Book reading club -

Deep Blue

So... there is a vn reading club so why not one for books? I'm really bad at creating topics and doing this kind of stuff but I'll try to do my best, anyone can replace me if they want to because I'm sure they will do a better job.

This month or maybe for this week I propose a really short book that left me speechless the whole way through that I was reading it and it's really short (only a couple of hours of reading) 

https://visaldiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/one-liter-of-tears.pdf

I think it is free (I saw it on many webs to download it for free)

1 Litre no Namida  is a dramatic tragedy diary written by Aya Kitō published shortly before her death.

The diary, a true story based on her own life, was originally written in first person. It is about a girl coping with her teenage life along with a degenerative disease. She keeps a diary of not only what she does but how she feels and the hardships she must endure. Initially, the diary's purpose was for Kitō to chronicle impressions she had about how the disease was affecting her daily life. As the disease progressed, however, the diary became Kitō's outlet for describing the intense personal struggles she underwent in coping, adapting, and ultimately trying to survive her disease. As she notes in one entry, "I write because writing is evidence that I am still alive."

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone can submit books and we can make a pool for the next one, I think short books would be better but anything goes as long as you can download  buy them on the internet...

I sadly don't have much time for reading outside of the reading I already do, and I try to only read in Japanese when I can. However I think this is a great idea, especially with how many amazing classics are available in the public domain. I heartily recommend the following, which can be found easily either on Wikisource or Project Gutenberg:

Flatland

The Pilgrim's Progress

Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass

The Wizard of Oz

Down and Out in Paris and London

There are tons and tons of others but I don't want to drown you in book names so I picked some of my favorites that aren't crazy long.

Oh and almost everything by H. P. Lovecraft is available so please make sure to read some of his stories, maybe around Halloween.

In that case, I'll recommend a one-shot light novel Gekkou.

Synopsis:

Gekkou, or "Moonlight", is about the peculiar relationship between a cynical boy and a perfect girl. Said cynical boy is Nonomiya who spends day in day out in boredom, taking refuge from his dull life in his imagination. One fateful day, he happens upon the notebook of the much-rumored beauty Youko Tsukimori, neglected on the ground. Poking out from it is a scrap of paper with the unexpected title "Murder Recipe". His interest ignited, he immediately stuffs it into his pocket, only to find out the promising recipe contains nothing but scenarios that may or may not lead to deadly accidents, not even worthy of being called a plan. When he tentatively asks her about it the next day, she hasn't lost anything. But then her father dies. An accident...

So, I read the novel 1 Litre no Namida because I had nothing better to do and was bored. I can't say I enjoyed it because I was crying so much but it made me think about a lot of things.

I'm putting the rest of my thoughts about the book in a spoiler tag. I'm not really sure if they are spoilers since you could easily guess the ending and how things unfolded. 

The way that she struggled to live even though her demise was almost certain was inspiring. I had a family member that went through something similar. (Slowly losing control over their own body and not being able to even eat without choking at the very end. Sadly, he died as well.) Her mother's entries at the end along with her doctor's made me cry even more. An illness is painful for everyone involved, not just the sufferer. This story made me think about the fact that death is inevitable at some point for everyone. It really cemented it into my head.  

Anyway, I don't really have a book recommendation but I think this is a good idea and that 1 Litre no Namida is a solid suggestion. I would like to participate either way.

So, I read the novel 1 Litre no Namida because I had nothing better to do and was bored. I can't say I enjoyed it because I was crying so much but it made me think about a lot of things.

I'm putting the rest of my thoughts about the book in a spoiler tag. I'm not really sure if they are spoilers since you could easily guess the ending and how things unfolded. 

The way that she struggled to live even though her demise was almost certain was inspiring. I had a family member that went through something similar. (Slowly losing control over their own body and not being able to even eat without choking at the very end. Sadly, he died as well.) Her mother's entries at the end along with her doctor's made me cry even more. An illness is painful for everyone involved, not just the sufferer. This story made me think about the fact that death is inevitable at some point for everyone. It really cemented it into my head.  

Anyway, I don't really have a book recommendation but I think this is a good idea and that 1 Litre no Namida is a solid suggestion. I would like to participate either way.

I thought nobody was going to read it and I missed your post, sorry Shiki :( my thoughts:

Yep it was really sad, she knew from the begging and yet she didn't give up and that's inspiring, the way she saw everything in a really optimistic way was amazing that's why I admire her,this part made me cry:

Each person has unspeakable distress.

When I remember the past,

Annoyingly, I cry;

The reality of today

Is too cruel, too severe,

And doesn't even offer me a dream;

Imagining the future

Brings me yet another kind of tears.

Is just really unfair and sad, I was depressed all week for reading that book but I'm glad I did.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks for reading it, at least I reached one person :)

Tomorrow I'm going to make a pool for the next book from all the suggestions we got so far. ^_^ (maybe..maybe i wont, I don't think anyone will read the books :P )