Sitrep 1: Katawa Shoujo

B0X0R

Just talking about the vn, I thought it was decent. Kinda between mediocre and fantastic on my scale. The art and music is fantastic. There is some decent storylines, but there was alot of missed opportunities.There were also some cgs that looked a bit weird to me.

As a project overall it is currently the standard in which all oelvn projects are measured by. Whatever my gripes are about the art and story, it is still light-years ahead of any other oelvn (that I have read so far)

It's what drew me into VNs, reminded me that the genre can be so much more than just fap material. (I had read Chaos:head, Utawamono, and afew others beforehand, but it was more of me just randomly picking than actual interest in the genre)

Hell, it was on the Katawa Shoujo forums that I discovered a link to VNDB, and was recco'd Fate/Stay. Been on this path ever since.

It's not perfect, but it has alot of heart and character depth - feels personal.  Even though the characters are drawn - they are hardly two-dimensional. (badumdum, tss!) :D

And, as someone with a severe and permanant disability myself - I can empathize with the setting and the heroines to one point or another, and felt it was done tastefully - regardless of the flak the title received early on, heh. :sachi:

IKATAWA SHOUJO

(No pun intended)

Pretty much this. The only thing that I really didn't like about it (I actually liked the inconsistency in art) was the lack of voice acting. Voice acting is a wonderful thing, and I long to know what they all sound like. Sure Hisao is a dick at times but he's also human (disregarding the fact that he's merely 2D)

Well, Katawa Shoujo is not bad, honestly. Hisao found himself a new life with his new disabled friends. It would be a marvelous story if only the creator has given it more twists and shockers. About Hisao's personality, he's surely not the best nice guy out there, but he's human after all. The music is so-so (although some of them were nice). No voice acting surely is a drawback, but a good story could make up for it. Although I'm a little bit disturbed with Hisao's CGs, his art seems inconsistent and looked like different people between each CGs.

Considering how it came to be, it is very nicely put together - but I also feel like it gets too much credit exactly because of what it is. If I were to rate it as any other visual novel, I'd say it's a decent story with some nice ideas, generally nice art and nice sountrack.

It's an OELVN that tries too hard to be japanese, and I feel like I'd like it much more if it didn't.

Ahhah,my first vn also,to the guys who say that it want to be japanese-just read  "Beskonechnoe leto"that have been made by the group of enthusiasts from russian imagebord 2ch-it just so lame and THAT shit is surely "want to be japanese".

For me,katawa shoujo is that thing that opened me a world of vn's,and i remember how i was crying badly after Lilly rout.Seriously,that route have just awesome producing quality-i'm felt one with Hisao,pure immersion.Also,I dont know anything about vn specifics and branching,and simply chose variants by my heart,ended with a good end with Lilly from 1st try.Very proud of myself about it)It also very helped me a lot in my real life,because after reading it i'm started to improve as human being.

Art is somewhere stylish as hell,but overall art quality is 6/10 for me.Some routs(Yeah,Shizune)just screwed and not as cathy as others.Hanako's too short,especially.Music is quite catchy,as i downloaded soundtrack and listened to it nearly for 2 or 3 months.Hella of time passed,still think that this VN is best for someone who just got started reading them.

I love Katawa Shoujo, there's so many things that are done right. The characters feel real and are not the stupid preset personalities you see in every other visual novel. The music is fantastic, it perfectly sets the mood for the scenes. And the lack of voice acting is actually quite nice, after reading Katawa Shoujo I turned of the voices in the visual novels I read afterwards because I found them distracting, which they kind of are. It's kind of like watching a movie with subtitles, except not quite as annoying.