Fallout 4 Announced

Thomas

It isn't that they took a step down, it's that they took a visual style that is reminiscent of Fallout and Fallout 2. The lighting in the trailer is phenomenal and we already know that Bethesda is able to impress us with graphics.

I really dont dislike the new color scheme, it's different bot definitly not bad.

It is indeed a lot brighter than the fallout 3 and new vegas ones but it definitly does not destroy the atmosphere.

The new scheme does reduce the depressing part of the fallout 3 and new vegas atmospheres but at the same time the washed out aged colors give a major boost to the other two atmospheres present in the game, namely the forlorn one and the wacky 50's universe one.

And personally i always liked the forlorn one over de depressive one.

I don`t really get the obsession with western RPG/action game makers and randomly adding canine companions to games. Considering that in the context of video games we could literally have any animal the creators wanted as our sidekick, why do they keep defaulting back to something lots of people actually really have in real life? 

Because many people are raised around dogs, they have a natural affinity for them. People become really attached to dogs in general, and that makes them want to own them as virtual pets, too. I know I like it when they give that option.

Also the fact that Fallout is meant to be at least somewhat realistic on some level, it's not pure fantasy. What would you have your loyal pet be? Dog makes the most sense in a post apocalyptic wasteland, they actually are loyal to their masters and have many useful skills for that situation.

I just don't see how the sequel to a game where you could

sell a child into slavery

is coming from jumping on the 'awww doggie' bandwagon. I've never really seen Fallout as being even remotely realistic, I think it's more of a black comedy post-apocalyptic gore, grit and gag-fest more than anything so... I dunno how about a raptor with cybernetic implants or something? How about a little mutated lizard thing that looks like a dragon and goes around breathing little flames at everything (hell if ants can do it..) and sits on your shoulder sometimes. How about a guy who got fused into his fursuit and runs around pretending to be your loyal dog because his mind was fried by radiation? How about anything that is interesting and thematic? It just feels like they chose the most default option, and default and Fallout don't go together in my mind.

... that said, I'm not a dog person and am actually quite afraid of big dogs so everyone should take my dog-hating opinion with the appropriate massive dose of salt.

Edit: And, though I didn't play it, apparently New Vegas even had a dog with cybernetic implants and a see-through brain case? See? That's a thematic dog. Not just a plain old dog dog.

So you would basically like to have the dinossaurs from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon as a sidekick? (In case you don't know what they are, they're dinossaurs with neon coloured skin and shoot laser beams from their eyes). When could you do that sale? I don't recall it. Was it in Fallout 1 or 2? I tend to prefer Fallout 1 and 2 in terms of story and world, but 3 and New Vegas for the morality system and some of the zany quests. For gritty gameplay, dark world and gore, play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro 2033 since those always seemed to me what Fallout tried to do in terms of story but couldn't.

I don`t really get the obsession with western RPG/action game makers and randomly adding canine companions to games. Considering that in the context of video games we could literally have any animal the creators wanted as our sidekick, why do they keep defaulting back to something lots of people actually really have in real life? 

Every Fallout game has always had a dog companion. Its more tradition at this point for the series. I believe Fallout 2 had a talking deathclaw that could help you. Not sure if he was an actual full game companion. 

Nope, you can have an intelligent deathclaw as a companion.  Source.

Every Fallout game has always had a dog companion. Its more tradition at this point for the series. I believe Fallout 2 had a talking deathclaw that could help you. Not sure if he was an actual full game companion. 

And yeah.  They've also all been named Dogmeat (aside from Rex in New Vegas).  Not anything new.

Understatement of the year 

let's just hope these graphics are not only possible for those running a tri sli gtx980ti or titan setup like for the witcher. :wahaha:

And i am curious as to what the reaction is going to be to the voiced main charater.

Altough i personally see nothing but good things in that as it will most likely be possible to turn the voice off.

It just looks like they are going to turn it even more sandboxy game. Too much freedom usually means that nothing really matters and everything, especially characters comes out little empty. Well at least that happened to me in previous Fallout games. And the combat looks as wonky as in previous ones.

It's too early to say anything based on one preview, but I'm not impressed yet.

And i am curious as to what the reaction is going to be to the voiced main charater.

Altough i personally see nothing but good things in that as it will most likely be possible to turn the voice off.

The counter to a voiced main character is usually a reduction in content, choices, and depth. Because you can't slot cool bits of text in "off-the-cuff" anymore, they all need to be recorded, and analysed, and there'll be budget meetings...

The counter to a voiced main character is usually a reduction in content, choices, and depth. Because you can't slot cool bits of text in "off-the-cuff" anymore, they all need to be recorded, and analysed, and there'll be budget meetings...

That's true, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about as far as content goes. Most of the actual content in Bethesda games consists of lengthy, multifloor dungeons and areas that you don't really ever have any reason to go to other than for pure exploration. In the grand scope of things, there are actually very few quests and pertinent dialog in more or less all of their games.

This would be problematic if FO4 was a game along the lines of Fallout 1 and 2, where variables and massive amounts of text was one of the most appealing features. Would've loved to see the return of the low intelligence script. Absolutely one of the most hilarious features in any game, even to this day.

That's true, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about as far as content goes. Most of the actual content in Bethesda games consists of lengthy, multifloor dungeons and areas that you don't really ever have any reason to go to other than for pure exploration. In the grand scope of things, there are actually very few quests and pertinent dialog in more or less all of their games.

This would be problematic if FO4 was a game along the lines of Fallout 1 and 2, where variables and massive amounts of text was one of the most appealing features. Would've loved to see the return of the low intelligence script. Absolutely one of the most hilarious features in any game, even to this day.

I agree with you, and if the amount of dialoge is anything close to the amount of the witcher 3 we definitly dont have anything to worry about when it comes to choises available.

More than that, i wonder if all lines are voice or just the ones for the main quests.

I dont really see a reason to voice all lines with traders for example.

Ow and i need to get this out of my system.

The crafting and house buuilding system, ...drool

And i fucking need to wait another five months, maybe i should just go and hibernate. To bad it's summer right now. (hopefully the witcher games will keep me busy until then)

I wasn't all that impressed with the Fallout 4 showing. It looked less like Fallout and more like a mod of some sort. New Vegas was a true fallout game in terms of choices mattering and the world and felt like the proper Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was devoid of choices having and meaning in the grand scope of things as you really had one choice at the end of it all and nothing you do before hand will change the outcome save maybe a companion.

Its clear to me Todd Howard makes good games. But he does not make a good Fallout. The game will be tons of fun and I'll sink many hours into it, but I can't help but wonder how different things would be if Obsidian was given another crack at it. Because New Vegas was Fallout. 3 was lacking the Fallout feel.