VN reading club - June 2015 (Yume Miru Kusuri)

Kurisu-Chan

On 1/28/2016 at 4:28 AM, Stormwolf said:

Protagonist made me wish someone would murder him at certain points

Why? :o 

I just finished Aeka route and I was really impressed. I went here looking for a small VN, with 'around 7' quality, but this route was really damn good written. It had fun, it had a lots of great tension, it had a thrills, lots of variable emotions, it was great. 8.7/10.

But I'm affraid rest of the game won't be that good. I have a trauma from Katawa houjo and I hate going as my protagonist to student council room and that busty girl route seems to be at the begginign nothing but this.
Also I like theme of bullying, I like feel miserable and sympathize with characters, and don't like a drug abuse theme. And I have no idea what's a theme in Student Council route.
So, while first part was great I still keep my expectations in check for the rest of the game.

Because he was such a coward. He promised Aeka to protect her since she was going to commit suicide, yet he did not do shit and looked the other way until it was almost too late. I do admit that when it became good it was good. I liked the Mizuki's route best though. Look forward to it!

I read thorugh most of the common route, focused on Mizuki and I HATE HER. What a annoying person. I hate that type of characters, tossing work on protag, clinging to him, and just simly using him. ANd that horrible first, out of nowhere h-scene. Pure cancer. I am amazed how a great VN after first route can suddenly turn this bad. But maybe it will redeem intself in her route...

Good look finding a protagonist that isn't a masochist though. But her route is good. So many girls are absolute dogshit during common routes, and they either change or you get a different impression during their routes. She did annoy me at times as well for the same reasons, but at the end of the route, hers was the one i liked the best and definitely had the best ending.

4 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

This game would be Kamige if it had a

Reveal hidden contents

Antoinette

route. 

Oh yeah, that would be really interesting!

Anyway I finished Mizuki... Worst route I read since Hoshizora. Inconsitent, shallow mess, without any specific theme, with so much plotfarts, and pure WTF moments

Spoiler

that trip to HK was just... just HOW?!

also with really annoyingly stupid, spoiled and shallow heroine 

Spoiler

her whole 'drama' was just laughably bad, just go to the psyhologists, god dammnit!

which never redeems herself. I disliked her from the start, (because I don't like things like big boobs, student council work, and people ordering others around, and she had all of those 3), and I disliked her at the end, when she suddenly 

Spoiler

pop up and after months of no contact said that protag has a baby with her, so hurr durr, I'm back

Also - h-scenes were much worse than in Aeka route, cringeworthy and their frequency was just to high.
Also 2 - albeit it's short in lenght, this route kept me bored at few times.

From the good things:

- Aya is really great supporting character. More of them in VNs please. 
- That 'balcony scene'. It was awesome. *But awesomenes lasted from entering the room to the pool, before and after this it was baffling).

To sum up:
If YMK would be a short VN consisting only A Mizuki route, I would rate it 4/10.

And it's really bothersome that other routes makes protag a dick towards Aeka. But well, can't help that, so it's minor problem overall.
Onto Nekoko, in which I have a hopes to redeem this game. I hope for a consistent and thematically stron route, cause Nekoko seems to be interesting character.

EDIT:
Oh, and I did a 'regular bad end'. And it spoiled me Nekoko rout, with her being a 

Spoiler

Librarian

thanks a lot authors! -_-'

Her theme would be severe anxiety where she needed something to snap out of it. Not uncommon in real life either im sure. But yes, you make valid points about much of what you say. The sudden trip was silly, but the scenes were god. Still it was the route i liked the best of the three. Aeka would be second. And it feels like they really wanted to create a Aya route, but just didnt do it. 

Vorathiel, I'm curious

- if you used a guide

- whether you played Mitsuki's bad end

- if so, what order you played the ends in

I wasn't using a guide initially, and my choices led me to Mitsuki's bad end, which hit me like a truck. If you didn't have that same experience, I would bet the experience of Mitsuki's route would not be as good.

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Vorathiel, I'm curious

- if you used a guide

- whether you played Mitsuki's bad end

- if so, what order you played the ends in

I wasn't using a guide initially, and my choices led me to Mitsuki's bad end, which hit me like a truck. If you didn't have that same experience, I would bet the experience of Mitsuki's route would not be as good.

1) Yeah, I used it. Just as usuall - first playthrough in blind (I ended with Aeka), next ones with guide.
2) Of course I did. 
3) Aeka bad end (early one) -> Aeka good end -> Aeka bad end (the second one, impossible to achieve while playing with common sense) -> 'regular bad end' -> Mitsuki bad end -> M good end.

I suppose it would hit me more if I would got bad ending unknowingly. But I don't think it would hit me with 'feels', rather... laughter maybe? Hard to say, but it wasn't a 'strong' ending. It was rushed, it was delivered in one sentence from the narrator, and now you had to feel something. Even when I knew I'm going for a bad end, it's simplicity, rushedness, shortness, and 'out-of-nowhereness' just surprised me and not in a positive way. 

PS - Nekoko is nearly as bad, sigh. (I'm almost in the middle).

• 11 months later...

Man the conversations here are awesome.

Yume Miru Kusuri, would play this shit again and again just for Aeka Shiraki.

This novel was definitely one of first few faves I had when I first started reading vns and like most of  have said the rest of the routes.... Well....

I would rather not touch on how psychadelic it can become..... On the H-Scenes.....

(Aeka's H scenes are awesome though)

Not all of them are bad though,

Here are my thoughts on the routes:

[Aeka's Route]

Aeka's route really connected with me cause I was once bullied to as a kid, and her route development was just pure satisfaction, plus the ending was simply sublime and perfect in my books.

I liked how the main character depicted how us humans have problems commiting and selflessly move away from our comfort zone for other's sake. But when we have a resolve we also have the ability to see it through. 

I like how the novel depicted the realism of getting bullied, about how hard it is to ask for help and even if you do it might either turn worst or they disregard you to save their own skin. The novel really drown you in the feeling of realism when you realize not everything will go the way just wanted (this applies to all routes).

And the ending really hit home with me, because as you grow older you will realize sometimes you need extreme measures to change a situation. And these situation always come with consequences that will put you in a setback in life, but that can not stop you from keep on improving yourself and working towards the future.

[Nekoko's Route]

Nekoko on the other well was a real fun roller coaster ride, after the great joy ride you will realize you will have to face reality sooner or later. Which brought a lot of realism to the topic on drugs. Her ending though was beautiful, I find that ending was rather charming and something I would definitely remember along with Aeka's ending.

[Mitsuki's Route]

Well she really aint much of my type, so my opinions can be biased but nevertheless this route never cease to amaze me in their "outworldly" H scenes next to nekoko. Like how??? I can't really enjoy this route cause it just never connected to me, honestly speaking she was the type of character I would never associate myself too even in IRL.

But overall this vn holds a very special place in my heart being one of the most realistic VNs at that time (except the H scenes) coupled with good music and bgm. Defenitely a good read.

Edited by Weis13