Choose One to Save

Kurokusari

Choose one  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Yourself, Your Wife/Husband, Your Child?

This poll is closed to new votes

Assuming that I have a wife and kid then I would choose to save the kid. If I had a kid then I would probably love them enough to put my life on the line for them (even if the kid embodied everything I hated I probably still couldn't help myself from saving them anyway). If I didn't have a kid then I would choose my wife because of protective instincts I guess, honestly if it's anyone I have feelings for then I would put my life to save theirs. I'm not 100% sure why since it's a pure emotional response.

When I eventually become a mother I wouldn't even have to think about it, I would save my child. I made it. It's half of me. In a way, it's almost like saving myself.

Humans are selfish. It's debatable that the most selfish choice is to die and let your child/spouse live. They would have to live on with the pain of losing the both of you and you get to die a hero. 

I would for sure save my child, for a few reasons. One, I have a lot of family that would take very good care of him/her, and I know they would be in good hands, as well as me and my wife having lived a (hopefully) decently long life, while our child still has so much to experience. The hardest part for me would be never seeing them again, and having to have them go through the pain of living the rest of their lives without their parents. And not being able to apologize enough that I won't be able to be there for them in the future.

I would save my child. I can't imagine being married to someone (or myself) practically killing their child to save themselves. Of coarse I would want to spend more time with the person I love, but I would want to give my child a future to experience the joys of life and the downs as well. 

If by my own decision I chose to get married and then have a child again by my own decision and will, I would save my child, I brought him/her to this world therefore it will always be like this: my child>me>my wife's life.

Buy I don't plan to have kids or get married so.. xD

I guess that would be a display of maternal instinct? Experiencing those downs is part of life so your child would've experienced it too at some point in their life, just a bit earlier than normal. I really can't say anything good in letting your spouse live since the two most important part of their life is already gone. 

Why doesn't anyone love their spouse that much?

I actually agree with you. I was just addressing that some people really do consider that a more selfish choice. I could actually see a kid getting angry at his/her parents for leaving them all alone and maybe even wishing for death in their place. A lot of people were saying how selfish they were for picking their own life, so I was just bringing up an opposing argument to that. I think that if you live there is a possibility for happiness and that is reason enough to.  

And yeah, I have noticed that too. Where is the love for spouses? 

It makes sense that people are picking to save their child first but I just have trouble believing that so many people would save themselves over their spouse after that. If you love someone enough to marry them... I am just going to have to take a guess that many people here don't actually have a spouse to compare this to.  :makina:

Not that I do but I do have a significant other. So, I sort of get it? Idk

You're right I don't but I would imagine my mother/father maybe even step-mother would go to those lengths for me or my brother. Maybe my parents love me to much? idk

It makes sense that people are picking to save their child first but I just have trouble believing that so many people would save themselves over their spouse after that. If you love someone enough to marry them... I am just going to have to take a guess that many people here don't actually have a spouse to compare this to.  :makina:

I'm not exactly sure if I get what you are saying in response to my post. Looking back at my post, I might have phrased it weird... I agree that a (good) parent and that I would as a parent save my child first. I just don't understand people that say that their priorities list is themselves over their child and spouse. I could see them saying that if they don't have either but if they did, it would be strange. I think a normal priorities list to save them would be 1.) Child 2.) Spouse 3.) Themselves... This might sound like idealist garbage to some but I don't care.

And that is amazing if your parents and step-mother would do that for you. You can never love your kids too much~  :sachi:

I'm not exactly sure if I get what you are saying in response to my post. Looking back at my post, I might have phrased it weird... I agree that a (good) parent and that I would as a parent save my child first. I just don't understand people that say that their priorities list is themselves over their child and spouse. I could see them saying that if they don't have either but if they did, it would be strange. I think a normal priorities list to save them would be 1.) Child 2.) Spouse 3.) Themselves... This might sound like idealist garbage to some but I don't care.

And that is amazing if your parents and step-mother would do that for you. You can never love your kids too much~  :sachi:

Well like a dog, you also take care of your child. I also love my dog but I don't think I'll throw away my life for her. I don't think my dog would want that either.

When the lady driving the car told me "You could've just bought a new dog!", I replied "It's fine. Mama could've just made a new kid." 

I felt pretty cool saying that with 10.

well, honestly i don't know what i would do then if the situation where i should pick one of the three of my (provided i really get married and have a child) family. But, really, idealistically i'd pick my child's life over me and my wife. since if by that time there's someone who i will love and the feeling is mutual then she'd understand why i'd pick that option and would support me with smile (not trying to be the mr know-it-all asshole and shove my ideal to my will-be-wife though).

given my sentimental personality i'd probably regret at whatever option i pick after i really do it. i'd probably even regret my option of saving my child and giving my will-be-wife to the reaper, and not even trying to save the other one even if the probability is literally nil, or the opposite of it. but all this talk only positive if i have time to think about it.

but really, if i really got no time to think about it and i just have to rely on my reflexes and time, i'd probably either :

- try to save everybody and got all three of us killed.

- froze on the spot and watch the two of them got killed (by whatever it is, srsly) and spending the rest of my life as a miserable fussy sissy who couldn't let go of the regret.

- saving my child/wife. probably my child.

- got somekind of hidden abilities triggered up and beat the fuck up whatever is killing us. :makina:

because you know what? the strongest emotion is fear, and fear of death is natural for whoever (whatever) is alive.

the only question is which one do you fear more. death, or the fact that you'd lose someone precious to you?

because you know what? the strongest emotion is fear, and fear of death is natural for whoever (whatever) is alive.

the only question is which one do you fear more. death, or the fact that you'd lose someone precious to you?

fear?.......

in my opinion, i won't say "fear" if "lose someone precious to you" .... more like "suffering" .......

Everyone will die someday,.... sooner or later ..... when the time really come, none can stop the death.

well, i only want to say is.... when you need to attend your precious child funeral.......  ....... .......

Edit:

(Ps: when read back what i write.....

look like i failed to express what i want to say...... sry my english bad)

I've always thought that parents cared for their children because of parental love or just because abandonment of child is against the law.

Not as much talking about the care as the point of altruistic behavior and self-sacrifice, for which yes there is an evolutionary component.  I'm sure cultural values play a large role too of course. 

Honestly, no clue. On the one hand I'm inclined to say I'd save the kid, because parental instincts and all that jazz. But currently I have no desire to ever have a kid, and if that doesn't change if have one, then I'd probably save my wife. And finally, as much as I don't care too much about myself and want to hope I'd do the "right" thing, survival instincts are still a thing. So yeah.. I know this is a hypothetical question, but I just don't know.

I actually agree with you. I was just addressing that some people really do consider that a more selfish choice. I could actually see a kid getting angry at his/her parents for leaving them all alone and maybe even wishing for death in their place. A lot of people were saying how selfish they were for picking their own life, so I was just bringing up an opposing argument to that. I think that if you live there is a possibility for happiness and that is reason enough to.  

I had a significant other for a long time. Can confirm this is true (at least in my situation):

izGfZ6i.png

Because this thread is too long, I TL;DR.

Here is my post farm thought on the matter:

I'm a male which means I'm fertile till the day I die, so my wife and kid are all expendable, as I can always live another day to reproduce again.  Sorry any future family, but I'm more biologically stable and timeless compared to your most probable post menopause ovaries and my unreliably stupid child.  I place trust in myself over either of them. 

I would awake. Fruitless nightmares :makina:.

As the one of two peoples that chose 'none', I think that is fair explain why.

The basic premise is: I couldn't choose another option.

Expanding my line of think:

-Why not myself?

Because I would not endure this.

If I think of this imaginary family, they are peoples that I most cared for, peoples that probably changed my way of living, peoples that are too good to even be with me.

I undervalue myself, and without these peoples, my heart and mind would be broken apart, being haunted forever with "It's your fault that they died.", "You choose yourself, and lost your reason to life.", "And now that your happiness ended again, do you think that fond memories will worth your painful life for now on?", "I'm not worth enough, I should have died that day, not having to choose anyone".

And then, I would probably suicide, turning the entire effort useless. Or I would live a life without reason, being basically dead, something that no one that loved me would want.

-Why not my wife? Or your child?

Because in both cases, someone would be burdened.

I'm a burden, a empty husk, a loner; I'm very aware of this. Even so, someone chose to be with me; I can only imagine a yandere-type girl as a valid answer. Saving only her bugs me with several reasons "With her personality, wouldn't she simply go after us?", "Or, if she doesn't, I have gifted her with a life without her possessions; could I call this fair?", "Even if somehow she overcome my death, overcoming our child's death must be impossible".

As to our child, this traumatic event would surely leave sequelae. His life will be harsh; without parents to care, follow, share, teach... Living with guilty, because Otou-san and Oka-san died protecting him. I don't doubt that he will survive, but at what cost? Being forever shackled in your past, could he really find happiness with my decision?.

In summary: I couldn't choose another option, because I could not afford leaving someone to suffer the lost ones.

I had a significant other for a long time. Can confirm this is true (at least in my situation):

izGfZ6i.png

That is so messed up.  :amane:  

From what I have personally seen, this is inaccurate. Of course, I have seen terrible relationships like that but that picture doesn't apply to everyone. People are unique and carry many possibilities with them.