The most beautiful anime/visual novel?

Well, what is beautiful depends on the person but for me Irotoridori no Sekai has beautiful art :P

About animes I don't know. Can't remember any anime that had great art at the moment. I'm sure there were some though.

Regarding visual novels, Anything by Jin Happoubi and Oyari Ashito. Bishoujo Mangekyou is just screaming beauty and basically every single game Oyari worked on is a pure joy for the eyes. I'd definately recommend getting their artbooks, if you're looking for great and inspirational character art. AKIRA's and Ryuuko Ooishi's art is also incredibly distinct and they're both most known for their work on WAB series, particulary Sekien no Inganock, Valusia and Sharnoth.

Can't say much about anime, since animation is what counts the most and artwork is often put at the second place, but Gankutsuou prove that exceptions do exist. I'm sure there are better examples to follow, though.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Anime: I'd mention Penguindrum for having quite the colour palette, bringing full attention to almost every detail.

VN: The steampunk series have nice presentation. The stylization is amazing, and is a treat if you like shōjo art. I haven't played it, but Shiei no Sona-Nyl looks imprezzive. Other than that, Favorite's works have a cool palette too. Innocent Grey manages to make mundane characters look pretty. Nitro+'s later works are amazing in visual presentation.

Try Figure 17. The scenery is pretty beautiful and the music goes with it very well. The characters are also really adorable.

Trailer:

For VNs, maybe try Quartett? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I really like the art style that company uses and the instrumental orchestra music fits really well with it.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNLwOlxiROA

Edit: Also, if you want to see the beauty of the world in a new way, I recommend reading/watching Kino's Journey ~The Beautiful World~. As the tagline of the series reads: 'This world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.'

OP

By far, mushishi is the most beautiful anime i've ever watched.  Stories, characters, backgrounds,the soundtrack, and especially the mushi themselves.  It's all just beautiful,with an incredible other-worldly relaxing feel that no other anime has ever given me. Pure, hand drawn bliss.

tumblr_n4ygxqjoRZ1qc5rbmo1_500.gif