Clannad anime or VN?

bronx819

I've put off Clannad for one reason or another for years (I did watch like 5 episodes though) but ever since getting into VN's I've realized that I prefer the original over the adaptation with the only exception being Steins;Gate.

That being said, for those that watched the anime and played/read the VN, which would you recommend? The VN with more detail, or the animation with all the animation goodness?

Seen the anime, haven't finished the VN yet.

Sekai Project's working on an improved translation which should be coming to Steam sometime.  Art-wise there's an argument to be made that as is the usual with Key's earlier works, the art leaves some to be desired.  Clannad's one of the better VN-Anime adaptions from what I know.  T'was the pinnacle of adaptions before Steins;Gate came along - depending on who you ask, it might still be.  I'm still undecided, frankly.

Apologies, I'm a bit out of it so this post is a bit poorly worded.  General advice says to wait for Sekai's re-translation, but if you can't then just go for the anime.  I think.

Personally I would pick the VN over the anime but (to my current knowledge) the fan translation for clannad isn't that good. I would wait for Sekai project to finish their translation because it will probably be better.

If you don't want wait or if you think the VN art is hideous then you can still get a good experience from the anime. The visuals are great and unlike most VN anime adaptations it's actually pretty good. The only drawback is that you don't see the romance with the other heroines with the exception of 2 OVA's which honestly didn't quite capture the same feeling.

Overall I think the VN is better but the anime is good too.

Yeah the visual novel is pretty long winded. It really draws events out, so you really want to get emotionally connected to each heroine then that would be a better choice. 

In my opinion, the anime does a good job of combining elements from each of the routes into a coherent story that only focuses on romance between Tomoya and Nagisa. If you want to fall in love with more than one girl, the VN will again be more pleasing 

Both are equally funny, so don't let the prospect of comedy sway your decision. 

For Clannad?

The anime. I'd give that a 7. 

The VN is boring as hell, and wouldn't get more than a 5 from me. It's the only adaptation where that's the case, too.

I felt the Kanon 2006 adaptation was slightly better than the original VN as well. 

Like Kaguya, I preferred the anime to the VN as well. Coincidentally also like Kaguya, I rated the anime a 7 as well. I only recommend reading Kyou's and Tomoyo's routes in the VN, because they both compete for the spot for best girl. ^^

Fan to Key? --> read Vn and watch anime

only want enjoy simple story? --> watch anime

Anime S1 = introduction story , some scene , many story plot combination route together (in Vn is ending of route) and Ending. (not the true ending :makina:)

Anime S2 = the missing scene where S1 didn't air and Ending of Story

Ova = about Kyou & about Tomoyo

Clannad Movie = Nagisa........lpVQX.gif     (Ps:Ushio Kawaii)

The Vn = ............ everything

Dude, just wait for SP release of Clannad. It features: 1280x960 which is ****** amazing! JP Clannad PC is only 800x600 and PS3 is 1280x720, so we're getting awesome quality of translation and art+music.

Even though I watched Clannad 3~~ months ago, I'll play still play this VN :D It'll be worth waiting :)

Sad thing that we won't be getting Tomoyo After :x It should be 500k milestone :/

I read the VN to do Kyou's route and watched the anime to actually see the big ending.  Never finished Nagisa' route cause personally it bored me to death, making me easily drift off to sleep playing it on many occasions.

Yeah, play your favorite waifu on the VN and watch the anime if you want to cry uncontrollably

I read the VN to do Kyou's route and watched the anime to actually see the big ending.  Never finished Nagisa' route cause personally it bored me to death, making me easily drift off to sleep playing it on many occasions.

Yeah, play your favorite waifu on the VN and watch the anime if you want to cry uncontrollably

Yeah I think I'll follow your advice and do a mix~ play my favorite character route then watch the anime, mainly cause its hard for me to enjoy the VN's emotional parts since I always finish reading the text while the characters are still talking and I can't be bothered to wait until their lines are done

• 6 years later...