Looking For Science Fiction Visual Novels

SakuyaSato

Hello~

I'm rather new to visual novels and have been seeking out visual novels that are both darker stylisicly and take place in interesting settings or with unique sets of characters. I've been interested in science fiction/cyberpunk or dystopian themed stories recently, though if you think of something outside of those genres I would enjoy regardless, I will certainly look into it!

I do not mind NSFW content, but I do not like it to be the main focus of the game. Also understand I only can read in English, I am not super expierenced in other languages.

I so far have been recommended Steins;Gate (which looks really intriguing to me) and Cartagra (feel free to list your opinions on those - I have not looked into them quite yet).

Thank you, looking forward to your recommendations~

There's a couple of TL'ed sci-fi visual novels, but most of them don't mix darker themes into the storylines. I'd agree on Demonbane, although I'd refrain from calling it sci-fi - it's more of a supernatural thriller relying on cthulhu mythos (think of Lovecraft's prose, it was based on) with some mechas and schizo-tech mixed in. The setting itself is based on early 20th century America.

I posted about Cannonball a while ago. Although the story itself remains more on the brighter side. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey would propably best fit the kind of stuff you'd love to see, but it's an OVA.

There's a couple of TL'ed sci-fi visual novels, but most of them don't mix darker themes into the storylines. I'd agree on Demonbane, although I'd refrain from calling it sci-fi - it's more of a supernatural thriller relying on cthulhu mythos (think of Lovecraft's prose, it was based on) with some mechas and schizo-tech mixed in. The setting itself is based on early 20th century America.

I posted about Cannonball a while ago. Although the story itself remains more on the brighter side. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Harlock: The Outside Legend would propably best fit into stuff you'd love to see, unfortunately it's an OVA.

Demonbane sounds really really interesting regardless, always been a fan of Lovecraft. And i'll look into those as well ^^ Thank you

Cartagra is not science fiction, it's a dark and gritty detective mystery

I'll recommend Sekien no Inganock. It's like fantasy sci-fi, a bit steampunky, and has a pretty dark and miserable dystopian setting. And if you liked it, try Shikkoku no Sharnoth as well. It ditches the misery for a more traditional steampunk setting, right down to taking place in Victorian London, but it's still fairly dark and interesting.

Cartagra is not science fiction, it's a dark and gritty detective mystery

I'll recommend Sekien no Inganock. It's like fantasy sci-fi, a bit steampunky, and has a pretty dark and miserable dystopian setting. And if you liked it, try Shikkoku no Sharnoth as well. It ditches the misery for a more traditional steampunk setting, right down to taking place in Victorian London, but it's still fairly dark and interesting.

I really like the look of both of these, actually.

Both Sekien and Sharnoth are actually pure steampunk tales, set in a dystopian universe created by Hikaru Sakurai. If anything, they have more in common with fantasy, since Sakurai often takes inspiration from fairly tales and myths from all around the world. Even though they aren't sci-fi, they are definately worth reading. You might fall in love with WAB series and Sakurai has a brilliant, captivating style that tends to engage readers to no end.

Demonbane, I/O, Muv Luv Unlimited and Alternative, and Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer. And do read Steins;Gate it's really good.

Quick question, I see many games listed as Demonbane under the visual novel database, just asking for clarification on which it is.

Both Sekien and Sharnoth are actually pure steampunk tales, set in a dystopian universe created by Hikaru Sakurai. If anything, they have more in common with fantasy, since Sakurai often takes inspiration from fairly tales and myths from all around the world. Even though it's not sci-fi, they are great stories. You might fall in love with WAB series and Sakurai has a brilliant, captivating style that tends to engage readers to no end.

As I said before, i'm really open to anything, but just looking for things around that style. These games look super intersting to me, especially the art style, I feel like it's something I might really love. I'll definitely check them out!

Hey man,

(mild inganock spoilers)

the protagonist straight up decks into a computer network and fights a digitized monster in Inganock.

It's not traditional sci-fi by any means, but steampunk can be considered a sub-genre of sci-fi and there is some more fantastical magic tech in inganock. 

Quick question, I see many games listed as Demonbane under the visual novel database, just asking for clarification on which it is.

As I said before, i'm really open to anything, but just looking for things around that style. These games look super intersting to me, especially the art style, I feel like it's something I might really love. I'll definitely check them out!

This one.

Haru Made, Kururu; Natsukumo Yururu; Himawari; Steins Gate; and arguably Ever17, are the only ones I'd classify as hard sci-fi though (as in legit science; I have a degee in that shit). However, only Steins Gate and Ever17 are translated at the moment, and Ever17 very poorly, too, as far as I know.

You can't go wrong with Liar's steampunk series (Inganock, Sharnoth and the others) either, though I have my reservations about calling them "science fiction"; they're more like fairy tales with steampunk elements that are just there for the atmosphere. Koestl has recently finished translating Gahktun, and I highly recommend getting that one once MG releases it. Both the work and the translator are brilliant.

Incidentally, some tag Grisaia Rakuen with a sci-fi tag as well, but whatever's in there gonna give you a heart attack if you ever as much opened a physics textbook in your life, haha.

EDIT: Oh fuck, forgot YU-NO. Not particularly hard, but pretty sciency fictiony and absolutely briiliant.

I'd say Remember11, though it lacks in the ending.

Ever17, are the only ones I'd classify as hard sci-fi though (as in legit science; I have a degee in that shit). However, only Steins Gate and Ever17 are translated at the moment, and Ever17 very poorly, too, as far as I know.

Poorly edited I believe, and there's a patch that fixes it too.

I've heard very mixed opinions on Chaos;head, what do you think of it?

Do get steins gate ASAP, quite easily one of the best stories I have ever read.

Other than that, You could try Muv Luv.

EDIT: Actually, get all of the stuff prom Nitroplus, they released: Steins gate, Chaos head and Notes: Robotics.

I've heard very mixed opinions on Chaos;head, what do you think of it?

It has good deal of mystery and the plot is pretty interesting. It is not as much of a masterpiece as steins gate, but it is still well done. Depending on your psyche, it can also be a bit scary, and there were times I got chills from some scenes. However, the protagonist is fairly unlikeable.. He often gets into panic attacks, he is secluded from the society, has very few friends, avoids contact with other people, etc.

I mean imagine an Otaku, and take it to ridiculously extremele levels.

At any rate I would heartily reccomend it.

• 5 years later...