise in quality of translation in general by teaching new translators where they are going wrong and encouraging them to think critically about how Japanese might be transformed into English.

Also, ideally a TLC should be able to function as a high-level editor, as one of the basic requirements of their work is to fix tl mistakes created by editing without ruining the quality of the editors' work by making lines sound awkward. It is for these reasons that I consider TLC to be the most difficult position to fill.

When it comes down to it, what is required of a raw translator is basic grammar in Japanese, a dictionary of nouns and verbs (to aid in vocabulary comprehension), and the patience and willpower to slog through the trenches of a translation. What is required of an editor is an accurate comprehension of English grammar and the ability to edit lines so they don't sound awkward. When considering whether you can fill one of these positions, you should consider whether you fulfill these very minimal conditions. I'll repeat this because it is important: Grammar is more important when translating then having a large vocabulary of individual words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember Aroduc mentioning that he needed to do a lot of editing because the original script was not very well-written and at times inconsistent.

Going by the English translation, the story definitely suffered because Eushully only spent enough effort on it to spice up the gameplay. Each plot section involves a problem with a straight-forward solution and the whole game is organized into neat little quest lines that have little to do with each other.

Ikusa Megami Zero, on the other hand

Has at least the making of an epic. I can hear it in my mind now:

Search -- Muse, sing of the Search

Of the Deicide Serika, he who wanders the land

Alone, forever pursued by foes,

Holy avengers and corrupt spirits alike.

Once he had committed his horrific crimes,

Slaying Justice and Mercy, he was doomed

Bereft of memory and all he loved.

Begin, Muse, when he first met

The Goddess who loved him and fall at his hand.

I remember Aroduc mentioning that he needed to do a lot of editing because the original script was not very well-written and at times inconsistent.

Going by the English translation, the story definitely suffered because Eushully only spent enough effort on it to spice up the gameplay. Each plot section involves a problem with a straight-forward solution and the whole game is organized into neat little quest lines that have little to do with each other.

Ah I see. Interesting. Fooled me honestly, seemed pretty well put together but guess that was just the editor. GG

• 5 weeks later...