Looking for a visual novel to read

Sick0ne

Hello,

I know the tittle isn't very indicative, but I couldn't decide on it, since my preferences for a visual novel are very vague, as I have so far only played through three visual novels (G-senjou no Maou, Katawa Shoujo, Fate/stay night). 

To get to the topic at hand - I am looking for a visual novel with realistic, mature characters (I don't mind a high school setting, or the characters being teenagers, but I don't want them to be "dense"), who are able to objectively judge the situation at hand and act according to what they are capable of.

Examples of characteristics I did not like:

Fate -> Emiya being awfully pretentious and wanting to do everything alone, which is often idiotic when viewed objectively

Key works -> Comedy portrayed through exceedingly childish characters

Characeristics I liked:

G-senjou -> Kyousuke being someone who can objectively judge both what's happening and his own abilities

Katawa Shoujo -> I liked Hisao since he was portrayed as a normal human with whom I could relate, due to his decissions being those of a "real person"

So to summarize, I don't like characters with exaggerated traits (eg. childishness, overconfidence, valour, being a pervert etc.). It's not that I don't like really powerful characters or characters with extraordinary abilities, but I would still like to see them portrayed as persons with "realistic" mindsets.

For the story - I like stories in which romance plays an important role (however I came to see that romance is present in almost all visual novels) and the relationship between the couple is developed beyond just awkward talk and a kiss. Otherwise I have no preferences regarding the genre, as long as the story is interesting.

I hope that you will be able to decipher what I like from these examples and am looking forward to hearing some recommendations.

Yes I know that naive characters are almost always present. However being new when it comes to visual novels, all the experience I have is in anime, where most of the series I REALLY enjoyed were those where the characters traits were at least semi-believable.

What I most dislike about such writing is that most of the comedy presented in a story is then based solely on the on trait and is often plainly forced...

I am not looking for an entirely serious story where everything must be completely realistic... I wouldn't be playing visual novels then, but reading books =P, however I'd like to keep the "emberassing" traits of characters to a minimum...

Beyond talk and kiss is sex you know :lol:

Well then...maybe Princess Evangile will do.

I think you should try Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. It has a protagonist that is really great much like Kyousuke. It is actually made by the same developers as G-Senjou no Maou. I found both of the games to be very good and if you like one, you will probably like the other. Plus, the fan disc is also translated, which I also recommend you play.

If you don't mind comedy in the common route you should try Grisaia no Kajitsu, it has a great protagonist if not slightly OP... But it's kind of justified? Anyway, that game is great as well.

I second Grisaia no Kajitsu. While a few of the characters do have over exaggerated traits, and Yuuji is a bit too much of a badass, the reasoning for who and what they all are is realistic and makes sense. I definitely recommend it. 

I was looking at Sharin no Kuni before, but I'll read some reviews before deciding.

I feel reluctant to read Grisaia no Kaijitsu, as I have already seen the anime and therefore know most of the plot, which imo makes for not such a great experience, even though the VN might be better.

I'll check out all of the recommendations in detail tommorow, as it is getting really late (I spent waaaaay too much time looking for something to read/play...)

I wouldn't exactly recommend Grisaia no Kajitsu if you're looking for realistic mindsets. The protagonist will pretty much solve the problem in the most unexpected ways (turkey, anyone?) but I guess it aligns with the "who are able to objectively judge the situation at hand and act according to what they are capable of" part that you want. The characters are quite capable and the situations really brings out the worst in humanity. So yeah it goes partly with what you want and then maybe not.

My personal recommendation would be ef - a fairy tale of the two (https://vndb.org/v88).The characters are pretty likable and also relatable and they are in the point where they make some important decisions in their lives. Well at least the first tale is. I do believe the characters have enough realistic mindsets.

That's not some easy requirements you're giving out but I'll mention the VNs I have read where the protagonist is somewhat realistic in the sense of personality but I won't stay away from unrealistic stories since you didn't mention anything about that. Someone will probably correct me is i'm wrong as my memory isn't the best.

Ayakashibito the story is unrealistic with powers involved, the mc might be somewhat unjustified op but he still has a hard time against his enemies, it's a good VN but it has alot of h-scenes and some tags that may turn some people away. He's mature and he has none of the personality traits you mentioned but perhaps dense, I can't recall wether or not he was dense, he wasn't unbeliavable so since I can't recall atleast.

Grisaia no Kajitsu you said you didn't wanna read grisaia because you've watched it on anime but i'll still recommend it as the VN is, in my opinon, alot better, the VN sususally are.

Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo allready been a few recommendations for this one and ill so again, it's a good VN with a good MC, he's not dense as far as I rememeber and not perverted at all, he's mature and he's a high school student.

Symphonic Rain a good VN with a avarage personality protagonist, mature and not op in any sense compared to the three above. The gameplay in this VN is optional so don't let that scare you away.

Thank you for all the recommendations!

I will probably go ahead and read Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo, and decide what else to read after that.

I might have given off a wrong impression with this thread though =/ I don't mind unrealistic/fantasy stories. Not at all. I don't mind unique characters with a defining feature. The one thing that bothers me is if the character has a specific trait which is then used to fuel the entire comedy of the show.

I know I am talking about key works here without actually reading the VN's and I realize they might be FAR better than I think, but I cannot paint a picture of my ideal characters without relating to anime, since I have simply not read enough VN's. So to take for example Clannad - I dislike how the comedy is based on various interactions like between Sunohara and Tomoyo, where they fight for no apparent reason, and the fighting is REALLY exaggerated.

I second Grisaia no Kajitsu. While a few of the characters do have over exaggerated traits, and Yuuji is a bit too much of a badass, the reasoning for who and what they all are is realistic and makes sense. I definitely recommend it. 

Wanting to stab people just because your dad is a dick, isn't really realistic imo.

I know I am talking about key works here without actually reading the VN's and I realize they might be FAR better than I think, but I cannot paint a picture of my ideal characters without relating to anime, since I have simply not read enough VN's. So to take for example Clannad - I dislike how the comedy is based on various interactions like between Sunohara and Tomoyo, where they fight for no apparent reason, and the fighting is REALLY exaggerated.

If you're gonna go for a KEY that's not like that than i'd say planeterian or rewrite might be the best choice for you to try out KEY with if you ever will.

Well, I finished reading Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo two days ago, and I must say, I enjoyed reading it, although some of the plot was somewhat predictable. Even though I probably enjoyed G-senjou no Maou (I am making comparissons, since both works are from the same author and therefore have a similar feel), the story, character development and visuals of Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo were good (I didn't like the Touka arc as much as the others however).

I am thinking of trying out a Key work now. I am thinking, as Rabbit recommmended, of going with either Planetarian or Rewrite, or maybe even Little Busters, since I have not yet seen the anime adaptation of those works (or they don't exist =P). However, having seen the 1st few episodes of the Little Busters anime, I don't think I would enjoy the characters very much.

Which one should I go for next? 

Yes, I think I'll go with Rewrite. However I'd like to ask how much time I have to put aside for it. Himawari no shoujo was supposed to be around 10+ hours, while it says for rewrite that it takes more than 50 hours to complete... Is that time meant for a single route or a full playthrough?

Grisaia is a good option, as is Comyu or Ayakashibito.  Soushichi (the protagonist of Ayakashibito) isn't very objective, but he is capable and reasonably intelligent.  Comyu... I think you'd like the dystopian feel of it, though you might or might not like the protagonist, Akihito (I seem to be in the minority for liking him). 

A few untranslated ones that might fit your needs: Bradyon Veda, Hello Lady, Tokyo Babel, Evolimit, Akatsuki no Goei (series), Komorebi no Nostalgica, Hapymaher, Konata yori Kanata made, Rui wa Tomo wo Yobu just to name a few...

Yes, I think I'll go with Rewrite. However I'd like to ask how much time I have to put aside for it. Himawari no shoujo was supposed to be around 10+ hours, while it says for rewrite that it takes more than 50 hours to complete... Is that time meant for a single route or a full playthrough?

For the entire thing it takes more than 50 hours but even just playing one route and getting through the common route will take a very large chunk of time. It's probably has the longest common route I've ever read.

Also, I really hope that you don't judge Little Busters by the anime. The visual novel is so much better and I'm not just saying that. The anime is just really bad. Most VN adaptations are. The only anime visual novel adaptation that I'd recommend to someone as of now is Clannad. 

For the entire thing it takes more than 50 hours but even just playing one route and getting through the common route will take a very large chunk of time. It's probably has the longest common route I've ever read.

Also, I really hope that you don't judge Little Busters by the anime. The visual novel is so much better and I'm not just saying that. The anime is just really bad. Most VN adaptations are. The only anime visual novel adaptation that I'd recommend to someone as of now is Clannad. 

come on!!! clannad is really bad compared to the vn! :(

come on!!! clannad is really bad compared to the vn! :(

Well I disliked the 1st season, but after story was still really good in my opinion ^^. I already started Rewrite now, although that might be somewhat suicidal, since I'm currently in the middle of my finals which I have to ace in order to get into my university of choice xD.

Also, I might try Little Busters later, but for now I think I'm going to go with some other recommendations here :P

try planetarian first, it's really short :) btw you should really really read Sharin no Kuni  Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo the Houzuki's route only, about 10 hours long, it's even better than the first sharin no kuni (at least for me it was)

I only played through the Natsumi route of Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo so far :P. So I think I might try and play through the other routes before going for Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo. 

Anyhow I already started playing Rewrite now ^^