Have you already played VNs with your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife?

starlessn1ght

Reading with other people sucks. One of us will have to wait 'till the other finishes the line, and, considering my current partner, it's definitely gonna be me.

Yada yada don't wanna spend 10 seconds bored waiting for them to finish reading the screen at every line.

Reading with other people sucks. One of us will have to wait 'till the other finishes the line, and, considering my current partner, it's definitely gonna be me.

Yada yada don't wanna spend 10 seconds bored waiting for them to finish reading the screen at every line.

Have you never heard of something called "auto mode"?

If I set it to my speed, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the text.

If I set it to theirs, the problem would persist. 

If I try a speed in between that, I'll get bored and they won't be able to keep up with the text. 

It doesn't really fix anything. 

Auto mode is terrible, and I only use it when I'm eating something and trying to read.  I hate it regardless of the speed, because it's either too fast or too slow.  There is no in between, just like hot pockets.  Either they're boiling lava hot or so cold they're frozen solid.  Warm doesn't exist for them.

Nah. Video Games and all outdoor activities are much more fun with other people, but I prefer watching (most) movies/TV shows/anime and reading books/VNs by myself. The latter especially because of differences in reading speed. I guess people would use "auto" to do it with a VN, but it would still annoy me a little. It's one thing to just show them something funny quickly, but sitting through the whole thing with someone else would be a drag imo.

My gf told she is not interested in looking for hours on the screen with a feeble text and static images, she would rather read a book with decent text, from which she could learn something.

So my plan to play something with her failed...

Books we read with her, but this way - she is making her manicure, and I read aloud the text :) So no problem with speed. With VN, where 60% is the images, this would not work... And also she knows english, but when I tried to read that aloud, she got only 10% of text... So have to synchro-translate from english, seems I would not be able to do that...

She is ok with watching some anime though, but never marathoning, max 30-40 minutes. So it is not that she is against the graphic style.

Most VN's I played are Sci-fi and it's my preferred genre.

As a guy, I would love to experience a playthrough of a Sci-fi VN with a beloved; it'll be like watching a movie but with the addition of texts. Sadly, I don't know a lot of girls who are into Sci-fi, or let alone the idea of reading/listening from the same screen together. I love the idea though and it's something I hope to try someday.

If I set it to my speed, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the text.

If I set it to theirs, the problem would persist. 

If I try a speed in between that, I'll get bored and they won't be able to keep up with the text.

This. Totally this. I could never find someone with the same reading speed (especially in English) as me, and I really see myself in the situation you just described, whatever the language the VNs are in.

However, in my case the language barrier makes the experience impossible. My wife (yeah, don't hit me) isn't really fluent in English and, even if she would mostly understand the text we would read, she'd take too much time for me and I'll lose patience after 5 minutes. Even in French our reading speeds are different and the result would mostly be the same. 

So while the idea isn't bad per say, it believe it's really difficult to find the autospeed that suit two people perfectly. It would even be easier, as with real books, to read the same VN at the same time but on two different screens and agreeing to wait for the other after each chapter to discuss of what has been read and move on.

I'll stick to vostfr anime, personally. :amane:    

My gf told she is not interested in looking for hours on the screen with a feeble text and static images, she would rather read a book with decent text, from which she could learn something.

So my plan to play something with her failed...

I have the perfect solution for the problem. But first, she needs to want you more than you want her. Threaten her: "If you don't read VNs with me, we're finished."

I have the perfect solution for the problem. But first, she needs to want you more than you want her. Threaten her: "If you don't read VNs with me, we're finished."

I do not want it so bad to threaten her for something as ridiculous as this. And actually not sure if this would be enjoyable experience. I think there is a lot of fun things to do with a gf apart reading a VN with her...

yep i tried it, but it resulted in me beeing hated. now only recommending the more normal ones to them, as my attempt regarding playplayplay & co backfired...

I wouldn't recommend a rape nukige on the first date.  It tends to leave a bad impression.  Showing off one's loli collection to a divorced mother (especially of a young girl) is also usually ill-advised.  While I can't find a logical explanation, it's useful to think of such reactions as "reflex behaviors".  You don't have to understand, you just have to know the triggers and avoid them.

I wouldn't recommend a rape nukige on the first date.  It tends to leave a bad impression.  Showing off one's loli collection to a divorced mother (especially of a young girl) is also usually ill-advised.  While I can't find a logical explanation, it's useful to think of such reactions as "reflex behaviors".  You don't have to understand, you just have to know the triggers and avoid them.