VN reading club - June 2015 (Yume Miru Kusuri)

Kurisu-Chan

Just dropped Nekoko's route to go onto Aeka's route.

I'm not having a good run with this vn. 

You definitely are not alone. This visual novel is filled with sex, has poor artistic design, not to mention pacing problems.

Oh and you could definitely tell JAST was getting sloppy with Aeka's route towards the end.

Despite all the things I have pointed out, and contrary to how I may have come across in an earlier post, I do not completely dislike this visual novel. It does have its redeeming qualities. Aeka's ending, I mean come on, how you could you not enjoy it even a little bit? I think the order I chose to read the routes (Mizuki->Nekoko->Aeka) was actually a good choice considering each route has it's own very distinct flavor, which I really enjoyed despite wanting Nekoko's route to just be over. 

Finally, after going back to the start, I got Mizuki's good end.

Which means I finally finished Mizuki's route.

Thoughts:

I don't know what to say, honestly. The route itself started off as something normal, y'know? Senpai-kouhai relationship. 'Help me, kouhai' would be a nice phrase to start it off. Of course, you're met with the senpai's 'true personality', which Kouhei refuses to come to terms with. First impressions do stick, y'know? At least, for a while.

I can't really think of anything in this route that might relate to whatever has happened to me in my 17 years of living, but eh. The relationship did feel a little rushed. Once again, the whole relationship started off from their curiosity with sex. It seems like sex is the main driving force of this VN's story. :makina: It's not even the guy who asks for it lol.

Anyway, this route, overall, really felt like a romance-themed one. More so than Aeka's, I believe. Though the presence of flaws are definitely noticeable, it didn't really prevent me from enjoying what I was reading. It's worth continuing despite the flaws, imo. Though it didn't really click with me that fast. I thought it was gonna be all about how lazy she really is; about how it's the opposite of the supposedly responsible senpai image that Kouhei had of her. But nope. It wasn't.

I was surprised at her lines back at the scene where Kouhei met her in the streets, honestly.

"There are many humans in this world.
Many in just this city, buy if you go somewhere else, you'll find more of them.
There are so many, and yet it's certain...
...That these people will die."
-Kirimiya Mizuki

It definitely resurrected my desire to finish her route. It made me interested in her character. Rather, it made me interested in what's inside her; interested in what's going on in her mind. I think it was worth the ride, honestly. You get to know more of who Kirimiya Mizuki is. You get to know her other side-----the wild senpai. Though the number of sex scenes really do disturb the flow of the story. At least, in my opinion. A visual novel this short doesn't really sit right with me, having that many.

Over the course of the route, you find her trying to live her life to the fullest. Trying a lot of stuff that they shouldn't really be trying in that time. Finally, that cigarette scene at the start of the novel bears some significance. Then, finally, that event in Macau comes. She makes it sound like it really was an accident caused by their intake of drugs, but if it didn't happen, then what could've happened would be no accident at all. It's a creepy feeling, having someone with you who's that desperate to escape something. So desperate that she considered killing herself using you. Since it'll be fine if it's you or something. That's really a creepy feeling, yeah. 

Then she finally shoots at you. She finally reveals her reason for doing the stuff she does. I can sort of understand why she'd fear sleeping. Not being able to visualize tomorrow... Though I admit that's a bit hard to pull off. Or is it hard imagining it because it's something that hasn't really happened to us? I'd have to go with the latter, honestly. I can't begin visualizing what it's like sleeping without knowing whether you'll be able to wake up tomorrow or not. Though I think it's generally like that. But not being able to visualize the future? That must be hard. Most of us, if not all, sleep without the certainty that we can still wake up tomorrow, yeah. We can make it through though, because we can actually think of what we might do tomorrow. That must be one of the greatest fears that one can have. It's not a matter of being scared of what's in front of you anymore. It's being scared of what you don't know. Of what you can't reach. Of what you can't do anything about. Of course, it sounds kinda, well, y'know, simple. But we'll never really know 'till we're the ones who experience it.

Actually, the first ending I got was the one where Mizuki died of toxemia due to pregnancy. That's after six months of being apart, yeah? I thought it was sad. Kinda like Hisoka's ending sad. But then, after getting the good end, it hit me even harder. I did not expect pregnancy in this visual novel. To be shoved face-first into a scene like that... I couldn't take it, honestly. I couldn't take it in a way that I got too emotional because of it. It's a topic that's hard to take in. Family. Or at least, building a family. This route felt special because it wasn't like those other routes that just gave them a good ending, then boom epilogue from after a few years, with a baby in their arms. It actually showed you pre-childbirth. The influx of emotions was just too much for me. It wasn't sad. Hardly that. It was actually happiness. It's really nice, that scene. I don't think I'm forgetting that ending any time soon. If there were other VNs with scenes like that in my list, I'd probably remember them too. But god. It's beautiful, that ending. 

My favorite line from the ending would probably be this.

"With those words...
Something inside of her finally dies.
...And something else is born."
-Kagami Kouhei, referring to Mizuki

I especially like it because of 'something being born'. I thought it was nice that they actually used childbirth as a metaphor to a new life inside Mizuki being created. Something that realizes that she actually has a future. And that she has nothing to be afraid of. That last CG of hers does justice too, in my opinion. She can finally rest easy because of the baby. It's something like a reminder for her that there will be a tomorrow, no matter what happens. It's really nice.

That ends my thoughts for Mizuki.

You definitely are not alone. This visual novel is filled with sex, has poor artistic design, not to mention pacing problems.

This is my main problem as well, honestly. But it's not something so grand.

I find it sad like half the people really disliked this.

I had a blast reading through it. Maybe it's just me being desensitized to it but I really did not feel the sex so eye popping and distracting.

For one, it made sense for most of the sex scenes to be where they are, and also most of them are really short and not too in depth. And of course some of them were pretty lewd.

I don't know I just wasn't bothered by any of the sex in this game like a lot of you seem to have been.

As for artistic direction, that's very hit and miss, the art was really all over the place, but I'm glad I'm on the side who easily got used to it.

Nekoko's route will forever remain my favorite because feels.

I find it sad like half the people really disliked this.

I had a blast reading through it. Maybe it's just me being desensitized to it but I really did not feel the sex so eye popping and distracting.

For one, it made sense for most of the sex scenes to be where they are, and also most of them are really short and not too in depth. And of course some of them were pretty lewd.

I don't know I just wasn't bothered by any of the sex in this game like a lot of you seem to have been.

As for artistic direction, that's very hit and miss, the art was really all over the place, but I'm glad I'm on the side who easily got used to it.

Nekoko's route will forever remain my favorite because feels.

It wasn't the sex that was distracting. It was the amount of sex in a certain measure of time. Of course, seeing that the visual novel is being as realistic as it can be, the amount would be normal, I guess. Considering how much other VNs have, the amount here may be considered a lot, seeing that it's also a short read.

But I'm on the side that's enjoying what they're reading. 

It wasn't the sex that was distracting. It was the amount of sex in a certain measure of time. 

This sums up my feeling on the H-Scenes.

I usually don't mind them and in this game the scenes usually do make sense in the story but they are simply occurring too often with not enough content in-between.

I'm gonna have to drop YMK for a bit.  I just...completely ran out of steam, for some reason.  It's not because I hate it, because I don't, I just need a bit of a break.

Gonna post about Aeka's route, or at least what I read of it.

It was said before, but the bullying seems to have been rather exaggerated.  I was verbally and emotionally bullied a lot in middle and high school, and admittedly some of the teachers didn't really care all that much or mete out harsh enough punishments, but in the US, if there is physical abuse going on under their nose and they don't do anything about it, they get fired and the school could possibly get sued if it can be proved that they were negligent.  The teachers are forced by the school administration to be rather proactive when it comes to physical abuse towards students for exactly that reason.  While physical bullying obviously still exists, I feel that the stuff in Aeka's route was highly exaggerated to ensure that the reader developed enough compassion towards her; I thought that the teachers somehow not realizing what was happening at any point in time was also incredibly unrealistic and straight up improbable.  Where the hell would kids get a strong stun gun disguised as a pen, anyway?  Even so, her predicament resonated quite deeply with me.  I wanted to strangle Kouhei for being so indecisive for no real reason, although I also understood his reasoning behind it, but that didn't really make it any better.

To me,

YmK worth to read,

well,

everything depend on Vn and person who read it.

Do you know?

To other community, discussion about YmK,

....... very bad, total no one like the Vn. (all bad mouth about YmK :makina:)

I guess........

is generation gap :makina: 

Wow, I almost never 100% visual novels and I actually made it through YmK. I'm rather surprised to see people skipping routes and dropping... especially if for a VN reading club discussion. I'm sad to say it, but I think that this month was a bit less organized than in previous months

I don't think the problem had anything to do with organization. We just happened to vote in something that some people happened not to like. It's no big deal, and it'll probably happen again, and it won't be a big deal then either. When it comes time for next month, maybe we'll make a wiser decision.

I don't think the problem had anything to do with organization. We just happened to vote in something that some people happened not to like. It's no big deal, and it'll probably happen again, and it won't be a big deal then either. When it comes time for next month, maybe we'll make a wiser decision.

I previously said

I'll join the Nekoko -> Aeka -> Mizuki club

Though from where I'm at atm I'm interested in Aeka so maybe do Aeka -> Mizuki -> Nekoko

~~

Art style is naturally, a bit dated for me but I was still able to luv good ol' orchestral storm (symphonic rain) so it's not bothering me too much

Let's see what you think of the art style.  Apparently some people hate it, and some people love it.

I think it's more accurate to say that everybody (every post that I recall reading, at least) agrees it is hit-and-miss. Sometimes it's quite pretty, and sometimes it just looks off and weird, for character art. For background art, there hasn't been as much discussion, but I find it similarly hit-and-miss; sometimes it's detailed and nice, sometimes it's super bland.

Wow, I almost never 100% visual novels and I actually made it through YmK. I'm rather surprised to see people skipping routes and dropping... especially if for a VN reading club discussion. I'm sad to say it, but I think that this month was a bit less organized than in previous months

what does the organization of this event has anything to do with the visual novel not being liked? what do you mean by less organized in the first place?

We voted a vn and now we discuss it, there isn't much else to analyze here :/

So I finished Aeka's route last night and here are my thoughts on it.

Contrary to the other routes I actually really enjoyed this route. I felt that the story was very well done and pretty realistic (besides the teachers involvement). what makes this route stand out from the other is that I was never once bored playing it and the H-Scenes for this route avoided the problem bogging down the other routes by being less frequent and giving us more time in between them. In particular I loved how there where none in the climax of the route, that I felt really helped convey how serious the situation was and how Kouhei and Aeka's relationship had ascended beyond what it started out as

Aeka herself was a very likeable heroine and I legitimately pitied her plight and Najou was a complete bitch who I was glad hot her comeuppance so mission accomplished writers.

Guys, here it is, just a few days left.

Now it's time, it's time for your final thoughts about Yume Miru Kusuri, feel free to speak about the VN Freely, and give us your sincere review of the VN, the cons, the pros, what you liked, what you hated.

And of course, the end poll is near, don't worry. 

Oh yeah. I forgot to post.

Finished Nekoko's route yesterday.

I'm not going to write anything long this time. It's because this route felt like the shortest for me. However, even though it was short (around 2~hours, more or less), it was pretty much satisfying. The whole route wasn't just about Nekoko, of course. It was about Kouhei too. It was pretty nice how they made drugs something like an escape route from them being nobodies. Though it is wrong, it is somewhat a realistic option that some people would take, yes. It's wrong though. I'm glad that Kouhei was right in the mind, not succumbing to the pleasure that the drugs gave him. He saved Nekoko from her being eaten up by the influence of the drugs. Good thing she wasn't. Or I just didn't get the bad ending. Nekoko being the librarian was pretty obvious, imo. The route was something like a journey, you know. Something like soul-searching. It was really nice.

The ending was really sweet. I couldn't help tearing up when she acted as Nekoko again. That was too much for me. I'd probably react the same way Kouhei did. I'm ashamed to say that I already forgot her true name lol. Oh well.

"I've finally found my fairy's home."

-Sakurai Hiroko

I like this quote. After all, it can refer to a lot of stuff. Something that we've been desperately searching for. I'm glad Hiroko found hers.

My route ranking would be this: Mizuki > Nekoko > Aeka.

I won't rank the girls. This is one VN I'd prefer not to.

Final impressions? Probably later this week.

Really?

I found Mizuki's route really boring and direction-less (mind you I haven't finished it). Anything in particular that you liked about it more than Aeka's?

It felt more realistic. The problem was handled pretty well, too. If you haven't reached the part wherein Kouhei finds her in the middle of the city looking at people, then you haven't started the main part of her route yet. It's basically just normal interactions with senpai at the start, so it might be directionless at that part, yes. Though I cannot understand how the route was boring, since I wasn't really bored with it. Maybe because I read it in one sitting too? Other than that, the series of events really put into focus her problem. Though it might have not been dealt with until after the climax, there's this feeling that the two of them slowly become closer and closer. I don't know. I can't explain it all too well. All I know is her ending holds a special place in my heart. The problem she needed to deal with was also my favorite, out of the three. 

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I really liked Aeka's route, but I just liked Mizuki's better.

Aeka's my favorite though.

Just finished Aeka's route... and with that... YMK as a whole.

Aeka's route pissed me off, if only because bullying really gets to me. I found myself time and time again gritting my teeth watching as Aeka, and later on, Kouhei, got bullied in various ways. You don't even want to know the sick grin I got from them choking the life out of Nanjou. Seriously, it was like every angst infused daydream I had back in middle school fulfilled.

Just finished Aeka's route... and with that... YMK as a whole.

Aeka's route pissed me off, if only because bullying really gets to me. I found myself time and time again gritting my teeth watching as Aeka, and later on, Kouhei, got bullied in various ways. You don't even want to know the sick grin I got from them choking the life out of Nanjou. Seriously, it was like every angst infused daydream I had back in middle school fulfilled.

This. I felt almost the same. It's just that I could not really find joy in them doing what they did by the ending of the route. I just can't get joy out from something like that.

Also, I share your sentiments regarding JAST's TL, but I didn't complain anymore. There were also times when Mizuki's line says 'boy', even though she's calling Kouhei 'Kagami'. That was the most annoying part for me.