Lost Winter Nights [Recruiting GUI DESIGNER]

Nahilys

Project Introduction

Hello there. Here is my first ever VN project/ I have been working on a story of mine for about a year and recently decided to get involved seriously about it. I have been working on several parts of the project, being a director, developer, scenarist, writer & game designer at the same time. I like it though.
The team has been working a lot since we got together & we're lacking a GUI designer.

We're planning on advertising our project at Japan Expo in Paris (3 to 5 of July), and we are working on a promotional video for it.

"In a world where nuclear energy has the upper hand in everything and the sky has been obstructed by pollution, a part of humanity still hopes in finding happiness. As the country is being cracked between the military forces of the police and the mafia, a new social class is born. Neo Aristocrats, as they call themselves, pretend that the current reality exists only because of humanity's love for evolution and consumption. Imprisoned in gigantic cities made solely for themselves, they keep refusing reality and focus their whole life on studying ancestral traditions and cultures.
Ethan, an average yet shrewd Neo Aristo student, lives a happy but unnaturally repetitive life with his friends. Weeks pass with no change. Everything gets overwhelmed when he meets the likes of Alice, a beautiful yet mysterious girl. Ethan will learn that his life has never been what he thought it was and will eventually discover the true face of it."

Promotional Song [instrumental version - Work in Progress] - Vocal version will be released with our Promotional video ONLY ! :)

-> Download it here

Language : English (French, German, Portuguese and Japanese translations planned).

Genres : Thriller, Psychological, Sci-Fi, Romance, Drama, H.

Rating : 18+ (Sex, Blood)

Lenght : Medium to long.

Music influences : Kenji Kawaii, Ludovico Einaudi, Nanase Hikaru, Kajiura Yuki...

Universe influences : Dieselpunk/Cyberpunk.

Art influences : Ergo Proxy, Black Rock Shooter, Steins;Gate, Persona 4

IMPORTANT : Kickstarter planned when the team is full.

Work in Progress - Mostly translating from french (Update 3.0) :

Project's team :

Team Leader, Developper, Scenarist : Nahilys.

Script Writers (All 3 Routes) : ThanasisK, Burnt Offering

Chara Designer/Sprites Designer/Background Designer : THE UNKNOWN ( :D)

Graphic Designer/Animator : In talks.

Composer : MrKapow (+ Guitarist & Singers)

Programmers : GreyWolfXx, Sylvain S.

True Route Summary (Edited) :

FULL SPOILERS OF THE STORY

Prologue -

The main heroine, Alice, is the heir of a powerful mafia family who are fighting for the country to survive against the police. Both forces are trying to restore some kind of peace, which also means control over the last pieces of useable energy. As she is not supposed to be ready to be a part of the head of the family just yet, she is sent to a special college for New Aristocrats students.
New Aristocrats are one of the most hated populations in the eyes of the mafia and the police. Those people prefer to plunge themselves in a lost era, a forgotten culture, just to escape from the reality of their world and are a pain for everyone else working hard. Alice is sent there to spy and learn how to hate them as a way to prove her dedication to the family.
Unfortunately, her young age makes her easily suggestible and her heart goes crazy for a classmate of hers whom she finally falls in love with. When she turns eighteen, she is called back to her family but her heart belongs to someone else already. At first, both lovers try to keep their relationship secret to everyone, but you can't hide from the mafia.
Alice's family, getting the facts, makes the instant decision to shut MC down and kill him. He doesn't take their threat seriously and gets directly attacked. The intervention ended up taking place during a car trip with MC's friends which got all them all get killed as collateral damages, but he lives and falls into a coma.
After the forced accident, Alice decides not to trust her family anymore, runs away, gets in touch with the police and tries to find a way to get in contact with MC thanks to new technologies. Maybe, she could wake him up or at least understand what really happened.

Game Start –

Chapter 1 -

MC is in a deep coma for five years, living his collegial life with four of his closest friends, the ones who died. Living over and over again the last week of school before the accident, MC's subconscious refuses to remember what really happened to him. He goes to class, goes out with people, and doesn't think about his future or his past. He forgets everything every Saturday night.
In real life, Alice finally finds a way to get in contact with his sleeping mind and joins him in his dream. Her appearance overwhelms the time loop the MC is currently imprisoned in and new events start to occur. She is twenty-five at that time though, while he is still twenty due to him being asleep for that long. She remembers everything, of course, but he does not, making their first meeting very strange and complicated.

Chapter 2 -

At first, she was planning on trying to find a fast way to wake him up, to understand what happened, but the happiness of seeing him again, living with him again, makes her change her mind little by little. Her love takes the upper hand and she starts thinking about staying forever in this dream with him.

Chapter 3 -

As Alice gets closer and closer to the MC again, his subconscious starts to recognize the situation. Her presence modified the time loop, and strange things start to happen. One night, they find the dead corpse of a friend of his, violently murdered. Shocked at first, they run away, but the day after, that same corpse who was so violently assassinated seems to be alive in the flesh.
Alice then remembers her mission, the real reason of her presence here, and becomes more and more mysterious about this event. This death is only the first of a very long list : every night, a corpse will be found, from one of his four friends, and come back to life the day after.
Totally disturbed by the situation and on the verge of becoming insane, the MC starts thinking Alice is the meaning of all this craziness and kills her during their first ever sex interaction, when she is defenseless.

Chapter 4 -

Just as everyone else she is found alive the day after. Not being a part of his dream, she remembers what he did to her as well. The situation looking to be completely unbearable, Alice sacrifices her dreams of an endless love and reveals everything to him. About what happened. About her mission. About her family. About her relationship.
Obviously, he starts to remembers, and the feeling of guilt seizes him so hard, taking it as if he had killed all his friends and made her lose five years of her life, that he begs her to wake up and kill him in his hospital bed.

Alice then has two choices, that lead to two different endings :

1 -

She accepts, wakes up, kills him and kills herself soon after.

THE END

2 -

She refuses, wakes him up and leaves him to be healed in the hospital. Still feeling horribly guilty, he then tries to commit suicide but is stopped and sent to a psychiatric hospital. As he tries several times to escape and kill himself, he stays there for around 15 years When he is finally able to go out, Alice is gently waiting for him to come back to life...
A little girl is grabbing her hand timidly. He believes for a second.
She is barely ten years old.
It is not his daughter.
She hasn't waited for him, after all.
Then, they both smile to each other, with a deep, loving and respectful smile.

TRUE END

Heroines Designs :

Total NPC : 5

Alice - Main Heroine

784c5bc3ba.jpg

Aika - Childhood friend - Side Heroine 1 -

52def6b6f2.jpg

Morgan - Young Rebel Genious - Side Heroine 2 -

92670306a4.jpg

Gameplay :

1 True Route, 1 True Heroine.2 Side Heroines. 2 Ends with the True Heroine. Finish BOTH Side Routes to start True Route.

1 Week loop. Repetitive common route, influenced by choices every week, changing the story by adding more and more informations to get to the final conclusion.

Sounds like a good VN idea. I'm not too picky about VNs aside from if it's just a fapfest of h-scenes. After the French language version is done, have you considered allowing French to English people to help? Widespread it to every language, or at least allow an easy way to allow ANYONE to translate is what I love bout VNs. :)

I wish your VN good luck, and if you ever need funding help I'd probably suggest Kickstarter.

Hey. Thanks for answering.

Of course, I'd love to get it translated later, and I already considered creating it in english in the first place, but I'm afraid my directing and imaginative skills will suffer from not using my own language to talk with the team. That's the main reason, but it's not out of the question.

Concerning the H part, I had to put it in since I've already planned ONE scene which is important to me in the story, but nothing more than that. I'm not fond of fanservice & stuff, I'm more focused on the story itself, how it's shown & how it's written.

Update 1.0 !

I precised a bit the stuff I was working on by myself so people can get an idea about the whole thing withoug giving too much.

I'd love people to ask me anything they want so I could have a better idea what to add so people can get more in touch with the project. I have quite a lot of stuff done, just gotta translate it as good as I can.

IMPORTANT : Kickstarter planned when the team is full. French speakers prefered, english language game not out of the question.

It'd be nice if you could divulge a bit more about the story, especially the setting since it's what interests most people.

More generally, it is more interesting that you post info about the content of your project, rather than info about the progress of your project (progress will interest only people who already follow your project, and I'm betting that you are seeking more awareness for it instead). A sample of your writing could definitely be nice to have as well.

I know that people tend to not want to reveal too much about their projects, for the surprise, or because they don't want to have their idea be stolen, but keeping things a secret is the best way to have people forget about your project, especially during the early stages of development.

Also, I wouldn't advice a kickstarter if you're trying to release a french VN, french people are not that present in the kickstarter community, and a french VN won't interest many potential VN backers.

Bonne chance pour ton projet :) Je le lirai dès que ça aboutira !

As tu aussi pensé à laisser un message sur des forums français ?

I don't understand why the cyberpunk universe if it doesn't mean much to the story. Wouldn't a slice-of-life be more adequate? 

It'd be nice if you could divulge a bit more about the story, especially the setting since it's what interests most people.

More generally, it is more interesting that you post info about the content of your project, rather than info about the progress of your project (progress will interest only people who already follow your project, and I'm betting that you are seeking more awareness for it instead). A sample of your writing could definitely be nice to have as well.

I know that people tend to not want to reveal too much about their projects, for the surprise, or because they don't want to have their idea be stolen, but keeping things a secret is the best way to have people forget about your project, especially during the early stages of development.

Also, I wouldn't advice a kickstarter if you're trying to release a french VN, french people are not that present in the kickstarter community, and a french VN won't interest many potential VN backers.

Taking every advice !

Update 2.0 !

1 - Modified and precised the story context

2 - Started to add NPC basical descriptions

3 - Decided on a mainly english language game.

4 - Added music influences and gameplay informations.

More incoming as I'm not at home for the week-end ;)

Keep asking me questions about what you would want to know so I can post it (hardest work being translating all my work to english) & giving me possible advices about what's already posted.

I really think you should make your VN in French irst, or at least, write the entire script in french, and then, if you have a solid team, you can start to translate the whole into english.

It'll give you more freedom as you write the general story and the characters. 

I really think you should make your VN in French irst, or at least, write the entire script in french, and then, if you have a solid team, you can start to translate the whole into english.

Hey, thanks fort he advice. I'd love to do it, & I also think it would the best idea for me, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find french artists to join me since they are so rare. & non french speakers should not agree on working for something they won't even understand.

By the way, all characters are actually done for the most part xD Just gotta add some details that I can not do without visuals.

This is what I said above. I would prolly also prefer he start in French first, then move onto English later on.

I don't understand why the cyberpunk universe if it doesn't mean much to the story. Wouldn't a slice-of-life be more adequate? 

The slice of life genre IMO is too moege'd and it's not as fun to play moeges unless there's something interesting in it or about it.

The slice of life genre IMO is too moege'd and it's not as fun to play moeges unless there's something interesting in it or about it.

I agree with you, but if you put one of those settings in the story, the best you could do it is explore it a lot, and if the story is set in a world like this just because, it feels like a wasted potential. My suggestion, then, would be if they want to keep on with the cyberpunk setting, they'd better have the story directly connected to it.

UPDATE 2.1 !

1 - Edited team members : Chara designer, Editors, Writers, Composer, Programmers.

2 - Story full summary added (non edited).

3 - Precised 18+ rating.

Editing of the story summary ongoing, adding today or tomorrow at last.

May i just say something?

Your char's legs are maybe a bit...too long, unless you took Adriana as a model. 

I do agree with your statement, in a sens... But that how our character artist wanted to draw, and even though I led her on the most part & we did a lot of changes to the original sketch but I don't feel like her very long legs are that much of a trouble.

Anyway, this is mostly a sample for people to be interested in the project and see that we're working on it as hard as we can. We'll have to see how it looks after the coloring is finished. They are quite some anime for example that worked very well with a special chara design (especially long legs), one of them being Code Geass itself. So I am not that worried about it, but we will keep a look on those kind of details obviously while we keep working on the chara design.

I appreciate your feedback. She actually drew all of it with my advices and lead in one afteroon. It's a first shot, and i'm really looking forward to seeing even better work from her ! :)

Still looking for an english writer, graphist and background artist though !