Blog entries are not visible for long enough during busy days.

RE: Birthdays -- it does look really bad for regular users. Dang. Turned it off again. All those staff boards/LC/project/coordination boards really make my list longer than an average guest, so I hadn't seen the ugliness.

It's a Gravity Green theme issue. There's more space on the right sidebar using the FuwaFabulous theme, but almost none when on Gravity Green. Try it for yourself  ;)

The problem is this - there's so many cool and useful things we're trying to call attention to now, things which will improve the site if participation is increased. If participation increases, then the size of the widget will need to be increased. The Dev blog can survive with a couple of lines now, but you're hoping for more participation in the future so you want to factor in that growth. Simplifying the Recognition system in the present is Rose's call, but what you want it to be in the future is partially yours and again any growth needs to be factored in. Including the birthday widget in the mix will do what Decay mentioned in his post and IMO the other stuff is a little too important to jeopardise with a birthday widget which is partially there just for nostalgia. 

But that doesn't mean it can't be applied in some form, just not mixed in with all the important stuff you're trying to alert members to. Important stuff which might need more room in the future. Batman had a killer idea about putting it on the bottom, which Nay said he might try out on Sunday. That's a pretty decent solution.

But obviously your call.

PPPS: But, c'mon, all you long-timers. Doesn't this feel wrong?

Grinch1.jpg

Ran out of Likes but I support Rooke's stance. Let's put the 'Important' stuff on the sidebar, and the 'superfluous goodies' can go on the footer (RIP shoutbox tho)

Damn Grinch.

Incidentally, my blog post got like 30-40 additional views yesterday after the change went into effect, and only received around 10 views the previous day. So I reckon this definitely had a positive impact on blog views. The view counts still aren't mindblowing or anything but every little bit helps 

100-200 views is pretty typical for most blog posts.  Getting beyond 400 generally requires influx from an external audience.  Considering you're posting about Fallout 4 on a VN forum, I think you should moderate your expectations about the interest you can expect to generate.  If you want greater traffic, you need to cover topics of high interest, such as Winged Cloud's newest titles.

Not sure if the pain I'm feeling is coming from losing Birthdays, or letting Rooke get away with a cheeky victory PM in which he basically bathed in the blood of the birthday widget.

Regardless, if it's making a difference for blog authors, then it's worth it. Thanks for the topic, Decay.

So as you might have guessed I'm strongly opposed to the removal of the Birthday widget.  I didn't read this sooner because I don't use the blog feature at all, but now I see I should have and got my two cents in.

I like seeing the birthdays and I think the fact that we do have them and have a birthday thread keeps us closer as a community.

So, how are we going to get this back.  Is there a limit to the number of items we can have in the side-bar?

What should be said in favor of having the birthdays on the front page is that without it there nobody is ever going to remember to wish a birthday on fuwa ever again. Let's be honest, nobody goes out of his way to see who's having their birthday today.

Maybe that's not a problem though, idk. Maybe Tay will change his mind when he realizes we'll no longer celebrate events such as Sakura's birthday.

So, how are we going to get this back.  Is there a limit to the number of items we can have in the side-bar?

But that doesn't mean it can't be applied in some form, just not mixed in with all the important stuff you're trying to alert members to. Important stuff which might need more room in the future. Batman had a killer idea about putting it on the bottom, which Nay said he might try out on Sunday. That's a pretty decent solution.

What should be said in favor of having the birthdays on the front page is that without it there nobody is ever going to remember to wish a birthday on fuwa ever again. Let's be honest, nobody goes out of his way to see who's having their birthday today.

Maybe that's not a problem though, idk. Maybe Tay will change his mind when he realizes we'll no longer celebrate events such as Sakura's birthday.

Welp we know whose birthday's and when to the people you care more for....

I doubt you care about people you won't even talk to. 

But hey, isn't that what being friends is for "finding" out their birthday and giving them a great big wish?

We don't need the Birthday's to have their own section

Hmm... It did appear at the bottom for a brief few moments today though...

I wonder what's up with that?

Yea that's fine.  If it's on the front page but under the other stuff I have no complaints. 

We all know we can check the calendar to see people's birthdays, and we also all know we will hardly ever do it, it's just not an intuitive thing to do for most of us.

The birthdays widget was at least a nice way to say "hey this user has a birthday today, you should wish him a happy birthday", and I think out of all the widgets, it's the least confusing one since it doesn't list threads, but instead users, so it's actually easier to distinguish from the rest.

I believe maybe you could shrink it's size or even simplify it to acomodate the sidebar a bit better, but I don't think removing it is nice when a lot of us looked at it. Or at least I know I did.

I don't mind it being at the very bottom, but I still think it has the right to exist.

You guys are totally taking the gloss off the victory dance I aimed at Tay, you know :(

The sidebar was becoming ineffective. It was becoming that for a while now. Generally because whenever someone had something they wanted to call to people’s attention, they shoved it into the sidebar. Removing the Birthday section was just a really obvious way of improving things, so obvious that not even Tay could fail to see the benefits (*Nyah Nyah* :P)

Decay mentioned a 4x increase to the number of people visiting his blog, that’s significant and implies a more effective sidebar as it stands right now. Fuwa has goals for the future, and grand plans, and this sort of participation is part of that.

So a solution has to be found one way or the other. The “way things were” wasn’t working very well.

It is an excellent topic by Decay and really brought something worth mentioning to Tay’s notice. I wonder if Nay will be able to get it set up at the bottom? If not some more thought might need to go into this …

You guys are totally taking the gloss off the victory dance I aimed at Tay, you know :(

The sidebar was becoming ineffective. It was becoming that for a while now. Generally because whenever someone had something they wanted to call to people’s attention, they shoved it into the sidebar. Removing the Birthday section was just a really obvious way of improving things, so obvious that not even Tay could fail to see the benefits (*Nyah Nyah* :P)

Decay mentioned a 4x increase to the number of people visiting his blog, that’s significant and implies a more effective sidebar as it stands right now. Fuwa has goals for the future, and grand plans, and this sort of participation is part of that.

So a solution has to be found one way or the other. The “way things were” wasn’t working very well.

It is an excellent topic by Decay and really brought something worth mentioning to Tay’s notice. I wonder if Nay will be able to get it set up at the bottom? If not some more thought might need to go into this …

I saw the experiments at the bottom, wasn't good :P

That was through the addition of sidebars, not the removal of birthdays, though.

...Not even sure why I'm still posting here though. Y'all should browse the forums through the "new content" panel, like any sane person would do. No need for any sidebar then :P

I saw the experiments at the bottom, wasn't good :P

Balls! XD

Well, putting the Birthday widget straight back in means more white space and an unimpressive aesthestic for those on Gravity Green. Fixing that means reducing the size of widgets which increases the sense of clutter, lessens the amount of info gained at first glance, makes people more inclined to ignore them, and overall makes things less effective. I would aim for trying to come up with a separate place to put them, personally. You can't just keep shoving things into the sidebar.

The point of this is to ask what the people want. 

Sure, some people may support the greater emphasis on the blog.  I personally don't if it means the removal of the birthday widget.  

Hopefully we can reach a solution where everything works. 

That was through the addition of sidebars, not the removal of birthdays, though.

...Not even sure why I'm still posting here though. Y'all should browse the forums through the "new content" panel, like any sane person would do. No need for any sidebar then :P

I have no idea whose side you are on...