VN reading club - June 2015 (Yume Miru Kusuri)

Kurisu-Chan

I like how they talk about aeka when you are doing the other girls routes, "she tried to commit suicide...not a big problem, she is fine...or not...who knows. Well now continue with the story" Again, this is why I don't like vns with multiple stories.

I really liked that as well. The feels, man. It makes me look forward to when I play her route and can finally be a decent human being.

Uhh no offense but this VN might not be really for you. I believe it requires some degree of understanding and looking from the perspective on the heroines since they each have their own problems. Maybe it needs a little bit of experience and affected by the environment you grew up in but that's just me.

First off, Nekoko's route:

I haven't read the bad end so I can't comment on that but if you managed to predict who she really is then you're either observant to subtle hints or didn't get engrossed to the story, and I believe it's the latter. There are enough hints to deduce who she really is but it seems you managed it from a bit of guesswork and cliches. 

Next up, Aeko's route:

As for not banding up together, it started with just Aeka in their first day, and Antoinette already had a lot of connections back then. No one would think of acting out and being the white knight since you'll be taking the brunt of Antoinette' and her cronies' torture. As for his friends, they're the same and just didn't want to destroy their school life themselves. Also, when Antoinette turned against the protag, they stayed neutral instead of open hostility, I think.

Idk if you didn't go for the good end but if you chose to stay inside then, you'll be looking for pics that Aeka wanted. It just simply means that her mental state was really volatile at that point and you can pretty much guess it from her eccentric thinking. I believe this is the byproduct of the mental and physical torture she experiences from her school, and she can't even rest at her own home.

And about your question, I think it's just a way to get back at Gaito for cheating on her. I don't think she felt any sort of affection for the protag in the first place since he was also included in the roof incident.

If you aren't enjoying the two then you might throw out your monitor on Mizuki's route. Tbh it's the worst out of the three and based from your the VNs you mentioned, your taste is geared towards the action genre and not this kind of emotional trainwrecks.

Well these are just my thoughts and feel free to disregard them. 

I'll definitely finish off the Visual Novel, the completionist in me pretty much says that I need to 100% the game. I don't necessarily like only action VN's, I only brought that up since I just finished those, and just noted a comparison. I have actually read what you would call "Emotional" VNs, if Grisaia no Kajitsu/Symphonic Rain/Swan Song count. I just felt like there was little to no character development, and lots of unanswered questions. To me it feels incomplete.

As for the Library girl, I wouldn't say it was because I wasn't engrossed per say, I mean the character showed up numerous times, interacted with the MC, there was always this "I have no information on Nekoko", and then the Library girl would always react weirdly to the MC. I think the biggest hint which tipped me off was "I want to close the library because I have somewhere to meet up".

Either way, I do acknowledge what the Visual Novel was trying to accomplish, I just believed it was executed poorly, I hope Mizuki's route is better. I also wished the sound track was catchy or atleast memorable, even to this day I go back to older VNs I've completed to listen to the music, but nothing here has captivated me.

Either way, I'll post back with my opinions when I finish the Mizuki's route.

I'll definitely finish off the Visual Novel, the completionist in me pretty much says that I need to 100% the game. I don't necessarily like only action VN's, I only brought that up since I just finished those, and just noted a comparison. I have actually read what you would call "Emotional" VNs, if Grisaia no Kajitsu/Symphonic Rain/Swan Song count. I just felt like there was little to no character development, and lots of unanswered questions. To me it feels incomplete.

As for the Library girl, I wouldn't say it was because I wasn't engrossed per say, I mean the character showed up numerous times, interacted with the MC, there was always this "I have no information on Nekoko", and then the Library girl would always react weirdly to the MC. I think the biggest hint which tipped me off was "I want to close the library because I have somewhere to meet up".

Either way, I do acknowledge what the Visual Novel was trying to accomplish, I just believed it was executed poorly, I hope Mizuki's route is better. I also wished the sound track was catchy or atleast memorable, even to this day I go back to older VNs I've completed to listen to the music, but nothing here has captivated me.

Either way, I'll post back with my opinions when I finish the Mizuki's route.

I don't know why everyone hates the Mizuki's route, true it wasn't as good as aeka's or nekoko's but still it was really good imo.

compared to the problems of the other girls her story was a bit...common or dull maybe, she didn't suffer from drug addictions or bullying but her problem was really similar to nekoko's but she wasn't as charming as her so that's why her story didnt have the same impact, still for me it was really good.

I just read Aeka's route and I'm still somewhat disappointed in this VN. It's not bad, but not very good either.

I have hard time explaining why I don't like YMK that much, but I can point out few things that bother me.

• The routes I've read (Mizuki's and especially Aeka's) have weird pacing problem. The beginning is comedy which turns in to kind of stale relationship drama and then the story picks up at the end. The middle part kind of dragged on too much, but luckily the serious and darker parts in the end finally brought the story together. I enjoyed reading YMK in those fucked up situations, otherwise it was pretty mediocre.
  • There was too many H-scenes in my opinion. I appreciated the escapism factor, that's a pretty good way to tie sex in to the story, but they went kind of overboard. Some of the H-scenes just distracted me from the story, and they could have used other ways to show affection or seeking shelter in someone.
  • I feel like the characterization, build up and overall narrative wasn't really that good. I can't really explain why, but I just felt that way. To me the story felt kind of flat. I could see the problems of the characters and such, but it never made me really care. The writing failed to capture something important. Some of the events felt like little disconnected and weren't that interesting. Even though the latter parts of both routes were great, the overall story is pretty meh.

I still need to read Nekoko's route, maybe that will help to clarify my thoughts.

You didn't have your VNDB link in your profile so I just went on with what you provided, sorry. 

I have to disagree with little to no character development tho.

After all, they managed to overcome their problems in the end. Nekoko's is very explicit since she managed to stop using drugs and have a very successful life. Aeka's might be interpreted as running away but she still managed to move on so that's enough character development to me. Plus, fixing her relationships with the other people is out of the question. They physically and mentally tortured Aeka enough to drive her to suicide. Aeka also almost got raped and in retaliation, they almost killed Antoinette. To me that's too much to be water under the bridge. Finally, in both routes, the protag finally added enough spice in his life to stop the manifestation of the 'phantom train' he keeps on hearing prior to the middle/end. That was what he always wanted so I think that's certainly enough. There are some more but I believe this is enough of a character development for a VN with this length.

Props to you for being able to figure out who Nekoko is even while engrossed to the story. I didn't notice it enough since her reactions aren't weird enough if you read enough dialog from Nekoko, and their number of interactions can be counted in one hand, I think.

I agree with the music to be lacking. They reused tracks enough to get it stuck in your head, the bad way. They even use it in strange matchings, at some points. I can't seem to understand what you meant by they executed it poorly. I agree that they did fail at some parts but I believe they did a great job overall of portraying the different problems the heroines had, which is the core of the VN, I think. By no means am I implying that what I say is correct but rather curious as to what I might've overlooked.

VNDB, is that like Myanimelist for anime?

personally i found them routes to be abit too rushed, overall pacing could have been better - especially in neko´s route. & them cut out/non existing sisters route (for whatever reason) striked me harder than hard. wasted potential ahoi!

the route I like

Nekoko > Aeka > Mizuki

well, In mizuki route, around middle of route, i quite lost and don't know what going on (forget which part it is)..... because of that mizuki route is my most lowest favorite.

About Nekoko route, I really like the story plot and how the ending .

The ending really make me really happy.... even now i still remember the ending ......

I also really felt like his sister should have had a route in one way or another.

It didn't have to be a romance route, but I found the dynamic between the two siblings really fun to watch and I wanted a route that focused on them a little.

Exactly, Aya was an amazing character, and so was Tsubaki, I'm sure Aya should have been given her own route, I mean it would have worked, as shown in Aeko's route when:

Aya speaks about Aeko and says something like "I'll give up then", and gives the MC her "blessing". I mean it was obvious she held feelings towards the MC.

a route with her sister?

for incest and fan-service purpose only...if any there should be a route for his whole family not only his sister...

Not really, Aya was an interesting character and it would be nice to have a route where the protagonist didn't fix his own problems by finding a girlfriend, but rather by working out his problems with his family, in which Aya could have been at the center, not necessarly an incest route, but a family route.

His family problems seemed to be much more prevalent in his life and it's a bit weird how him finding a girlfriend actually fixed them, so a route revolving around his sister and family wouldn't be a terrible idea.

But I get that Yume Miru Kusuri is about girls problems, not our protagonist's problems.

Not really, Aya was an interesting character and it would be nice to have a route where the protagonist didn't fix his own problems by finding a girlfriend, but rather by working out his problems with his family, in which Aya could have been at the center, not necessarly an incest route, but a family route.

His family problems seemed to be much more prevalent in his life and it's a bit weird how him finding a girlfriend actually fixed them, so a route revolving around his sister and family wouldn't be a terrible idea.

But I get that Yume Miru Kusuri is about girls problems, not our protagonist's problems.

Well then you are talking about him and his problem with his whole family not only his sister, it sounds cool but what vn focus only on that without having a romance in the middle with a girl? and the most approachable way to do it is for him to start looking at aya not in a family-sibling way, just the same way she looked at him most of the time in the novel, thus incest in the middle...if you are asking for anything else then you are asking this vn to be something it never was in the first place.

All this talk about Aya made me think that it would really have been good idea to get a better closure on his family problem rather than an indirect effect from having a relationship. While a specific route is possible, putting it in the common route would be another choice. I personally think that it would've been easier to get a relationship when you already have one problem solved and it is relative to getting a girlfriend. It would be pretty awkward to introduce your possible wife to your family you don't feel close with.

Aya and Tsubaki are great supporting characters. A little more attention and maybe side stories with them wouldn't be a bad idea.

YMK had pacing issues, yeah, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

In Aeka's route, the romance kind of dragged on towards the middle. It just wasn't interesting enough- I think the pacing must have been off. There were a lot of parts in YMK that drag on actually and that includes the sex scenes, but some scenes were really great.

The scene where Aeka was naked and about to kill herself was really emotional and noteworthy. The scene near the end where Kouhei stops her from getting raped was really good too. The bullying was so....horrible. I just can't believe people can do that to one another.

It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Using stun-pens, nearly raping a girl, and assaulting her boyfriend....not to mention all the small acts of bullying or when they force Aeka to strip. The teacher wouldn't help either...I'm really glad my school wasn't like that.

An Aya route would have been interesting. A route dealing with Kouhei's own family issues is something I would have liked to see. Although, not a lot of VNs do that with the exception of Amagami, I think.

Just out of curiosity, how long do the routes go for after the final choice?

I just went past choice number 14 in Mizuki's route and the plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

It's considerably long I suppose since the resolution and epilogue makes up that part. The term 'long' I used here is relative to the length of the VN ofc.

It would be pretty awkward to introduce your possible wife to your family you don't feel close with.

Aya and Tsubaki are great supporting characters. A little more attention and maybe side stories with them wouldn't be a bad idea.

Then just don't do it who cares about his parents opinion anyway especially if love is involved  :sachi:

We need a Stepsister route ! 

Finished Nekoko's route.

I only really enjoyed Nekoko's route once her true identity was revealed. Everything up to there was just boring or uncomfortable. After that point, it became more relatable and even a little bit bittersweet. Mercifully, I got the good ending (though it was pretty hard to screw it up on this route); I'm pretty sure I saw where the bad ending would go, and I would not have liked it at all.

The finale of the good ending was also... kind of lame. The idea of a recently-reformed drug addict teenager being put in charge of designing all the fantasy elements of an amusement park just didn't work for me - my suspension of disbelief had too hard a time with it.

For me, pretty much the only thing this route had going for it was that Hiroko was likeable and relatable, once she opened up a bit. I found her alter ego to pretty much just be annoying, and I found the comedy to be too repetitive. Still too many H scenes, as well, though I think not nearly as many as Mizuki's route.

On to Aeka's route. Sadly, I'm mostly looking forward to it just so I can be done with this VN and move on to read something both better and more to my taste...

Finished Nekoko's route.

I only really enjoyed Nekoko's route once her true identity was revealed. Everything up to there was just boring or uncomfortable. After that point, it became more relatable and even a little bit bittersweet. Mercifully, I got the good ending (though it was pretty hard to screw it up on this route); I'm pretty sure I saw where the bad ending would go, and I would not have liked it at all.

The finale of the good ending was also... kind of lame. The idea of a recently-reformed drug addict teenager being put in charge of designing all the fantasy elements of an amusement park just didn't work for me - my suspension of disbelief had too hard a time with it.

For me, pretty much the only thing this route had going for it was that Hiroko was likeable and relatable, once she opened up a bit. I found her alter ego to pretty much just be annoying, and I found the comedy to be too repetitive. Still too many H scenes, as well, though I think not nearly as many as Mizuki's route.

On to Aeka's route. Sadly, I'm mostly looking forward to it just so I can be done with this VN and move on to read something both better and more to my taste...

aeka's was the most believable route of all of them imo and the best one so maybe you will like it.

aeka's was the most believable route of all of them imo and the best one so maybe you will like it.

Haven't played Aeka's route yet but I'm looking forward to it. Mizuki's route wasn't totally out there, but Nekoko's route wasn't something I would try to classify as believable lol

The majority of Nekoko's route was hellishly boring, there's no way something like that could be believable in any sense of word.