A veteran TL suggests a Kickstarter to fund a fan translation

Also, my ballpark estimate for the typical localization costs of a decent VN are ~$25,000-$50,000 (based on some numbers Mangagamer has thrown out). $2500 only covers the slave labor salary of the translation team. Even if the project succeeds, it remains to be seen whether a Kickstarter campaign could raise the necessary funds for a licensed translation.

there would be no need for license if the company making the KS for the translation is the license holder (so the dev). And that would be most of the cost probably, fan translators wouldn't ask for that much money to do what they like.

Everything is in the communication and good relations.

I'm not surprised about the outcome. He contacted the developers AND was asking for money for the translation. From a capitalist standpoint, the result was very much expected.

However, I wonder when VN developers will drop their paranoia towards the other side of the globe. They're like a parody of the modern individual: always living like there's some absolute evil lurking in the shadows, ready to eat you alive should you let your guard down for a single moment.

• 1 month later...