7. Darker than Black

6. Neon Genesis

5. Serial Experiments: Lain

4. Haibane Renmei

3. One Piece

2. Madoka Magica

1. Fate/Zero

I try to keep it classy, but One Piece just slipped in there somehow :D/>

Nice top ten, most of those are in my personal god tier. All but One Piece, F/Z and Lain, (I do like them though) and Haibane Ranmei which I haven't seen yet (damn I have the DVDs waiting for me on my shelf!).

A bit difficult/lazy to come up with a top ten, so I'll just list ten in no particular order:

- Doraemon

- Minky Momo

- Yuu Yuu Hakusho

- Maison Ikkoku

- Madoka (great to see it's on so many people's lists!)

- Tokyo Magnitude

- Sola

... And I can't even make up ten! Don't want to just put anything on there, so yeah, mission failed :lol:.

I just finished the Madoka Magica anime.. Had to add that to my top anime list..

The ending and the twists were good.. I never really expected any of that from an anime of majou shoujo genre..

You'd be surprised by what some mahou shoujo can pull B) Even stuff more regular than madoka.

Of course there's not so much suffering, because it's not Urobuchi but...

Well, they're not in order, because I honestly wouldn't know how to order them:

-Dragon Ball

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

-Death Note

-Elfen Lied

-Fushigi Yugi

-Orphen

-Ranma

-Rurouni Kenshin

-Slam Dunl

-Yu Yu Hakusho

I would put a lot more of animes, but it's supposed to be a top ten, so I'll hold back a little

You'd be surprised by what some mahou shoujo can pull B)/> Even stuff more regular than madoka.

Of course there's not so much suffering, because it's not Urobuchi but...

Madoka magica changed my view of the mahou shoujo genre..

I was always classifying them as too girly for me to watch, but not anymore.. I think I'll be watching out for mehou shoujo anime in the future..

Don't think I have 10....

- Twelve Kingdoms

- Simoun

- Cross Game

- Ore no Imouto

- Madoka Magica

- Suzumiya Haruhi

- Spice & Wolf

- Angel Beats

- Ookiku Furikabutte

- Honey & Clover

- Dennou Coil

had to cheat a bit by using myanimelist.net....

best episode of anime ever created:

- episode 01 of Clannad After Story

In no specific order

Banner of the Stars - Crest of the Stars

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Zipang

Berserk (Although I wished more out of it...)

The Twelve Kingdoms - Juuni Kokki

Type-Moon stuffs

Full metal alchemist + Brotherhood + movie

Gankutsuou

Angel Beats

GTO

Is it horrid to add My little Pony?

- Dennou Coil

Oh, I totally forgot about this one! Great cyber-scifi show that starts out like a gentle slice-of-life show about little kids in the near future, but then very slowly builds to a climax and by the end of the show I was on the edge of my seat watching it

Well little late to the party hahaha but I'll share my top ten, rough 1-10:

Kara no Kyoukai

Sakamichi no Apollon

NANA (forever on Hiatus </3)

Paradise Kiss

Mushishi (too bad they only animated the first 6 volumes of the manga)

Spice and Wolf (buying the books every time they come out too)

Fate Unlimited Blade Works (not the show or zero)

Shuffle! (way better than the VN, probably the only time I think it's ever happened)

Samurai Champloo (Got me interested in Japanese History ahahhaaha)

Spirited Away or Hotarubi no Mori e

Going to drop a bomb, but Clannad imo is over hyped. Like half of KEY's other works. Just an opinion not going to rant about it.

And no xxxHolic is not in my top ten hahaha

Going to drop a bomb, but Clannad imo is over hyped. Like half of KEY's other works. Just an opinion not going to rant about it.

And no xxxHolic is not in my top ten hahaha

haha your not the first person to say that and you sure wont be the last. Its a matter of preference i guess. I loved the characters and the emotional storyline of Clannad. Not everyone does ;)

Xxxholic isn't in my top 10 either but its up there. I thought it was such a great anime.

Just going to start off I rate my list based on the writing, story, characters, and most importantly deeper and metaphorical/allegorical meanings the show has. The more time I spent thinking about an anime and all the points it succeeded in conveying, the higher it is on my list. That said I'm still working on it and have only organized my top 6, so the order wont matter for 7-10. I'll also list a sentence for why I liked the show, or what it got me thinking about the most. Although truth be told I could write essays, and in some cases even books on why I though some of these animes were as good as they are, so by condensing my thoughts to a mere sentence I'm really simplifying my reasons. Anyway here I go:

1) Naoki Urasawa's Monster. (Its a complete masterpiece and I'm still deciphering some of the meanings it presented).

2)Berserk. (Really got me to consider Man's Ambition).

3)Kaiji (Season 1). (I interpreted most of the show to be an Allegory for Capitalism, wont say more then that).

4) Neon Genesis Evanglion. (Don't think I need to say much about this one since I'm assuming most people have watched it).

5) Serial Experiments Lain. (Actually in terms of metaphors and symbolism this show could have made it a bit higher on the list, but the other animes were solid stories as well, while this anime felt very experimental. Which is why its at 5, still a damn good anime though).

6)Akagi the Genius Who Descended Into darkness . ( I interpreted Akagi as the physical embodiment of Gambling itself).

This is where I haven't really organized my list in terms of quality, so I suppose this half of the list will be dedicated for anime I enjoyed, but didn't feel was up to par with the anime in 1-6.

7) Death Note

8) Code Geass

9)Haruhi Suzumiya, (in particularly The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya).

10) Kanon, (First anime that actually got me to treat anime more than mere entertainment, so this entry is pretty personal. Also as much as I liked Air, and Clannad they still couldn't best Kanon in my opinion).

Just going to start off I rate my list based on the writing, story, characters, and most importantly deeper and metaphorical/allegorical meanings the show has. The more time I spent thinking about an anime and all the points it succeeded in conveying, the higher it is on my list. That said I'm still working on it and have only organized my top 6, so the order wont matter for 7-10. Anyway here I go:

Great list. That's exactly why I try to avoid saying one anime is better then another. If you see my list i posted on here i just named 10 I thought were good and some extra ones for the hell of it. There have been so many great Anime that to put any into a top 10 would be difficult. If you look at my MAL you'll see what i mean.

My stance on Anime is simple. Don't go into it with high expectations and you'll be surprised how great it can be.

Great list. That's exactly why I try to avoid saying one anime is better then another. If you see my list i posted on here i just named 10 I thought were good and some extra ones for the hell of it. There have been so many great Anime that to put any into a top 10 would be difficult. If you look at my MAL you'll see what i mean.

My stance on Anime is simple. Don't go into it with high expectations and you'll be surprised how great it can be.

I should honestly follow that same rule, although if I see a review of the anime it's hard for me not to have expectations. I should read less reviews. :P Your very right about when you realize how great an anime can be. That's the reason I believe spots on a top ten list are temporary, because there will always be something that comes along that will replace another anime's place on the list. And that's the reason why I believe people watch anime, to find one, (whether they expect it to be as good as it is or not) that they enjoyed as much if not even more than animes they loved previously.

ooh 10? In no order whasoever (mostly movies, but whatever)

Bakemonogatari

Seitokai no Ichizon

Saki -Saki-

Shin Sekai Yori

Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho

Hoshi no Koe

5 Centimeters per second

Pale Cocoon

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 (until 3.0 comes out)

Kara no Kyoukai (Counts as 1 or 7?)

i'm starting to get the feeling that i am the only person here who didn't like evangelion. it wasn't even like it was one of the anime's that i stopped at episode 4, me and a friend watched the original series from start to finish, and then watched the movie. can someone explain the appeal? i don't get it.

i'm starting to get the feeling that i am the only person here who didn't like evangelion. it wasn't even like it was one of the anime's that i stopped at episode 4, me and a friend watched the original series from start to finish, and then watched the movie. can someone explain the appeal? i don't get it.

I don't think I'll convince you to like it, since it is impossible to persuade someone to change their personal taste; but I can tell you why I thought it was a brilliant series. To start off, what I really liked about the series were the characters, (especially Shinji, even though most people hate him).

All of the characters suffered from a feeling of deeply rooted loneliness. However, they all had different ways of dealing with their loneliness. In fact it's not until around the mid-end of the series that you start discovering how all these very different characters share so much in common, and how all their different fears stem from their mutual fear of loneliness. I especially liked how they turned two characters that were originally completely different from each other, (Shinji and Asuka) and by the end of the series they showed us how similar they really were. Yet despite Shinji and Asuka's similar problem, they both developed completely different thinking patterns around that common problem.

That is what I loved about Evangelion, how it was about people, and while on the exterior they may seem very different, deep down in their subconscious they are actually very similar. That is the briefest answer I can provide. If you want I could write an essay for you. :P/>