Go Thread - for beginners and advanced players

Are there any go/weiqi players out here or players interested in learning that popular board game ?

7reBfuU.jpg

I can teach beginner players via Kgs and skype and in addition we can create a private group on that same server if there are enough motivated people.

It's even possible to do group lessons if many people are interested in learning.

EVERYONE is free to join

My level is 7 Kyu as for now.

How to register on KGS ?

Go to gokgs.com and follow the instructions bellow.

ZfpfNiA.jpg

x8Jj4qj.jpg

Install it like you would install any other program. It's likely that it'll ask you to have the latest java version.

A shortcut should appear on your desktop.

VKeFhLu.jpg

You will have to enter the server as a guest first, you don't register before logging in. It is possible to play without registering, but very unlikely that you'll find good opponents.

g6JCM8v.jpg

Go to your user panel and click Register.

nDPnLPk.jpg

It will ask for your name, your email adress and a bunch of things that don't matter, do what you want with it.

cjHTjgb.jpg

You will be sent a mail checking the validity of your e-mail.

In it you'll find a password. With this you'll be able to log in properly and have access to ranked games.

You can change your password in your user settings.

There will be no tutorial or anything of that sort in this thread. Hundreds of books focus on tiny aspects of the game and you'll have to keep playing, study high level games and read books to get better.

But feel free to ask questions, post game or in-game screenshots and anything go related in that thread !

The size of the goban is 19x19, however beginners will start playing on 9x9, then, when they reach a certain understanding of the game, they shall move to 13x13, and finally 19x19.

Personnal advice : It is a very big mistake to try and jump some steps.

- 9x9 is perfect for teaching you many basics and introduces the notions of space control and shapes.

- 13x13 is the extension of 9x9 with larger jumps, it forces the player to read longer and harder sequences, play with more space and more fragile shapes.

- 19x19 is the real deal.

Edited by Guest

I added a little tutorial about how to Register on KGS.

Otherwise, the client is pretty well done.

I'll also create a room for fuwanovel players.

My name on KGS is maefdomn, feel free to add me.

Next to your name you'll have a [-]. Between those will be your level, ranging from 30 kyu to 1 kyu and then 1 dan to 7 dan that you can change by playing ranked games. It is comparable to an elo system.

You may come across [Xp] players who are professionnal players.

Official rankings are a little different and depend on the countries too.

The community overall is extremely nice and respectful, I've never had any problems ever and many high level amateur players will sometimes gladly give educationnal games to more intermediate or starting players.