Ask a Fuwan (Advice thread)

Tyrael

Let the salt flow! But actually whenever I would get angry at someone online over some disagreement I imagine some situation in which I was ignorant or foolish. And then I think about all the times that I was sure I was right about something but was actually wrong. And after I've done that, I realize that a gentle hand is something to be appreciated, rather than a pushy, aggressive one. And who knows, maybe the salt was foolish in the first place.

Actually I'm not sure I'm the kind of person who should be giving advice like this. I actually don't know if I'm good at controlling myself or not. Sometimes I have a bad habit of being too sarcastic.

Things to work on things to work on ^_^

TL;DR you say nvm and get passive-aggressive when you're irritated  :rolleyes:

Story pls

I think I posted it in the confessions thread somewhere... not much of a story though.

Well these two examples and many other examples lead to one sole problem which is whenever I , from my subjective view, think that someone's doing something wrong and doesn't want to say that it is wrong, I look down on people too much people to the degree that I begin to force myself too much just to deal them. I know that I am not perfect but when I thought like this long ago, this made me look down on even myself too much. It was ok at the beginning because I started to improve how I live but with time, I just realized that I am a hopeless case and I keep blaming myself for many things in my life... an endless cycle of regrets and thinking that I am a worthless being and needing at many times people to comfort me/ compliment me. I tried to solve this many times but I just can't.

Edit: I just realized that I said I am a narcissist then denied it at the end. Well it started with me being a narcissist then I looked down on many things fron the pure subjective view of morals, diligence...etc..

Besides the looking down on yourself thing, I think that's pretty normal. We all have to deal with people we don't want to (there's always the option of just not dealing with them, but I take it you don't exactly want that), and if you're looking down on yourself that's probably not narcissism, sounds more like depression imo (not a doctor).

Skylake is cool.

In early 2015, some media reports stated that Intel considers Skylake to be its "most significant processor" for a decade, due to the enhanced power efficiency and wire-free capabilities.

I can't wait for wireless peripherals that don't need batteries.  I hate batteries.  I'm trying to decide which I want more: a wireless mouse without batteries, or one I can put in the dishwasher.

It's not narcissism if you really are better than them.  Maybe it's time to find a different circle of friends.

Well it's really hard to find such circle of friends... and does narcissism have to be you thinking that you are better when you are not? I don't think so. And well let's say that here in my highschool, good students among boys are almost non-existent while there are plenty of them among girls, I still think I am better than them and no one is as good as me making me having difficulty dealing with them since I am conscious of this all the time. Similarly to the club society but there I am using morals not grades and diligence. I fail to see where I can find a different circle of friends to my liking.

Sounds like she came running back to you as soon as you had something she wanted.  She sounds like the worst kind of parasite.  I can only judge from what you've told us, but I would end this relationship ASAP.  Confront her again, and if she starts avoiding you again, it's time to move on.  You're just being used.

The general impression I get from your post is that people are nice to you because you're useful to them.  Friendship is a 2-way street.  If you're doing all the giving, and you're not getting back anything in return, you're getting the short end of the stick.  Prune these parasitic relationships and replace them with relationships of mutual respect.

Well yeah I could think that she only apologized and talked to me again because she needed my help in exams... but I still somehow feel like I wanna brush off that thought away. Do I have to end it even if I like her? I don't really mind being used, I have been used most of the time and that's because I can only give since I don't need anything from others, if I am getting anything in return, it's compliments and being talked to. I think that's enough for an equivalent trade, right? I have never experienced any relationship of mutual respect irl and I doubt there are any. Humans tend to have relationships for either mutual interests or mutual goals. 

Other than that, how can I confront her again? And shouldn't I stick to the advice of my friend and confront her after senior year for the sake of having a rather clear mind during the senior year? According to him, he's saying that having a broken heart or being in a relationship both consume more time than thinking about a crush since you will be truly depressed if your heart was broken by a rejection and if a relationship rises, it will come with its problems which will probably make u have to stay away from your studying a lot.

Besides the looking down on yourself thing, I think that's pretty normal. We all have to deal with people we don't want to (there's always the option of just not dealing with them, but I take it you don't exactly want that), and if you're looking down on yourself that's probably not narcissism, sounds more like depression imo (not a doctor).

Well I will try to make the reason why I look down on people including myself similar. One should work towards perfection, he won't achieve it but he should work towards it. One shouldn't say I will probably fail since I didn't study and I am not a nerd. Geez you need these grades to enter the field of study that u want (I am not speaking about the people who won't go to college and will go and find a job instead which is a really hard option in Egypt). One shouldn't say it is ok to stab people in their backs since that's what all humans do and I am no different. Things that people do and say like that are what make me look down on them. Repeating mistakes instead of solving them which I am suffering from, myself. Being overweight mainly because of laziness (oh god I hate myself a lot for being overweight by like 20-25 kgs). These are all examples of things I look down on and will probably look down on almost every second in my life. I find it hard to ignore it and as time goes, dealing with people that do some of these things becomes harder for me and at many times, becomes nearly impossible. And that's the problem , I wanna be more easygoing with people, I don't want me looking down on them make any difference to the way I feel when I am dealing with them. I still can't explain it well... ugh.... A friend of mine once told me in middle school: "you are being harsh on yourself and other people, you should loosen up a little and be more easygoing." I think that pretty much sums it up... probably.

There's online tests available to see if you have Narcissistic tendencies.  I took it because I was curious, but oddly enough, I don't.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

got a score of 25 I KNEW I WAS A NARCISSIST 

Welp, relationship problems solved, we broke up (which he doesn't mind, turns out he had a similar mindset to me) 

I think that's good because it didn't seem like it was going to work out well and if he had a similar mindset to you then all's good. I hope that it doesn't get to you at all. Depression sucks in general, stay away from it by any means.

That may indicate a personality disorder.  You might want to see professional help about this rather than ask for further advice in this thread.

Well that would be terribly hard to do here, you see , anyone who goes to therapists (no matter what their disease is and how serious it is) is viewed as a psycho or more like a mad man who people should stay away from. I wouldn't want this to happen and I already asked my parents if I can go to a therapist if I feel the need to , the answer was :" no because of our society so you better live with whatever problems you have and try to solve them yourself" which is what I am trying to do. I know I shouldn't give in to the foolish people around me but I don't wanna be viewed as a weirdo with mental diseases who people shouldn't have anything to do with. This is how it is in third world countries sadly. 

Well that would be terribly hard to do here, you see , anyone who goes to therapists (no matter what their disease is and how serious it is) is viewed as a psycho or more like a mad man who people should stay away from. I wouldn't want this to happen and I already asked my parents if I can go to a therapist if I feel the need to , the answer was :" no because of our society so you better live with whatever problems you have and try to solve them yourself" which is what I am trying to do. I know I shouldn't give in to the foolish people around me but I don't wanna be viewed as a weirdo with mental diseases who people shouldn't have anything to do with. This is how it is in third world countries sadly. 

Move here. You can sleep on my sofa and go to therapist. And I can give you love

Alright.  I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not a mental health professional; I'm merely a scientist and a thinker.  Judge my words accordingly.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, narcissism doesn't appear to be a genetic disorder; rather it's more associated with one's environment and how one was raised.  More than likely, your parents are part of the problem.  That means, on this issue, that their judgment can't be trusted.  Disregard what they say and seek opinions from other people you can trust to be honest with you.

This forum is poorly equipped to help you with this issue.  I can provide rational non-expert advice based on my own spontaneous research, which may or may not be useful to you.  I could possibly demonstrate how your attitudes are out of touch with reality.  But, if I were you,  I would find a forum where narcissists (in treatment or in recovery) hang out and pick their brains.  They'll be in a better position to help you.  They might also be able to hold up a mirror for you and show how loathsome such tendencies can be.

I got a score of 5 on that narcissism test. I guess that means I'm the opposite of a narcissist, then...? Makes sense, considering my normal level of self esteem. (Hint: I don't really have any)

The test is designed to diagnose narcissism.  A low score indicates "not narcissistic" and nothing else.  It does not indicate or suggest depression.  Take the appropriate test if you want to gauge depressive symptoms. 

She clearly stated in this thread that she didn't feel like she actually 'loved' him. Seems like he felt the same.

Oh.. do people really need to be physically attracted to each other to be able to 'love' each other and stay together?

I got a score of 5 on that narcissism test. I guess that means I'm the opposite of a narcissist, then...? Makes sense, considering my normal level of self esteem. (Hint: I don't really have any)

I didn't take it, but I'm pretty sure i'm not either.. probably for similar reasons as you, lol.

HAHA I got 2, I'm better than you!

Wait...  :mellow:

Yeah, that's not great. The whole point of therapists is to have people go to them, and if you're stigmatized if you do...

Move here. You can sleep on my sofa and go to therapist. And I can give you love

Trust me, I will move anywhere better than this whenever I can and whenever there's a good opportunity (I can't even afford traveling fees :sachi: )  so dawg I will can't plus I am not into bestiality, sorry

Nah it doesn't mean that u have no confidence in yourself, the question themselves seemed to either have a narcissistic answer or a modest answer. If you choose 35 modest answers, then you are just not narcissist. 

Alright.  I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not a mental health professional; I'm merely a scientist and a thinker.  Judge my words accordingly.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, narcissism doesn't appear to be a genetic disorder; rather it's more associated with one's environment and how one was raised.  More than likely, your parents are part of the problem.  That means, on this issue, that their judgment can't be trusted.  Disregard what they say and seek opinions from other people you can trust to be honest with you.

This forum is poorly equipped to help you with this issue.  I can provide rational non-expert advice based on my own spontaneous research, which may or may not be useful to you.  I could possibly demonstrate how your attitudes are out of touch with reality.  But, if I were you,  I would find a forum where narcissists (in treatment or in recovery) hang out and pick their brains.  They'll be in a better position to help you.  They might also be able to hold up a mirror for you and show how loathsome such tendencies can be.

I might not have mentioned this before but I do know the roots of the problem and how it arose, I just don't know how to solve it.... now that I think about it, I never thought that such forums might exist but this is the internet so maybe they do exist... just gotta do some research.

Yeah, that's not great. The whole point of therapists is to have people go to them, and if you're stigmatized if you do...

There's a reason therapist is one of the least wanted jobs here :D But yeah I guess I can't go to one, at least not at this time , maybe when I grow up a little, I would have better circumstances to be able to do it but hey I will try to be optimistic  and say I would solve it before that time comes.

Also, I think Clephas said he's a recovering narcissist.  Try talking to him.  He might have useful advice.

Imma go talk to him when I muster the courage to since I never talked to him before despite being around for a while, then again I was never active on the forums, he doesn't bite, does he?

Imma go talk to him when I muster the courage to since I never talked to him before despite being around for a while, then again I was never active on the forums, he doesn't bite, does he?

He doesn't bite... he just eats people whole. :> no but don't worry he's a pretty cool guy

@hsms - about your female friend problem.. I'd say just go confront her.  I know it'll be awkward, but sometimes it's better than agonizing over the possibilities forever.  If you wait, it's still most likely going to end up the same way.  In my opinion, if a guy tells a girl he's interested... and she doesn't respond or follow-up on it, it means She's Not Interested in dating you (or just wants to stay friends, not wanting to ruin the way things currently are).  

It's really up to you whether you want to keep what you have with her.. if you don't mind feeling the way you do (unrequitted) and want to stay friends.  Just know, you're sorta letting her do this to you, and if you want it to stop, you have to let her know.