Anime for Marathoning

• Second Highschool DxD, you can't go wrong marathoning that.
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Kill la Kill
  • Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and Toaru Majutsu no Index
  • Shinsekai Yori
  • Chihayafuru

I want to say Gintama and Hunter x Hunter but they're really long. Still fun as hell to marathon through, except you wouldn't watch anything else.

It depends on how intimate the friendship is. And have you considered some of these friends can be girls or children?

Oh god no. Think of the smiley square village!

I'd recommend Gantz. I watched almost all of it in one day.

Nononononononononono.

You do not know what you are saying.  Gantz had one of the worst manga to anime adaptions I've ever seen.  Please don't take take this suggestion seriously.  While the manga was pretty good, the anime literally just shits on the source material.

I third DxD.  If they are friends who you screw around with all the time and do stupid shit, DxD is the perfect show to banter and laugh at.

Shin Sekai Yori doesn't necessarily benefit from marathoning at all, it has 3 arcs, each separated by a time skip, so they make perfect break points.

I guess what you are really asking is what are good shows to watch with friends maybe?  The answer to that one is pretty much anything.

• Armored Trooper VOTOMs + OVAS
  • GaoGaiGar and GaoGaiGar FINAL
  • Shin Mazinger Z and Mazinkaiser 
  • The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
  • Tetsujin 28(2004)
  • Martian Successor Nadesico
  • Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
  • Gunbuster
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Getter Robo (Armageddon, New, and Neo)
  • Mobile Police Patlabor
  • Zambot 3
  • Ideon Movies
  • Any Universal Century Gundam anime 

All of these are Mecha, but they're pretty good. 

Non-mecha

• Revolutionary Girl Utena 
  • Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
  • Anything Lupin related
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Urusei Yatsura
  • Tenchi Muyo

I thought these were pretty good to watch too. Some are long as hell though.

Oh right, apparently the show Highschool of the Dead english dub has some pretty good naturalization in the jokes.  I've heard that they even made a Sarah Palin joke at one point, so you can consider this one.  I've never actually seen the show, but I intend to watch it at some point to laugh at how silly it actually is.

black bullet = short + dark + lolis = good

I dunno if I agree... it was great at first, but it ends without ending.  For marathonning, you generally want an anime with a solid ending or one that at least feels like a conclusion, like Noir or Darker than Black (even though there is another season, the first one feels like it concludes, lol).

Woah, Hell Girl brings back memories. That was one of the earlier anime I watched. I was in middle School when I watched it. Hell Girl was really interesting, but too depressing and intense for me (at least when I was watching it all those years ago). After I finished season 1, I didn't bother with season 2 because the first season depressed me too much. If I recall correctly, I watched Azumanga Daioh after Hell Girl. I needed a nice comedy to remedy my depression. xD

Season 2 of Hell Girl is the best part, but yeah the overall tone of the show is really sad and it never evolves from that into something happy so I don't know if you want to watch it with a friend, you both might get too depressed to carry on :P

Now I kinda want to challenge this, there's no way we will get too depressed! (Totally baseless confidence, when we watched Garden of Words we had to take a small emotional break afterwards)

And even if we do, I have healing shows like Amagami in store.

Now I kinda want to challenge this, there's no way we will get too depressed! (Totally baseless confidence, when we watched Garden of Words we had to take a small emotional break afterwards)

And even if we do, I have healing shows like Amagami in store.

Garden of Words is bittersweet, Hell Girl is death and sadness every. single. episode.

So I imagine you'll have to take emotional breaks every couple episodes :P

But hey, if you're up to the task, go for it, it's actually a really good show and presents its theme really nicely.