Fuwa pls - Tags?

They have been gone for months actually.
It's because of the feature to use tags as prefixes.
Or else this could happen, you wouldn't want this to happen :makina:

gyFZIg3.png

Ideally a list of available tags would be made, just like there is for Ongoing Projects, so users can pick from those and use the main one as a prefix.

I find it suspicious that the feature disappeared a few days after I suggested that thread tags could be used to target affiliate links.

I'm not sure how this would be possible, tags are only used to find threads in the forum, they can't do anything else.

The tags were taken out of the Ongoing Projects board so we could keep it better-organized (prefixes, demo-release, etc.). Outside of that board, though, tags were disabled because several users spoke up about wanting to standardize them. According to my notes, there were 2-3 groups brainstorming this in various PMs.

Those groups clearly died out : P, but I think it's still a good idea to potentially come up with tag lists for each board. The tags feature was very rarely used, frankly, in large part because people were making tons of outlandish, dumb tags that would only be used once. < the one I made mention of in my notes, which has since been deleted but which shall live on forever in our hearts, was, "#stickittothemanwithAMAthreads"

You know who you are. : P

Having VN titles in the VN Discussion board, for example, might be a good idea.

That would make for quite an insanely long list of tags :P

What would be helpful is if you'd be able to start typing the tag and then the drop down menu would start narrowing down the choices according to what you typed, basically like VNDB.

But yeah the list of standardized tags was mentioned at some point in time, it was just never rolled out and since most users never use tags anyway it just diededed.

This is already been discussed and was a bad idea...

I didn't really use the tags so this doesn't affect me :P

Good luck with the talk.

how is it a bad idea? If you're being talked about you have a right to know what was said unless its on the mod forums

how is it a bad idea? If you're being talked about you have a right to know what was said unless its on the mod forums

There's already an option to give you a notification when someone quotes you, that should suffice if people are replying to you.

I don't want a notification everytime someone writes the word "nosebleed".

I think anytime someone mentions your name you should get a notification so you can view what was said

You try to connect on an IRC channel with a retarded nickname like "Down" with ping activated and see what happens. Bonus point for fansub channels that totally never use the word "download".

I'm not sure how this would be possible, tags are only used to find threads in the forum, they can't do anything else.

Why not?  Let's say a thread is tagged "School Days".  That would trigger an ad / affiliate-link for School Days to spawn at the side of the page.  It could even be a codified as a widget that displays context-based ads / affiliate links based on various cues.  Tags are a very straightforward way to target these, but I'm sure we could imagine other cues as well.  People post their VNDB profiles, right?  Someone designed a program that makes automatic recommendations based on how you score VNs in your VNDB list.  Using that, you could actually make user-specific VN recommendations that could be featured in the ad widget.

What I'm saying is I don't believe tags have any of those capabilities, from a technical point of view, but maybe someone that understands the IPB software better than me can tell you for sure.

If anything you could make a general ad space in threads, but I think that's as far as one could go with it, I don't believe you can actually specify it.

And more to the point, do you want to watch the world burn by putting ads in threads?

Or else this could happen, you wouldn't want this to happen :makina:

gyFZIg3.png

Ideally a list of available tags would be made, just like there is for Ongoing Projects, so users can pick from those and use the main one as a prefix.

Yeah that could be pretty bad.

However I would like to take this opportunity to humbly request for tagging powers for us board mods.

It would be nice to have for our relevant boards at least. For example 2 new OELVN threads have been moved

to Ongoing, one by Eclipsed and another by me. Both threads lack tags and we can't add those till a Gmod

realises it or project leaders ask for it.

And more to the point, do you want to watch the world burn by putting ads in threads?

You can't expect Tay to shoulder the $50-100 in server fees a month forever.  Properly targeted ads could be viewed as a feature rather than a nuisance.  People might actually appreciate direct shop links to games they're interested in.  And people are always asking for recommendations--I think there'd be actual demand for a widget that could provide automatic recommendations that were actually relevant and user-customized.

We already have ads plastered all over the forums.  They're called "signatures".

Yeah that could be pretty bad.

However I would like to take this opportunity to humbly request for tagging powers for us board mods.

It would be nice to have for our relevant boards at least. For example 2 new OELVN threads have been moved

to Ongoing, one by Eclipsed and another by me. Both threads lack tags and we can't add those till a Gmod

realises it or project leaders ask for it.

Alack. You have found my weakness. What Helvetica asks for, Helvetica gets.

Give me a sec and then go try it and see if you've got permissions, now.

EDIT: Ok, go ahead and give it a test.