Quick Update: Nohman, Eclipsed, Beato, Ren, Stray Cat, Board Mods, and moar!

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your patience as I've been away from the site for a few days. I've got a lot of small updates to share with you, and to avoid the wrath of the entire community the mods, I will put all of them together in one post instead of clogging up the recent topics box. 

FuwaDirectory Update: The /index.php?/topic/7975-the-fuwadirectory/">FuwaDirectory has been cleaned up a bit. It's not quite 100% done, but we're getting there.

Coding Updates: Nayleen has been doing a lot of work lately, and we all owe him a toast of good health and fortune. The database and behind-the-scenes work is substantial, and on top of that there aren't many people out there who could manage the server as well as he does. We put out a call for coders to help out and got a lot of volunteers, so hopefully we can get that rolling soon and free Nay up to work his arcane magicks on site features.

LC Coordinator: For those who haven't heard, Nohman has agreed to be our community LC Coordinator. That means he has the unfortunate obligation to work with me and coordinate site updates. Poor guy : P. But, seriously, this is a huge help to me and like so many others, Nohman is bringing some incredible skills to the table and we're lucky to have him help out.

LC Liaison: Eclipsed is taking over a new job (which, sadly, has not yet received a cool title): watching LC discussions and working with me to keep the whole community appraised of important stuff. AKA: making sure site work is being related to the community so we're mostly on the same page.

Super-Beato: Beato has stepped up and taken charge of coordinating the front site redesign. In short, this is a really good thing. Emi continues as our design genius, Nayleen is working on the code, I'm working on text assets (and coordinating with others on and off Fuwa to get guides written for the front site, as well), Rooke is editing the assets, and several people have started helping by reading-through and commenting on assets. Thank you, everyone!

Ren: Just wanted to thank Ren for his help as LC Speaker of the House (that job has since been phased out) and all of his support. On a personal note, you were a great friend to me last month, and really helped me out. Thank you : ).

Stray Cat & Player Mentors Program: Stray Cat is one of those people who has pretty much always stepped up to help in any way he can. He's willing to help me sort out the Player Mentor program. All I can say is, "Thank you, and god help us..." 

Board Mods: I'd like to thank all of our board moderators (past and present) for their help on the site. We're continuing to tinker with various forums moderating schema, but the BMs have been a huge help. Thank you so much for your time and efforts : ).

Rose & Recognition: Rose has been doing an amazing job highlighting cool threads around Fuwa and cool VN projects around the VN-verse. Ironically, working on the recognition team is a fairly thankless job. I want to let him know that his work has been widely used and appreciated, and I hope everyone will drop him a "thank you" for his time.

FuwaChat: We tried moving the FuwaChat to the forums index to increase its appeal. Chaos ensued. The leaders of this movement have since been rounded up and summarily shot. Carry on.

VNTL-Moon: Continues to grow in popularity! I'm seeing it linked-to more and more often as time goes by. : D

Last Week's VNTS Post: Sorry for not being around to write it. I will probably miss ~4 weeks a year, but in the future I'll try to give you forewarning.

Reviews: We're in the middle of fairly extensive brainstorming and re-structuring of the reviews hub and how the team will work going forward. We're fortunate to be receiving a lot of game reviews keys, so it's a good time to re-evaluate the program. I'd like to offer a quick apology to Ryechu for not giving some of his recent reviews the attention they deserved. We're going to work on improving that, going forward.

Think Tank Rangers: We've added a new Ranger! Welcome, Palas, to the crew! Rooke, Tiago and Palas have been very helpful in brainstorming the Reviews board and some broader strategy about how to handle VNs on the new front site. 

That's it for now, but expect more updates (including more concrete details) soon. I'm working through my PMs and emails this morning/afternoon during breaks, tomorrow's Fuwa work will mostly revolve around VNTS, and then this weekend I should be getting back to my to-do list (finishing metrics for nohman, getting Stray Cat a readable (read: not insane) tracking document, working through all the reviews brainstorming, and talking to Nay about the volunteer coders as well as the new supersecretthingy).

- Tay

PS: Please /index.php?/topic/10373-best-wishes-for-krill/">leave Krill a get-well message! The forums banner message will be taken down in a day or two.

Oh, neglected to mention that we did end up getting a second server to host/power our analytics software. This will open up a lot more server resources to site projects and new tools!

inb4 "Chat on forum index page pls"

Also, since I'm a lazy bum, feel free to check occasionally whether I worked on the beta site by looking at the automatically generated version file:

http://beta.fuwanovel.net/version.txt

Will be an exercise in meaningful commit message writing, but oh well...

I think a group of people we forget to mention all of the time when it comes to these recognition and shoutout threads is the members themselves. I think we should thank everyone who has actively sat through all of the changes to the site and continued to find a home here. Without the members, this site would be nothing.

So thanks everyone for all of the hard work you do, and thanks members for being so awesome!