If eroge would exist before the NEC PC's...

Narcosis

Another totally (not) important poll  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Cards on the table; their form unheard of. Something tells you to pick one of them. Which one?

• A progressive deadening of one's own soul.
    • Judgment taken form. Hand of mercy, hand of punishment.
    • Name unspoken; for it is death, darkness and decay. Boundless, everlasting and omnipresent. Chaos incarnate.
    • Wings, that cannot carry away.
    • Deceptive hope. A mesmerizing star, leading the way through darkness.

This poll is closed to new votes

I said the limitations of the 8-bit technology I never talked about a console referring to steins;gate I mentioned them just for the sake of to say how impressive the games were back then and I still do.

That's not limitations of 8-bit tech :) That's just 8-bit color map you mean, which actually only mean "1 pixel is defined by 8 bits". 8 set bits in decimal is 256, so this means 256 possible values. But this does not mean you cannot point color with 2 bytes and have 65535 colors on 8-bit system. Or put a powerful video card and have on same 8-bit system true color like on PC :)

Never mind, I was just in the mood to discuss ye olde days. Seems getting too old.

8 bits can handle that amount of data that's why is called 8 bit/1 byte, which means you can assign that limited amount of values and nothing more.

I'm tired and this topic is going nowhere specially if I have to use english to argument (which is really hard for me because is not my native language)

In fact, it's possible, but not as easy as using the higres or multicolor modes. C64 had a couple of alternative graphic modes, which were developed later on, mainly by the demoscene. They usually consist of tricky hardware hacks, that allowed to create and use bigger color pallettes. By utilizing bad scanline (called Caroline), which caused flickering on screen, as well as memory read/write delay; it was basically two pictures in one, which blinked alternately, creating an illusion that gave more colors.

No matter the 8bits, it was mostly massive hardware limitations, which decreased color pallettes; most pc's from that time (except NEC's) simply did not had enough memory to fit those pallettes inside, nor utilize them. Even NEC PC's couldn't display such huge pallettes from the start and it took NEC years to develop their machines further until hardware grew strong enough to handle them.

The real challenge comes in being able to use the highres or multicolor modes. Despite the fact most games used the latter, demoscene barely used multicolor mode, instead relying on the later developed MCI, FLI or IFLI modes. One of the main issues was the ammount of work and difficulty; you can't just artificially raise the pallete to achieve prefered results - you have to use those 16 colors available and put them to best use possible.

Despite that, one of the best looking traditional graphics on C64 were made using plain multicolor mode.

It's also the exact mode I'll be using for the graphics in this vn. Having more colors sounds fun, but it won't really make the game c64-esque, considering I'm just copying the graphics style while the game is made on a modern PC. That's why I decided to stick with the initial hardware limitations from c64 as much as possible, although it's not my primary objective. What I'm really aiming for is creating a truly nostalgic experience :yumiko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't usually post rough drafts, but some good folks asked whether I could show off at least a glimpse of what to expect. Enjoy.

I remember girls. I remember them well. Their faces, like it was yesterday. That look in their eyes, completely expressionless. Faces that couldn't even show the torment, because there was no strength left in them. They had torn their wings off and hanged them from a signpost; as a cruel reminder of sorts. They just left them hanging out on the street, almost naked and forbid anyone from coming near under a death threat. So they suffered. Under the hot summer sky. Their bare white skin exposed to the burning sun, cords cutting deep into their wrists. They cried and quivered, till they could. People often used to gather in front of them, but the outpost was too close. They couldn't help, so they just watched. Strong men with torn hearts, crying women, children who couldn't yet understand.
Days passed by. With every passing day, what little left of life there was, it left their bodies. One day an old man, who didn't have anything left to lose took a piece of cloth, drenched it in water and placed it on a long stick. People expected the worst, but officer on duty dismissed it with a nonchalant wave of his hand. One of the girls reacted. She lowered her head and sipped slowly, faintly moistening her cracked lips. A slight relief that couldn't soothe her pain. A ruthless sort of mercy. It was the last time I saw her move.
She died the next day. Right now I guess the younger one was already dead long ago before it happened. Reds didn't seem to care at all. It took an entire afternoon with all the women on the street to placate the patrolling soldiers. They finally took their bodies down. A shadow of their former selves, as if dolls, broken and thrown away. People took them outside the town. There was an old orchard above the hill, where they burried them under those endless blue skies. Without names, nor dates. Nothing. No one to mourn their deaths. With only a simple mark on their graves, they couldn't ask for rememberance. They became many of the nameless victims during that midsummer purge.

World will move on. People will finally forget. But I can't. Those faces continue to haunt me every night. And so long as I'll be left to live in this wretched world, I will continue to atone for my indifference.

• 8 months later...

wip_pc64_06.png

I had to scrap this unfinished cg and thought I might as well share it, so you can more or less see the whole process. Initially it doesn't really look that clean and lacks the dithering, I typically add later. I'm already looking into a faster way to draw c64 retro art on modern software, so I wouldn't have to do everything manually; paying attention to every single pixel out there is quite exhausting (that aside, aspect ratio issues are even worse).

Project isn't abandoned. It went on a slightly longer hiatus due to my late health complications, but I resumed work on it a while ago. Engine is nearly done and capable to replicate all the cool effects, which were typically used on C64.

More info at a later date. I'm preparing some preety cool stuff.