shenmue 3 - make it happen!

XReaper

They are not very fun to play nowadays, straight up. And I say this as someone who was a fan of those games at their release. They do not hold up. The ONLY reason to play them anymore would be for the story.

I don't agree, I played it a year ago, the first one I used an emu because I don't own a dreamcast anymore and the second one with my xbox360, it was still amazing, to roam around the town, checking everything, speaking with everyone, training and getting better techniques, there are some things that dont hold up (like working with the forklift, or some qte's parts) overall I think it does hold up very well but I'm biased here because I really love this game.

I don't agree, I played it a year ago, the first one I used an emu because I don't own a dreamcast anymore and the second one with my xbox360, it was still amazing, to roam around the town, checking everything, speaking with everyone, training and getting better techniques, there are some things that dont hold up (like working with the forklift, or some qte's parts) overall I think it does hold up very well but I'm biased here because I really love this game.

I think you are definitely looking at those games through some rose tinted glasses.

Edit: I still enjoy them a lot but maybe in a different way from how they were intended to be enjoyed. They feel kind of campy, in a way. Just listen to this wonderful dialog. It honestly warms my heart:

If you know what I mean :makina:

Now excuse me as I get major hyped for Shenmue 3's forklifting minigame. http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/yu-suzuki-wants-to-introduce-a-new-qte-system-for-shenmue-3/

Yu Suzuki also says that he’s been thinking of a way to add the forklift mini-game into Shenmue III.
Edited by Decay

I started playing the first one. I already love it~

I got issues with it though and that's probably because I'm emulating it. The game had a bit of framerate lags but I fixed it by tweaking with the graphic options. The other flaw I have is that the game freezes when I try to play any Arcade mini-game .

I'm using NullDC (A Dreamcast emulator) to make it work, and so far I haven't find anything else that bothers me aside those two aspects.

I love how the city feels "alive" in a way, and the story revolving around the environment. It's visually stunning and it feels like I'm playing Harvest Moon but without the farming, haha.

Now I see why this game got so much praise.

I think you are definitely looking at those games through some rose tinted glasses.

Edit: I still enjoy them a lot but maybe in a different way from how they were intended to be enjoyed. They feel kind of campy, in a way. Just listen to this wonderful dialog. It honestly warms my heart:

If you know what I mean :makina:

Now excuse me as I get major hyped for Shenmue 3's forklifting minigame. http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/yu-suzuki-wants-to-introduce-a-new-qte-system-for-shenmue-3/

I must be honest I fucking love those quirky dialogs and they are part of shenmue, you can't have shenmue without those types of silly dialogs and bad voice acting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not trying to bash on the game or insult the fans. And I'll be honest, I've never even heard of Shenmue a few months back so I'm missing here a very important factor called 'nostalgia' in terms of media entertainment.

But I cannot simply ignore what turns out to be one of the most controversial and questionable record-breaking Kickstarter campaign that actually is successfully funded and at the same time being backed by Sony.

I'll just leave this video here for more details in regards to my accusations.

It's not like I hate the game for being controversial or anything. In fact I myself am hyped for this game too like many of you here since all I hear on the internet is about how Shenmue 1&2 are exactly my cup of tea.

But I just wanted more people to be aware of the questionable things that has been going on around most games that relies on promises and nostalgia factors, in other words 'Hype'.

• 3 weeks later...

More than a few kickstarters have ended up this way and I'm not overly fond of it either. Hell it's the main reason I decided not to back Shenmue 3...still looking forward to the game though...eventually. The shady practices of actual corporate entities jumping onto kickstarter is why I rarely back anything.