5 Reasons to Watch Evangelion (Evangelion Thread)

That's the problem right there!! People go into older anime with a preconceived notion on what's good and what's not. I can probably name 50 shows that "anime fans" think suck, but are really great anime. That's why I'll give pretty much anything a chance.

and I can name one that "anime fans" think is the greatest ever, but is actually gods aweful in every conceivable way.

give you a hint. it begins with an e and ends with vangelion.

and I can name one that "anime fans" think is the greatest ever, but is actually gods aweful in every conceivable way.

Thats like, your opinion man. And I'm curious as to why you placed anime fans in quotes. Are you implying that people who like Evangelion aren't anime fans? Or something else?

I'd like to hear your arguments about Evangelion, actually. I think we have an Eva thread somewhere.

I'd like to hear your arguments about Evangelion, actually. I think we have an Eva thread somewhere.

I find the characters, all of them, to be completely unlikeable.

the main character is a whiney brat. not even starting out as one and progressively becoming more stoic, he's a little b**** the entire series.

the original ending was horrible.

the plot is outrageous, and people keep reading too much into it in the most ridiculous ways to make it seem less outrageous. (like those book based essays you had to write in school, where the teacher had you find deep meaning that didn't exist.)

the living mech idea is stupid. I haven't found a single show that's done it in a way that I find enjoyable though, to be fair.

the voice acting in the English dub was hilariously aweful, and shinji screaming like a little girl every other episode didn't make it any better.

asuna was annoying.

penguin in the fridge. seriously.

Are you implying that people who like Evangelion aren't anime fans? Or something else?
I find eva fans to be about as obnoxious as the people who say bleach or naruto are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but haven't watched anything else to compare it to. present company obviously excluded since you guys seem a little more knowledgeable about anime than the people I usually talk to about anime.

this is becoming an eva thread shouldn't we go back to the topic,

anyway shinji is indeed annoying, he's one of the most annoying characters from my point of view, but that's the point of eva, problems kids who are the world's hope, i don't know if with original ending you mean the one from the anime or "the end of evangelion" but from what i know "the end of evangelion" is the official ending of the series. And about the plot i don't know if you mean kids riding robots or anything of the sort, but i think the plot of evangelion is more psychological than anything else. That being said i won't talk more about eva in this topic.

this is becoming an eva thread shouldn't we go back to the topic,

anyway shinji is indeed annoying, he's one of the most annoying characters from my point of view, but that's the point of eva, problems kids who are the world's hope, i don't know if with original ending you mean the one from the anime or "the end of evangelion" but from what i know "the end of evangelion" is the official ending of the series. And about the plot i don't know if you mean kids riding robots or anything of the sort, but i think the plot of evangelion is more psychological than anything else. That being said i won't talk more about eva in this topic.

For the series, Anno attempted to create characters that represent different things to different viewers.

the anime was specifically meant to be deep and meaningful without actually putting the effort into being deep and meaningful. the dude who made the show created the greatest Rorschach test of all time, but that was it. the creator gave you a black blob and pretty much just let you have their way with it. that is all good and well, but it does absolutely nothing for the story, which was bland, boring to the point of unwatchable, and confusing for half of the people who watch it.

as I've said, the characters are horrendously designed. each and every one of them is either whiney, unjustifiably arrogant, or flat out annoying to watch. the voice acting, in both jap and eng, is laughably bad. the actors juggle between the extremes of "bored guy reading off a page" to "overly hyped for no apparent reason".

the story is also all kinds of boring, and just like the characters, has absolutely no deep meaning that the viewer doesn't make up as it goes. halfway decent combat scenes with giant robots doesn't make up for the lack of any sort of compelling story. also, that whole drowning in fluid thing every time you got into your machine was just stupid, for lack of better word. I get that the guy was trying to not clone a gundam series, but he added all kinds of sh** that just didn't need to be there at all.

also, penguin in the fridge.

this is my rant on evangelion, and the last i'll be posting about it in this thread. for more discussion, pm me about it. seriously, my inbox is always empty. someone talk to me :(/>