Poll: Expanding the Community Blog project

Community Blog survey  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support expansion of the Community Blog project to resemble a community Fuwazette?

• Yes! Please devote the necessary resources to make this happen!
    • No! Those resources would be better used elsewhere!
    • Maybe. I'm not sure, or I don't really use the Community Blog feature as it is.
  2. 2. Do you currently use the Community Blog feature?

• I write blog entries.
    • I read blog entries.
    • I don't write or read blog entries, but I might sometime in the future.
    • I don't write or read blog entries. The feature doesn't interest me.

This poll is closed to new votes

I've been a big proponent for the community blog project, and one of its major users.  I've also provided a great deal of feedback on the project over the past few weeks.  I think the project has been successful, and holds a great deal of promise.  But I think we're beginning to reach the limit of what can be simply retrofitted onto the existing framework.  To improve this feature, more resources will have to be devoted, and the scope of the project itself will have to be reassessed.  This is something that can't happen without the enthusiastic support of the Fuwanovel community.

I present a poll to assess whether you all think this feature should be expanded.  I imagine a centralized area, similar to the old FuwaReviews, where Fuwanovel users can freely post blog content with minimal or no oversight (basically unedited and unmoderated, similar to how the feature currently works).  The look and feel of it would resemble Fuwazette, with the difference being that this would be a community blogging area where bloggers would be responsible for their own content (no oversight from Zakamutt or anyone else).  The reason I think this will work where FuwaReviews community submissions failed is that there's no onus on anyone in particular to impose quality standards.  Bloggers will be responsible for their own content, and they'll sink or swim on the merits of their content and charisma.  One of the major advantages of this solution over the current framework would be use of Wordpress to spam-filter comments from users who aren't registered on the Fuwanovel forums, making these "true" blogs.

To impose as little a bandwidth strain / server cost on Fuwanovel as possible, this area might be ad-supported, and/or the features would be more restricted compared to Fuwazette (i.e., you can't host images on Fuwanovel, you can only link from sites like imgur).

Please fill out the poll and post your feedback on whether you would support such an expansion of the Community Blog feature. 

To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with the current setup... I honestly don't see any reason to change how the blogs are set up currently...  though I'm sure others will disagree.  Also, communities that keep adding bulk inevitably have troubles later.

To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with the current setup... I honestly don't see any reason to change how the blogs are set up currently...  though I'm sure others will disagree.  Also, communities that keep adding bulk inevitably have troubles later.

The functionality of the community blogs is somewhat restricted.  One of the main issues I have is that currently users have to register on the Fuwanovel forums to post comments.  This is not how blogs typically work, and unfortunately this tends to inhibit feedback and lessen reader engagement.  I want the community blogs to be open to public, anonymous commenters without registration. As others have pointed out, allowing unregistered users to post comments could create a spam issue which IPB is not equipped to handle.  But Wordpress is.  IPB isn't really designed for blogging; Wordpress is a more powerful tool that's designed specifically for this task.

The one advantage of the current community blog feature is how easy it is to use, especially since it works basically the same way the forums do.  Wordpress formatting is a headache, so I could see why some people would be reluctant to migrate for that reason alone.