New to VNs

hello people, my first time posting here. here is the deal....i recently got into LN. and i am loving it. never thought reading could be so fulfilling. now i wanted to know what VN actually is? is it like a game? as in i go through the story but in a gameplay kind of manner with photos, backgrounds, bgms and stuff? please inform me as i am kind of interested to read VN AND ALSO where to get VNs from? thnaks in advance!

I think you have the general idea? There's not much "gameplay", you click to advance the story and occasionally make choices. Unfortunately, it seems that Fuwanovel lacks a decent newbie primer, so here is a decent primer made by some 4chan anons: http://visual-novels-general.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_FAQ

As for where to get them, you can buy officially translated (or sometimes natively english) VNs from MangaGamer, JAST, and Steam. There are also a lot of fan translated VNs that come in the form of patches to the full Japanese versions, but it is unfortunately pretty impractical for westerners to obtain them legally, and Fuwanovel does not allow illegal links to them, you'll have to find them on your own. 

A good resource for VN fans is VNDB, which has information on every VN ever made (or, it tries to). Listing the VNs by popularity is a good way to see what's popular at a glance, and when I got into VNs I spent a lot of time browsing that and checking out whatever piqued my interest. 

edit: And since this post has been spun-off and moved, welcome to the forums!

Decay pretty much answered all of your questions, so I'll just you welcome to the wonderful world of Visual Novels, mr. devil's advocate!

~~

I think you have the general idea? There's not much "gameplay", you click to advance the story and occasionally make choices. Unfortunately, it seems that Fuwanovel lacks a decent newbie primer

Yeah, unfortunately it seems this is Fuwa's only newbie "What is a VN": http://fuwanovel.net/faq/what-is-a-visual-novel and it's pretty meh.

Dw, one day Tay & Stray will get the Player Mentors Program thingymabob working. One day.