Hello~

Raithfyre

Hi everyone, long-time lurker, third-time poster here. Since my other two posts were in a thread I made about the VN I'm working on, I figured I should actually say hello to the community at large. Fuwanovel's played a big part in my VN consumption for years now, so really I don't have a good reason for not having gotten involved sooner =/

Let's see, about me...

Well, writing and VN's are pretty much my life at this point. I actually quit my job a couple weeks ago to work on HRP and my other project, the yuri VN Starlight Vega, full-time. Bit of a reckless decision, yeah, but hey! You only get the chance to be young and dumb for a while. Right now I'm living in Phoenix, though I might move to Los Angeles at the end of the summer. We'll seeee.

Gosh, I've rewritten this paragraph like four times now. For a writer, I'm awfully inept at talking about myself, I've learned. I think I need more hobbies. I don't watch as much anime as I used to (seriously, I've been halfway through the second season of Love Live for like a month and a half now) and I spend much more time writing VN's than I do playing, anymore. My favorite though is Symphonic Rain; really sad to me that it's not unpopular, but definitely under-discussed.

Okay, well, I'm gonna cut this short instead of trying to force out a biography for much longer. I look forward to "meeting" all of you!

Yo, Raithfyre! Nice to meet you. I, too, was once a lurker here on Fuwa. (I still think I kinda am since not many know me...)

Glad to see another VN developer on the site. I just remembered that the HRP and Lucid9 are both affiliated with Sekai Project. Maybe we can stalk each other's projects? I sort of fanboyed on the HRP's thread, so I'm sure you know how excited I am for that already. 

Oh, and watch Love Live!

Kidding, I haven't see it either.

Hello all, and thanks for the warm welcome~

David: I'll keep an eye on it. The idea of a browser-based VN is interesting to me, because I split my time between three devices. Would be handy to have something synchronized there, heh.

My introduction to VN's was, embarrassingly enough, old Final Fantasy dating sims on Newgrounds =/ I didn't really know what they were at the time; I was just a lonely pre-teen. The first "proper" VN I played was Katawa Shoujo, not really expecting much. I know I'm one of many in that regard.

Welcome to the forums!  Glad to have another writer on-board, VN or otherwise.

Question!  From your experience, how does VN writing differ from more standard styles?  Do you write the scripts on a word document then port them over, or just write them into the code itself?  How do you go about editing something in a word document to flow well in code?  How do you think ADV varies from NVL in terms of what works from a writing point?

Thank you all! Such a friendly community here~

Zodai: So, writing for a VN is much more dialogue-heavy instead of description heavy. Since in a traditional novel, you have to rely on the text to describe the scene, how the characters look, etc. and in a VN, the art does all that for you. To some people, that might be be easier, but if you're like me and prefer the description-heavy stuff, it can be a bit of a chore. As for formatting... Personally, I write all my stuff in Google Docs and then transfer it over to text documents, formatting that for Ren'Py as I go. It's inefficient though, and writing directly into Ren'Py's format is a lot easier - it's just also kinda disruptive and makes it harder to get into "the zone."